Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Who cares? Both maps (as well as many other alternatives) are now available for iOS.

What's the point of analyzing this if everybody is happy?

Sometimes I think people will complain and over speculate just to see their names on the Interwebs.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I'm disappointed you look for reporting from a site called MacRumors. That in itself speaks volumes about you. Correlation is not causation? Did you have a big English exam today? You are totally right. It was all a big coincidence! Even if you are that naive, in the end iOS users win and haters get to keep on hating! How could Apple plan Google would come up with a "better" map? Of course Google wasn't going to let 150 million users slip through their fingers, of course they were going to release an app. Now, lets use our brains here.... did you think Google would release an app that was worse then their old app? Um, going out on a limb here but I'm going to say they did not intend to make a worse app.

You mean to tell me they sacrificed Scott Forstall to do this? And Tim Cook went on national TV to say "We screwed up" and they gambled with their investor's money hoping the stock wouldn't take a big hit? Seriously? :rolleyes:

I cannot believe that you believe this:eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
All that money and effort to get another company to do something you wanted, that benefits both companies (the company being bullied gets glorified in the process and the bully gets their effort completely slammed).

Yeah. That works. I bet that's exactly how it happened.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Apple's Revenge!

Apple should update it's mapping app for Android devices, so that every time someone uses it to find a destination, it always leads them to an Apple Store.

:D :D :D :D

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
That's some bat$h!t cray-cray logic over here.
What we really got is:

- Apple wasting R&D time and money on a broken app which won't get fixed any time soon; the client app is fine, but fixing the maps data it relies on will take years.

- Apple got bad press, bad enough that the CEO had to issue a public apology in 50 languages

- The default maps app still sucks; users not aware that they can have Google Maps on their iOS devices will get a negative impression of Apple products. People with Google Maps will get frustrated by the fact that you can't set it as the default maps.

And in the end, Google got what they wanted with Google branding and Google Latitude on iOS.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You mean to tell me they sacrificed Scott Forstall to do this? And Tim Cook went on national TV to say "We screwed up" and they gambled with their investor's money hoping the stock wouldn't take a big hit? Seriously? :rolleyes:

I cannot believe that you believe this:eek:

Not to mention Google didn't create the Maps app on the iPhone. Apple did.

edfore

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
We live in a very rural County north of Atlanta. I like Apple maps a lot. It has always put me right on The location that I needed to go. We have never had any problems with it.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
By this logic, you can take it a step further.

Cook knows that the first version of Maps will be weak, so he puts Forstall on it. Cook knows Forstall is headstrong and wont admit a mistake.

Maps comes out, gets bad press for its problems, Cook and fam issue an apology without Forstall, who states there was no problem. Weeks later, a major executive shift to oust Forstall and put Cue in charge of all online services.

We might see these power shifts of unlikely or ridiculous, but I bet a lot of this is true cause how else could you get rid of someone so high up without good cause? Cook deliberately putting Forstall on a known to fail project simply to out him from the company because everyone doesn't like him makes sense.

I mean, at the least, the timing is very plausible. if they had waited 6 months to announce Forstall's departure, then I would say the above is doubtful.

Shasterball

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Wow... This won't fly, even on this site. No company would do this. And Apple is way too proud to do this.

But I am really psyched about the new Google Maps. It's quite good...

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Don't forget you tinfoil hats guys!

35mk4d.jpg

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Allow users to set a default mapping solution, so when I ask Siri for directions she pulls up Google Maps instead of Crapple Maps, THEN I'll believe this was all planned.

i don't think there's an api to allow SIRI to understand how to control third party software.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Except that iOS is under lockdown and I cannot choose to used Google Maps as a default mapping solution.

For example. Clicking on a address link in mail or Messages will take to me Apple Maps... not to Google.

I agree but copy and paste can't be that much worse if you really had to use G-maps

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This sounds about right to me, even if it's phrased in a way that sounds a bit cloak and dagger. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did a game theory analysis and realized Apple couldn't really lose here. This argument that Apple was doing it to hurt Google just doesn't parse. First, it didn't. Second, Apple hasn't done much to block Google's app submissions so far.

I know, the Google mob is going to say that Apple would have blocked Google Maps if they weren't so embarrassed by their own solution... That just doesn't fit well with history.

And this fits Apple's MO pretty well. They don't shy away from breaking things short term to make long term improvements (Exhibit A: Final Cut, Exhibit B: Lightning).

Fear of backlash to change is what's painted Microsoft into a corner.

In this case, they knew Google wanted to be on iPhone more than Apple really needed them to back their own solution. The whole reason Google created Android was to ensure that mobile platforms don't leave them behind-- there's no way they'd not support iPhone. Until Apple cut them loose though, they were on iPhone and didn't have to really compete with anything. Now they do.

In the end, the Apple mapping API has prettier graphics behind it, and iPhone users have a dozen choices for mapping apps. The only price I see paid is that no one could read MacRumors for a few months without wading through people screaming themselves silly that Apple was leaving them to die in the desert.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It DID turn out well for end users. And of course Apple saw it coming: they were buying mapping companies years ago to plan for this; and they knew darned well Google would still want to be gathering data from iPhone users, so of course Google would offer their own maps app as well.

Now users have the choice of TWO great apps. One that kills you with thirst (in Australia) and one that kills you with a cliff fall (in Australia).

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I love all the brainless fanboi belief in this article. Even if in a tinfoil-hat wearing universe this article is correct, Apple is quickly losing my respect by suing everybody, marring the GPS on their phones, releasing disposable idevices with glue-in batteries and solder on RAM, etc.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
"Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years. Users win."

what a logic ????

What about Scot Forstall and Ping?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
All that money and effort to get another company to do something you wanted, that benefits both companies (the company being bullied gets glorified in the process and the bully gets their effort completely slammed).
Except Google really didn't get that slammed, Apple was hardly glorified, and everything did, in fact, work out in the end... :confused:

Sometimes if you have an uncooperative partner, you gotta do it the hard way. It's not like this was a social engineering experiment at Apple, they just looked at their options and figured they'd wind up better off this way than following Google's demands.

Or at least that's what's being suggested...

Last edited:

nyczducky

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
If the OP isn't a troll, I don't know what is.

The original maps app since 2009 was created and maintained by APPLE. Not Google. It was an app that used Google's maps.

So Apple cutting Google out of the picture was all on Apple trying to break out with their own maps. Which they utterly failed in.

Definitely a fanboy OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.