Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i don't know what program i should get. I don't really even like the idea of having to download something to extract it, but whats the safest and easiest program!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use the unarchiver. Great piece of software.
Yep! That's the one I use, too.
Have you tried any of the others? Are there any advantages to one over the other? I installed StuffIt Expander a long time ago and haven't found any need to revisit that choice, although I have no allegiance to any of them. It simply works. I'm wondering if it doesn't matter and it's just what you're used to, or if there's a distinct advantage to one over the others.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
thanks guys! just got unarchiver! btw i know this is off topic, but any song i download as soon as i play it after i download it, it gets automatically added to my iTunes folder and i can delete the song from downloads? is this normal? apple does this automatically? assuming it copies it to the iTunes folder by itself!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
thanks guys! just got unarchiver! btw i know this is off topic, but any song i download as soon as i play it after i download it, it gets automatically added to my iTunes folder and i can delete the song from downloads? is this normal? apple does this automatically? assuming it copies it to the iTunes folder by itself!
It automatically adds it to iTunes whenever you play a song. If you want iTunes to copy the file, as it's doing, yes, you can delete the song from your Downloads folder, since iTunes has made its own copy. If you don't want iTunes managing your music files, uncheck these boxes in iTunes Preferences and it won't make copies or move your files. It will use your existing files where they are.
iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Have you tried any of the others? Are there any advantages to one over the other? I installed StuffIt Expander a long time ago and haven't found any need to revisit that choice, although I have no allegiance to any of them. It simply works. I'm wondering if it doesn't matter and it's just what you're used to, or if there's a distinct advantage to one over the others.

I've tried Stuffit. It was the bastion of unarchiving in the days of Classic Mac OS, in no small part because .sit was so popular. I've found it to be less than elegant today, though. The Unarchiver is my personal favorite, in large part because it runs so seamlessly in the background. I only ever see it when I uncompress something, otherwise it's invisible (as far as the GUI is concerned). Stuffit, OTOH, launches an app every time you uncompress something. Also, I believe that The Unarchiver supports more formats than Stuffit, but it's been a while since I compared the two.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
It automatically adds it to iTunes whenever you play a song. If you want iTunes to copy the file, as it's doing, yes, you can delete the song from your Downloads folder, since iTunes has made its own copy. If you don't want iTunes managing your music files, uncheck these boxes in iTunes Preferences and it won't make copies or move your files. It will use your existing files where they are.

ooh very nice! i love that it does that! i don't have to worry about moving it into an organized file! loving this mac! even though I'm sure this feature was available on my PC lol

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Stuffit, OTOH, launches an app every time you uncompress something. Also, I believe that The Unarchiver supports more formats than Stuffit, but it's been a while since I compared the two.
Yes, I see that Stuffit briefly opens an app when it uncompresses, but it goes away before I even notice it. I never see it unless I'm uncompressing a file.
ooh very nice! i love that it does that! i don't have to worry about moving it into an organized file! loving this mac! even though I'm sure this feature was available on my PC lol
Yes, it was available on the Windows version, as well. If you don't want to manage your files and don't care how they're organized, leave those boxes checked. If you're like me, and spent years getting your file names and folder structure the way you want it, uncheck the boxes and iTunes will leave your organization intact.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.

I haven't found any distinctive advantage, it was the first one I grabbed and have just been happy with its flawless performance. I did end up choosing it over others due to large numbers of people here on MR recommending it, I've become used to it and really can't complain. :D

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
As the others are also free, what advantage does that offer, in terms of functionality in real-world everyday use?

Because you are supporting software that is free and OPEN. For example, if some other compression format comes along, then it would be trivial for you to personally add support to it to an open source program. Good luck with anything else :rolleyes:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Because you are supporting software that is free and OPEN.
StuffIt Expander is free. And I expect software to support me, not the other way around.
For example, if some other compression format comes along, then it would be trivial for you to personally add support to it to an open source program. Good luck with anything else :rolleyes:
I'll worry about that if and when another compression format comes along, and if and when I have a need to uncompress files using that yet-to-be-created format. :rolleyes: So, in other words, there's no advantage whatsoever, in terms of day-to-day, real-world, present-day use.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
By that token, there is no disadvantage. The makers of The Unarchiver have not laden the world with their lame proprietary file formats either.

I did not appreciate having to install Stuffit Expander just to extract a .sitx file sent from a client :mad:. Non-standard file formats are so last century.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
By that token, there is no disadvantage. The makers of The Unarchiver have not laden the world with their lame proprietary file formats either.

I did not appreciate having to install Stuffit Expander just to extract a .sitx file sent from a client :mad:. Non-standard file formats are so last century.
I've never even run across a .sitx file. I use SI to open .zip and .rar files, for the most part. It does this job quickly and efficiently. Proprietary file formats aren't a concern for me.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so did yo try UnRarX? im a new MBP owner and its what i use. very easy especially compared to winrar on a pc
I don't recall if I tried that one or not. To me, there's no noticeable difference between the various apps, which is why I was asking. They all seem to do the job without fuss, so I'm guessing people just go with what they're used to.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

you're overthinking this way too much. It's just a program you need to open .rar files. at the general level, they do the exact same thing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
you're overthinking this way too much. It's just a program you need to open .rar files. at the general level, they do the exact same thing.
Thanks for responding to my year-old post, but I wasn't overthinking anything. I had already assumed they all do pretty much the same thing, so I wasn't bothering to test other apps. I was asking if anyone had information to disprove that. They didn't.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Unarchiver lets me save partially unzipped files (usually the case for when I am unzipping a video file that has been split in multiple parts - Don't judge me :D). This lets me start watching the video without having to first download all the parts. :eek:

Unrar doesn't have such a function, IIRC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.