Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Is searching broken?

I can find the song Africa by Toto but if I search for toto I get nothing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 23.30.18.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 23.30.18.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 3,371
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 23.30.31.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 23.30.31.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 3,377
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 23.35.19.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 23.35.19.png
    561 KB · Views: 149

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Well they have fixed two bugs I noticed.

When using column browser, selections were not preserved when switching between Music and other libraries.

Songs can be added to playlists more than once.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
Gestures

Why does the iTunes 11 Store still not support gestures? I'm on a 2011 iMac using a Magic Mouse, and two-finger swipes do not work. I have to use my delete key or click on the back arrow to go back a page, whereas I can just swipe left with two fingers to go back a page on the Mac App Store, Safari, Chrome, etc. Is anybody else having this problem? :confused:

EDIT: After reading this Apple discussion topic, it looks like changing your mouse settings to "Swipe between pages: Swipe with one or two fingers" (two or three fingers on trackpad) solves the issue, and then you swipe with just one finger (two on trackpad) to navigate through the iTunes Store pages. I still prefer to keep my current settings (seeing as I don't want to accidentally swipe through pages with my one navigating finger), but that is a solution for those annoyed by the gesture issue.

Last edited:

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Is searching broken?

I can find the song Africa by Toto but if I search for toto I get nothing.

Think I've found the reason why my search wasn't working. Search doesn't look at the Artist field, just the Album Artist field, which in my case was Various Artists and not Toto as it's a compilation. That's daft.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
I cannot get over how much I love the new iTunes logo.
I know; it's fantastic! I have iTunes next to the Mac App Store on my dock, and the new iTunes logo makes the Mac App Store logo need an update.

Shame Cover flow was removed as I really liked that feature. For me it was the most convenient way to browse through my music.
You must have like five albums. :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wish they'd fix the problem where iTunes Match won't match random songs on albums that it otherwise matches. Not good for my OCD.

That's quite often because artists release slightly different albums in different locations. There may be the US version of an album in the store, and you may have ripped a European version, where one song is just different.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Shame Cover flow was removed as I really liked that feature. For me it was the most convenient way to browse through my music.

I can't help wondering.. how is coverflow convenient for you?

I found it completely and entirely useless. It is far faster to simply type in an artist name or song name to find what I'm looking for than to flip through a book on screen.

Your collection must either be very small, or you must have an unusual way of filing your music mentally that makes coverflow an easy way to find it...

Ferazel

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
This also fixed an issue where attached (but not synched) iPods/iPhones could not be searched. So when I go into work with my iPhone that I don't have synched with my work computer, I can search my music on my device again without scrolling through the list of music.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Think I've found the reason why my search wasn't working. Search doesn't look at the Artist field, just the Album Artist field, which in my case was Various Artists and not Toto as it's a compilation. That's daft.

If you had just written in "Toto" and hit enter, your song would have shown up. It doesn't show up in the quick search on the right, but it does on the song list. When I did a search for "Dave Matthews Christmas" it blanked. It was showing albums of Dave Matthews as I typed that, but adding Christmas blanked it. When I hit enter, there was the song I wanted.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia

They made changes wholesale to the search script, forcing users to change metadata or the way we search.

Searching via home sharing is totally dead for music if item total over a certain amount, which Walt Mossberg refused to acknowledge.

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Bug Fixed

Now mini player updates song and artist when listening to radio. perhaps the bug was/is there for local music.

if you didn't know the bug, when in mini view, it would not update to the current song and artist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.