Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I have my cd collection of 222 titles copied to my itunes account.Over the years i have customized my choices by deleting songs,combining 3 cd sets into one cd and have changed a lot of cd cover art fit my choices.Im very worried that if I update to itunes 11 my collection will get messed up and will take me ages to set it the way i have it.when you update to itunes 11 does it take your library and copy it over just the way you have it into new itunes 11 or does it change things around?

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I have my cd collection of 222 titles copied to my itunes account.Over the years i have customized my choices by deleting songs,combining 3 cd sets into one cd and have changed a lot of cd cover art fit my choices.Im very worried that if I update to itunes 11 my collection will get messed up and will take me ages to set it the way i have it.when you update to itunes 11 does it take your library and copy it over just the way you have it into new itunes 11 or does it change things around?

My iTunes library is on my SSD boot drive in the standard place for Windows, but all the content is on a spinning disk. I have always unchecked both "Keep iTunes media folder organized" and "Copy Files to iTunes media folder when adding". I mainly edit metadata in Mp3tag before adding files to iTunes, using it to rename files to their final locations in my Lossless and Lossy subfolders, each organized as Artist/Album/Song, and I only rarely use iTunes to change metadata. Upgrading to iTunes 11 didn't touch my meticulously tagged and organized files in any way. I know, because I keep HD backups in a safety deposit box, and after rotating them once a month, I routinely do a full comparison to ensure my backup data hasn't gone bad. The only changed files were the ones updated by me in the past month.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
thanks,so it sounds like I should update and everything will stay the same in my library.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
thanks,so it sounds like I should update and everything will stay the same in my library.

That's how it went for me, but I set iTunes up such that it's a pure database for me. That is, it doesn't rename files on its own or copy files when I add them. For people who enable those things, I would sure hope a new iTunes wouldn't want to "freshen everything up", but I don't have any experience with that and can only advise on how I use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.