Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Well I finally made the move to Mac :).
I was into serious audio editing for a while and at that time (@dallas sound lab anyway) PC interfaces with nuendo and protools were the way to go. However in personal use I found myself jealous of my wife's Mac air which still runs great while I went through various dells and hp (all of which failed in >3 years).

Currently I'm not doing anything extensive as I'm in pharmacy school but after my hp g series crashed I jumped on the 699 11 Mac air.

I know 2 gigs of ram is not a lot in today's terms but I remember my first dell only having 40 gig hdd and 256 ram at any rate it's an upgrade from my dead hp.

I'm new to the Mac world aside from occasional use on my wife's air and pro.

I would like to hear opinions on useful software/ apps/ accessories.

I think so far I'm in for:
Office for Mac
Expanded ssd external (I don't want to lose my iTunes again)
Sleeve
Super drive

I'm considering the zagg shield but I'm curious as to how long it sticks. It scares me to put goop on a 700$ purchase.

At the moment I'm hoping I can recover my old iTunes files because my band recordings were on there.

At any rate this seems like a great site most of my google searches brought it up so I figured I should join!

Thanks,
Tyler

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Since you just got it, you might want to return it for a 4 GB one.

You will find 2 GB frustrating very soon.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Great choice, I too jumped on the 699 11" Air. I don't know why some people are against 2gb of ram, I have a 2011 Mac mini with 2gb and it is fine, and I download a ton of pictures. It depends on what one is going to do with it.

If you need more ram, fine, if not, why pay for it, me I am fine buying last yrs model at 300 off brand new with the same warranty,fine by me. Also just bought a 2007 Macbook pro, works fine and is as fast as the dickens.

Watch what happens to the new macbook retina, in the not too distant future, they will refresh and the price will come down, making the current ones worth a lot less. My guess in the coming year you will be able to buy the 1700 13" retina used for quite a bit less, my guess is around a 1000-1100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.