Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I can't believe all the positive comments on the crackberry forum. Why do people think it's such a great device? It's not fantastic looking, imho, and no one really knows whether BB10 will actually work or be worth using in the first place. So is it just people who are so set in their ways that they will hold out for something, even though it could prove out to be complete crap? RIM has done nothing right for the past 4 years - why do people give them credit when they've done nothing to earn that credit?

I get it that the Apple followers do similar things, but Apple's been very good at proving out the value of what they're producing.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I can't believe all the positive comments on the crackberry forum. Why do people think it's such a great device? It's not fantastic looking, imho, and no one really knows whether BB10 will actually work or be worth using in the first place. So is it just people who are so set in their ways that they will hold out for something, even though it could prove out to be complete crap? RIM has done nothing right for the past 4 years - why do people give them credit when they've done nothing to earn that credit?

I get it that the Apple followers do similar things, but Apple's been very good at proving out the value of what they're producing.

I personally think it is nice looking, it is something different.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I think the body looks pretty good and really like the videos. I'm surprised to see so many people saying it's too late for RIM rather than wishing them to do well.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
As someone said, I think this product will dramatically slow RIM's marketshare bleed, and earn back some BB loyalists. The UI certainly looks better than stock android JB. I don't mean features, I mean pure aesthetics and flow of UI elements.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
It has no chance unless it is rooted out of the box with some killer feature. And I don't see anything special about this Blackberry. Rim is deadman walking.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It looks good. Great job, Blackberry. Now, price it at $99 on two-year contract and put it on all carriers.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
RIM best drop their software ASAP and jump on the Android bandwagon.
They should learn from Nokia and NOT go with Windows Phone but Android.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
RIM best drop their software ASAP and jump on the Android bandwagon.
They should learn from Nokia and NOT go with Windows Phone but Android.

I'm actually looking forward to the Nokia vs. RIM battle. RIM is hanging on dispite not coming out with a new phone in what a year now? Meanwhile, Nokia has released a number of new phones and last I heard is still trying to catch up to RIM.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I was a huge Blackberry fan and they were my first foray into smartphones. I cherished my Curve many many moons ago, as I cherished my Bold. I suffered through their Storm years hoping they'd finally take off in the touch screen world. But time and time again, they failed, and the wait continued. Until, at last, I gave up.

People are still waiting.

It's not that we wish RIM poorly, it's just that they have to climb out of a huge ditch to earn back people's trust. So far, I'm not seeing a single thing that would motivate me that would pry me from either iOS/Android, heck even Windows, to go rushing back to them.

Just me.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Very handsome device. This is how the iPhone 5 should have looked instead of the fragile 'jewel' you're afraid to use without a case. I hope RIM gets back some of the corporate business they've lost. Business's have no loyalty to iPhone or Android and will come back if this is a good device with an OS to match.

This looks like a phone you can toss on the table without it getting scratched to hell and back.
_MG_2241_edited.jpg

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I dropped an iP4S and an Android (Razr) for BB. I'm on my 9930 waiting for my upgrade... pretty interesting stuff coming down the pike from the videos we Crackberry faithful have been seeing...

I had the 9900 and it was a pos, not sure how you can downgrade back to a dumbphone.

As for the new phone, the hardware looks decent but you know it will all be just plastic. I still don't understand why RIM insists on putting the charging port on the side and the power button on the top. Even with the 9900 the power button was uncomfortable to press and this phone is even taller, just an awkward design.

Software wise, it's a grid of icons like iOS with Android's on screen keys on the bottom. Don't see much that would make it stand out.

If RIM is counting on the loyalty of their previous customers then this phone won't take them very far as almost everyone I know has dropped BB and wouldn't go back.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I was a huge Blackberry fan and they were my first foray into smartphones. I cherished my Curve many many moons ago, as I cherished my Bold. I suffered through their Storm years hoping they'd finally take off in the touch screen world. But time and time again, they failed, and the wait continued. Until, at last, I gave up.

People are still waiting.

It's not that we wish RIM poorly, it's just that they have to climb out of a huge ditch to earn back people's trust. So far, I'm not seeing a single thing that would motivate me that would pry me from either iOS/Android, heck even Windows, to go rushing back to them.

Just me.

Hmm...I too have had many BBs throughout the years. In fact my first smartphone was a Pearl. I loved the thing! After that I got the storm and unlike literally every other person that had it I actually liked it....a lot. Mine worked perfectly and the UI was attractive. I've also had the curve and the bold.

Somehow, even though these phones are pretty basic I enjoyed them more than any other phone I've had. Probably because of BBM and their push alerts.

I REALLY hope they have hit a home run with their new software. Everyone needs to experience the beauty of BBM. iMessage blows compared ;)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
All I know is that a lot of my friends have stopped using BB's. The only 2 reasons the rest have stuck around is the physical keyboard and BBM but without a physical keyboard I have no doubt they'll abandon ship.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
So all you gotta say is it looks sleek? No comment about how it looks "similar" to an iphone or anything negative? Why do I get the feeling if that was a Samsung, you would call it a blatant rip-off of the iPhone. Hmm....in fact this BB looks like a Samsung that many including you have called a blatant ripoff of the iPhone.
Here ya go...right down to the dimpled back cover. You know the one that all the fanboys like to call flimsy cheap plastic. Why not the same comment for this new BB? I guess those comments are only reserved for a company that actually poses a threat to Apple.

Personally, I expect phones to look similar. There's only so many ways to design a rectangular device. I'm liking this new BB, the only thing I don't like is the bezel. I think it's a little to big all the way around.
There's no point in bashing underdogs.
Edit: And also because BB once used to be a innovative company and had a similar approach: quality, not quantity (Samsung, Htc, etc..)

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Very handsome device. This is how the iPhone 5 should have looked instead of the fragile 'jewel' you're afraid to use without a case. I hope RIM gets back some of the corporate business they've lost. Business's have no loyalty to iPhone or Android and will come back if this is a good device with an OS to match.

This looks like a phone you can toss on the table without it getting scratched to hell and back.

No way. That device looks boring and predictable. Plus it has been done before. It looks like a smaller Droid X from 2+ years ago!

Apple would've gotten so much crap for making a device that conservative.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
No way. That device looks boring and predictable. Plus it has been done before. It looks like a smaller Droid X from 2+ years ago!

Apple would've gotten so much crap for making a device that conservative.

Conservative? Hello iPhone 4s and 5!

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Conservative? Hello iPhone 4s and 5!

The 4S is a carry-over from the 4. When the 4 was released, no other company had the skill to make a phone that looked desirable like the 4. Glass on both sides of the phone was a true achievement that had everyone drooling.

The 5 looks amazing. Especially in black. I don't see plastic covering the entire device making it conservative like a lot of the other competitors.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
There's no point in bashing underdogs.
Edit: And also because BB once used to be a innovative company and had a similar approach: quality, not quantity (Samsung, Htc, etc..)

Mate BB/RIM was always about quantity.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
The 4S is a carry-over from the 4. When the 4 was released, no other company had the skill to make a phone that looked desirable like the 4. Glass on both sides of the phone was a true achievement that had everyone drooling.

The 5 looks amazing. Especially in black. I don't see plastic covering the entire device making it conservative like a lot of the other competitors.

Strange. I feel the opposite. 4s looks same as 4=boring and predictablr. And the 5 gives me a "meh" reaction. However, I really like this new BB design. To each his own I suppose.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Also, there is a video on YouTube of a Blackberry rep showing off the software of the new BB 10L...

He shows a swipe to show notifications and then goes on to say our competitors don't even have this feature! He says in the other phones you'd have to exit to the main screen and go into the app to see why your phone rang say for a text or email...

TOTAL ignorance. They literally live under a rock. The notifications bar swipe to show notifications has been around in Android since conception and has been in iOS for 2-3 years...

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
It once used to be something only appropriate for business people..But that was lang ago :D

I guess i didnt give a damm about smartphones around that time :D but last couple of years they were just releasing a new phone every 2 months; lets hope they get some attention :) who knows maybe they will flip everything around.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Also, there is a video on YouTube of a Blackberry rep showing off the software of the new BB 10L...

He shows a swipe to show notifications and then goes on to say our competitors don't even have this feature! He says in the other phones you'd have to exit to the main screen and go into the app to see why your phone rang say for a text or email...

TOTAL ignorance. They literally live under a rock. The notifications bar swipe to show notifications has been around in Android since conception and has been in iOS for 2-3 years...

I think he's referring to the actual way the hub is set up not that no one else has swipe to show notifications.

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I personally hope Rim makes a success of these new devices and BB10.

I actually quite like the look of the new OS. It's defiantly a big step in the right direction over the previous OS. Hopefully they can get the Devs onboard and bring some decent apps to the platform. This is where blackberry has been lagging for some time. Lack of, and pricing of apps.

As for the hardware, I quite like the look of both devices. I'm not too sure about the recessed screen on the L device though. I remember having a few Nokias in the past with recessed screens that used to collect dust and dirt between the screen and casing.

Either way, it's defiantly a huge leap in the right direction.

Will it save them? I hope so. I don't understand why anyone would want to see them fail? Competition is good, and after all it's due to competition that has forced Rim to rethink the design of both their hardware and software.

Even if your not a Blackbery fan, it's success will hopefully keep Apple and the rest of the field on their toes. This is a good thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.