Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I really think the full size iPad is dying now, and is going to be produced in smaller quantities, possibly becoming a pro series product. I hope for the rest of you guys who are in love with that size and form factor of the regular iPad, they keep it for you.

When the iPad mini has a retina screen, I will reluctantly give up my iPad if the full size is discontinued. I don't think this will happen however as aside from the better resolution, I prefer looking at the larger screen and imagine many others do as well. There is probably more interest in the mini now because it is new and more affordable and the iPad 4 wasn't (in my opinion) a significant upgrade.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Pretty much the same here, love the form factor and weight but due to resolution in place makes it hard to use in portrait mode. If it has retina I would've kept the mini for sure.

Never had an issue with the iPad 3's weight or size, no urge to ditch it for the iPad 4. Don't feel the bezel is in desperate need of shrinkage like what Apple did with the mini, though I won't be suprised to see it happen down the road.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I returned mine for pretty much the same reason. The size and weight is phenomenal, but other than that it's such a mediocre tablet. I couldn't get past the fact that my iPhone 5 had an A6 processor and retina display, but my portable computer didn't...

The iphone 5 costs twice as much as well off contract. Like another said earlier, the ipad mini was made cheaply to sell to the masses.

trevpimp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
If the ipad mini had a retina with atleast an A6 then I wouldve gotten the mini.... even if it was the same price as the Ipad 3 that i got for $549

Plus i prefer the larger screen so i can function apps better.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
The iphone 5 costs twice as much as well off contract. Like another said earlier, the ipad mini was made cheaply to sell to the masses.

This is very true. For the price, the mini is pretty good, but no retina OR A6 is disheartening.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
everyone that chose a 4 over a mini is on here trying to justify their decision. This helps them cope with their decision. They want the mini, but can't live with the fact that the tech is not cutting edge.

Well the design IS and thats all I needed, I don't notice the retina anymore on my mini, but I do notice the design evertime I pick it up. As im sure you notice the design and weight of your 4 everytime you pick up your fatpad.

im sure you say in the back of your mind "if only the mini was retina, I would LOVE to have one of those" haha

Sad.

I bought the mini with a $50 discount, i'll use it, when the mini retina comes out, i'll sell the mini and get that. Probably won't lose any money and get the full enjoyment of both.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I have to believe you're being sarcastic, because I can't imagine that anyone considers the iPad 4 a POS.

Honestly, if you really are "all about high performance" you wouldn't trade the 4 for the Mini just because 3/4 of a pound. It just sounds like you're only about moderate power.

When you say 3/4 of a pound it makes it seem a lot less of a difference than what it actually is in reality.

iPad mini is less than half the weight, which is a big deal because people complain about how HEAVY:rolleyes: the iPad 3/4 is compared to the iPad 2.

Half the weight is a big deal, portability is a big deal. Just because you don't see/want/need the benefits of a more portable form factor doesn't mean a thing. Many people want it.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
everyone that chose a 4 over a mini is on here trying to justify their decision.

'Everyone' is a really strong word. Blanket claims suck out loud.

The mini and the 4 are both outstanding products.

What could you possibly know about 'everyone'?

I recently chose the 4 over my mini. It just fit my hands a little better, and owning both at once didn't match my frugal-ish mindset. Nothing more. No justifications. No other complaints or comparisons. Both units rocked IMO.

The whining & infighting is epic...

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I purchased the Black 64GB Mini and the Black 64GB iPad 4 with Retina display.
After playing with both for a couple of days the mini went back for a full refund.

I do love the mini but I'll just wait a few more months and purchase it again when it has the retina display and faster processor. :eek:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The elephant in the room is that if the mini were retina, almost everyone would buy the mini. I suspect this fact was not lost on Apple markertng savants. To me, the high retail price was a statement about how confident they are in the appeal of the mini.

----------

I purchased the Black 64GB Mini and the Black 64GB iPad 4 with Retina display. After playing with both for a couple of days the mini went back for a full refund.

Nothing wasteful about that. I mean if apple's restocking policy allows this kind of consumer behavior, you really can't blame the consumer for being a total a-ho

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
The elephant in the room is that if the mini were retina, almost everyone would buy the mini.

Meh. Some of us bought & used both in order to make our decisions.

I like both units and find all complaints about screen or weight as adolescent. Doesnt mean any or either lack merit, but thats sure how they read.

The ipad should evolve, and we should welcome any expansion of the platform IMO. A 15" retina Pro iPad with USB and 'Finder" would sit well with me. A mini with whatever display would also be pretty cool mountainside at 10k'. I hope they make 10 models someday, instead of just 2. More is better.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I would love a 15" ipad with --say--4 hour battery life. Sort of a desktop tablet for design, etc, but not super heavy

----------

The keyboard on the ipad4 is still too small.

I'm glad i don't have a mini, irrespective of anything else, be it retina, cpu, etc.

minority report

----------

sorry--totally not down with the buy to try behavior here

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012

I like both units and find all complaints about screen or weight as adolescent. Doesnt mean any or either lack merit, but thats sure how they read.

The ipad should evolve, and we should welcome any expansion of the platform IMO. A 15" retina Pro iPad with USB and 'Finder" would sit well with me. A mini with whatever display would also be pretty cool mountainside at 10k'. I hope they make 10 models someday, instead of just 2. More is better.

http://www.modbookshop.com/mbi-bto-mbpa.html

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Can't Apple just buy cintique already. Its 2012, this is 10+ year old tech. Makes me crazy.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
everyone that chose a 4 over a mini is on here trying to justify their decision. This helps them cope with their decision. They want the mini, but can't live with the fact that the tech is not cutting edge.

im sure you say in the back of your mind "if only the mini was retina, I would LOVE to have one of those" haha QUOTE]

I have the iPad 4 and am not trying to justify anything. I love it.

I would also like to have the mini if I could get past the screen. Not as an iPad 4 replacement, but as a fun, take on the go device. I'll probably get one later when it does have a retina screen.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When you say 3/4 of a pound it makes it seem a lot less of a difference than what it actually is in reality.

iPad mini is less than half the weight, which is a big deal because people complain about how HEAVY:rolleyes: the iPad 3/4 is compared to the iPad 2.

Half the weight is a big deal, portability is a big deal. Just because you don't see/want/need the benefits of a more portable form factor doesn't mean a thing. Many people want it.

Weight and portability are subjective, but there is no way you can claim to be all about high performance AND choose the Mini over th iPad 4.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio

Well the design IS and thats all I needed, I don't notice the retina anymore on my mini, but I do notice the design evertime I pick it up. As im sure you notice the design and weight of your 4 everytime you pick up your fatpad.

im sure you say in the back of your mind "if only the mini was retina, I would LOVE to have one of those" haha

Sad.

I bought the mini with a $50 discount, i'll use it, when the mini retina comes out, i'll sell the mini and get that. Probably won't lose any money and get the full enjoyment of both.

lol! actually, it looks to me like you are trying to justify why you have the mini!!! I had one and returned it for the 4 and I have no need to justify it. the 4 is far and away the superior tablet.. i guess if we are gonna give them names, the mini is the "batpad" because you would have to be as blind as one to enjoy using it....

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I ordered the mini and used it for about a week and a half. Initially I loved the form factor, but I realised it also had some issues. For example typing in landscape more while not bad size wise is much more annoying visually, in terms of not being able to see the keys you are typing on. Compared with the full size iPad, there is a big issue here with ease of typing. I love typing on the touch screen, and the big iPad I think I'm faster than on a physical keyboard, but the mini I found it was definitely more awkward due to not being able to see the keys as easily through cramped hands.

Then there was the major issue, screen sharpness/resolution. I tried to overlook this for a few days, and not having a retina iPad before I though I would be ok with it. But as I used it I kept noticing the pixels and blurriness more and more. Especially on viewing the web in portrait mode. How annoying I thought, as a device this compact MUST have RETINA, for the text to be comfortable to view. I mean It is still small in portrait view on the full sized iPad, so in my view it becomes too annoying to use for web browsing in portrait. Yes of course you can turn and use in landscape, but should there be this compromise? I didn't like have a device which was essentially useless for web browsing in portrait and being forced to go landscape. Ive heard some people got round this by overriding the font size in portrait, but that would have some deforming effects to web pages.

No, no, the solution to this IS retina. And when I thought about how the iPhone 5 is smaller than the mini but has retina, and how the big iPad is larger, and has retina, the more it was annoying.

I understand maybe apple were limited somewhat by the form factor they wanted to put out, and it is amazing, but it really, really, has to have retina when it is this compact.

Having said that, Im not sure retina mini will work for me either though. There will still be the issue of cramped and harder to view typing even in landscape, and even when very sharp in portrait the size may be too small to be a comfortable experience.

I ended up returning the mini, and paying a little extra on black friday for an iPad 4. And wo, amazing screen, and due to my previous expectation I was shocked at how light the 4 was lol. When I lifted it out of the box it literally shot up as I had prepared myself for something ridiculously heavy. In reality there is not that much difference between the 2 and 4. After a few days use I would say it is notcible, but really not terrible.
well said.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010

Really? So I guess I must be justifying my decision to buy the iPad 4 when I bought the iPad Mini FIRST and then returned it and bought the iPad 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.