Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
iPad Mini w/ Retina = instant buy. Well probably. I still haven't been over to my local Apple Store to play with one. The screen may already be plenty good enough. Still, Retina is better than no Retina. I've kind of been avoiding playing with any of the newest iPads because I know I'll want one if I do, and I'm not sure I can really justify the expense.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Won't happen.

The iPad Mini is already half way between standard and retina. The 768x1024 resolution may be the same resolution the iPad 2 uses, but it's a smaller screen so the equivalent PPI is higher.

A retina display on a Mini would offer no benefit over the current display resolution. You don't notice the current PPI of the Mini, so you wouldn't notice double that (1536x2048). However the device would double in thickness and weight, because that's what a Retina capable device would require to operate at that resolution.

They -could- boost the resolution without doubling it, but it is unlikely that they would bother. That would entail a huge amount of work in their SDK and piss off a lot of developers (now you've got a whole new resolution to deal with, that isn't a multiple of two).

In other words, you've already got a Retina iPad Mini.

-SC

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
A lack of one still hasn't bothered me. If anything it's better w/o one since it doesn't drain a gigantic battery which would take an eternity to charge. A la iPad 3/4

If anything it's better? They kept the battery life of the 3rd and 4th gens. How is non retina better?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Resolutionary - Introducing the iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display.

And the Apple fanboys go crazy. :p

:rolleyes:

I'll gladly be selling my iPad Mini for the iPad Mini 2 when it comes out...same for the iPad Mini 3 and so on. I'm definitely not waiting on technology, especially since I'm not locked into a contract with iPads. Thankfully, Apple resell is always high.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Won't happen.

The iPad Mini is already half way between standard and retina. The 768x1024 resolution may be the same resolution the iPad 2 uses, but it's a smaller screen so the equivalent PPI is higher.

A retina display on a Mini would offer no benefit over the current display resolution. You don't notice the current PPI of the Mini, so you wouldn't notice double that (1536x2048). However the device would double in thickness and weight, because that's what a Retina capable device would require to operate at that resolution.

They -could- boost the resolution without doubling it, but it is unlikely that they would bother. That would entail a huge amount of work in their SDK and piss off a lot of developers (now you've got a whole new resolution to deal with, that isn't a multiple of two).

-SC

Regardless of the definition of Retina, they will increase the resolution and quality of the screen :D

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Won't happen.

-SC

The iPad mini has a ppi of 132 as I'm sure you know, which is a great difference from the retina iPad 3 and 4 at 264. If Apple were to make the iPad mini 264, old apps would be scaled up just like they were on the iPhone and iPad when they first became retina. By this time the iPad 2 will most likely be replaced by a $400 iPad 3 or even 4 as opposed to the 5. But either way, don't retina apps just automatically scale down in res to non retina devices? That would mean they only have to make one version of the app. But if this is not the case it still only means developing for three resolutions instead of two, and that's just if you want the app to work on older iPads too. Even so the old resolutions will weed out back to two.

Seriously, when has Apple been known to refrain from creating new better standards to keep support for the older ones? Lightning, MagSafe 2, Tall iPhone 5, Retina screens in the first place..

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Just like they a lot of folks around here mocked the idea of a smaller tablet and now say 'it's the perfect size'.....

Probably the same people who said the iPhone has the perfect screen size and Android phones are far too big too fit in your pocket.

Who then went on to laud the Mini with "It's the perfect iPad size to fit in your hand and it fits in your pocket!"

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Of course it will have retina, this is the #1 and only reason I didn't buy the initial release of the ipad mini. bump in processor to the a6x and retina. close the book on this.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Digitimes adds that the next generation 9.7-inch iPad will be lighter due to new LED light bar technology that will incorporate just one light bar instead of the two that are currently in the third and fourth generation iPads.
So, no comments on the first DROP in iPad tech? Just as edge-lit TVs are a pitiful excuse for LED tech that is barely (and perhaps not) as good as the old CCFLs, this is a downgrade. Let's hope it is wrong. Would not buy.
And the same people who are saying 'it's not that bad, I don't even notice it' will suddenly rave about how 'amazing' the Retina version is.

Just like they a lot of folks around here mocked the idea of a smaller tablet and now say 'it's the perfect size'.....
Member #378190

HAHAHAHA

Someone with time to kill should search those quotes up. So many saying how there was no point to a mini and not they are raving about them.

Same thing will be said when the iphone gets a wider screen.
Member #717373

Hmm, could it be these are different people making different comments? Maybe you guys should prove your point with actual references. I mean, we do have over Seven. Hundred. Thousand. choices.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
A lack of one still hasn't bothered me. If anything it's better w/o one since it doesn't drain a gigantic battery which would take an eternity to charge. A la iPad 3/4

That's the key really. I DO think Apple will pull out a better resolution next fall... That's the curse of Apple 1.0 products. The 3GS and iPhone 4/4S resolutions will drop off support leaving room to tease Developers with a new resolution.

Like Anand, you have to look at specs. First, you can't use the A5X or A6X series processors with extra graphics cores. Those extra cores are part of the nearly 80% battery boost from ipad2 to iPad3 and. iPad4. To keep to one core typically you need under HD specs. Generally that's about the line where you need to boost from simple GPUS to the expensive ones. Figure something odd, maybe 1.5x in each direction but still about as many pixels as HDTV.

Second, Apple had to build a new way of stacking the LCD elements just to squeeze them in..For ipad3. That meant they had to juice up the LED backlight to get the same screen brightness. Even with the move to LED, backlight is in the top of the list for battery killing items. Apple would want the lowest dpi they could get away with and still call it "Retina" to let as much light thru the panel as they can. They might pull an iPhone 5 and do a laminated screen/front glass... That would help with lighting as well.

So within those constraints, Apple most surely WILL update the screen, it wont be the crazy high numbers of Retina iPad to keep battery weight similar. Of course Apple may keep iPad mini as the line for "cheap seats" and keep the Retina screens as the "Pro" level iPad. Much like Apple keeps the plain MacBook line around with its really lame resolution because it does the job and SELLS like crazy at that price.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Everyone is posting like this is so obvious, but I think it's pretty stupid that the first gen didn't have a retina display. The evolution of Apple's displays has been all over the board the past few years. Ever since the iPhone 4 came out it's been like a jigsaw puzzle. When we first heard the term "retina display" a lot of people expected it on all Apple products, or at least the iDevices. And look at the history... The next iPad didn't have it, then the one after that did, then the mini didn't. I know they do this to keep people upgrading every year, and that is a game I am sick of playing. I still think the iPad is the best tablet but I didn't jump at the mini because I know the mini 2 will be the better buy. I feel like in general the even number generations are the ones to go for lately.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm going to fly to California and slap Tim Cook if he calls the iPad Mini with a "retina display" revolutionary. The original product should have had one.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
While it's obvious that everybody wants this to happen, and I'm sure it will happen eventually, I tend to agree with Anandtech. I think if it were feesable to add a retina display within the next year, Apple would have just done it with the original iPad Mini. I expect it will take a couple of years to develop a high res display for the Mini without compromising on its excellent weight and thickness.

Maybe I'm being naive, and it's possible to make one now, and Apple just released a low-res version first so people would shell out more money on the next one, but part of me still likes to think that Apple like making good products, and they would have done it already if it was possible.
You are not naive. Anand and his team have excellent points. A retina display could be done but the silicon and battery required to drive it cannot currently fit into that form factor. It will take a few years, at least two probably. If Apple makes an iPad mini with retina sooner something will have to give, size/weight and/or battery life. The only other chance is for Apple and/or it's partners to make large, unexpected advances to accomplish it. That's not impossible, but it's not likely either.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
umm duh? Did anyone think it wouldnt have one?

And I will be the first in line to get it. It should have came out with retina in the first place.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Ipad3/4 has horrible battery life and mini screen is not that bad

Same here, once you own any Retina device, everything else looks horrible to look at lol. :)

I don't know about "horrible".
When I first got the ipad3, I did kind of misses the longer battery life and quick charge time of my old ipad2. Now that I have a mini and got rid of my ipad3, while I do miss the crispness of the text, I am more than happy with the trade off and this iPad mini is sure fast to charge and lasts waaaaay longer than the ipad3/4.

I think the retina thing is just a tad overrated.

Iamthinking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.