Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Does anyone except the professional complainers complain that there is no Retina display? The iPad Mini is smaller and cheaper than the iPad 2, as it should be.

The iPad mini has a ppi of 132 as I'm sure you know, which is a great difference from the retina iPad 3 and 4 at 264.

Wrong. The iPad Mini is 164 ppi. 20% less size = 25% more ppi.

If anything it's better? They kept the battery life of the 3rd and 4th gens. How is non retina better?

The iPad 3/4 battery is _huge_. They are a lot thicker and heavier than iPad 2. An iPad 2 with that battery size would be running 20 hours. No matter what technological improvement you get, Retina display halves the battery life or requires doubling the battery size.

Last edited:

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
All the people that bought this bought it because they love the form factor.

All of us are waiting.. we know better. haha, retina will be here next summer. I'll indulge in that one most likely

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
apple marketing and businesses strategy at its finest.

(revision A) introduce a "revolutionary" new iPad mini and let people rave about it while omitting a screen that should have been standard

(revision B) announce a beautiful and even better than before iPad mini with a gorgeous retina high resolution display that is genius engineering ...which should have been on revA

Exactly. This. If Apple's marketing strategists hadn't insisted on making the iPad Mini smaller, lighter, and less expensive than the iPad, we could have had all these things. They're so greedy! Give us MORE. We'll pay any price!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Then only thing that is clear about Digitimes is that they definitely don't have any sources and simply make up logical and illogical predictions.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
It seems to be no surprise to people that Apple will screw them again with 'another iPad launch'!!!

So what do they do, not update for 2 years so people feel they got their moneys worth? Tech is always going to get better and cheap.

That said I was going to get the Mini but now since I've splashed out on a top line 27" iMac the Mini will have to wait, so hopefully the Mini2 will be out by the time I can afford one.

thehatisonfire

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Probably the same people who said the iPhone has the perfect screen size and Android phones are far too big too fit in your pocket.

Who then went on to laud the Mini with "It's the perfect iPad size to fit in your hand and it fits in your pocket!"

Are you sure it's the same people or are you just pulling this out of you asses?

ufon68

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
It's funny reading all these "duh" and "no ****" replies.

Because i would be willing to bet a huge amount of money on the next mini not having the retina.

Just like anand, i don't believe apple has the capability to manufacture the mini this thin and light with both the retina and a more powerful SoC while keeping the same price.

Also, even if they did, they would not do it for the next iteration. The most obvious downside of the current mini is not the display, which is beautiful and even higher ppi tablets' displays like the one on nexus 7 pale in comparison(yes, i've seen them side by side, it's no contest), but rather the SoC.

So i'm pretty confident the next refresh will bring the A6 and that would make it a very fast beastie, but still leave some room for improvement in the display department.

DrFu79

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Norway
What a bunch of spoiled little brats here. :D

At the beginning of this year there wasn`t even ONE retina Tablet, and it still sold and people loved it.

Shows you how quick people take things for granted. I like the iPad mini Display.

-> Insert famous Louis CK interview here

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
The iPad 3/4 battery is _huge_. They are a lot thicker and heavier than iPad 2. An iPad 2 with that battery size would be running 20 hours. No matter what technological improvement you get, Retina display halves the battery life or requires doubling the battery size.
True, but the higher power consumption can be addressed to the usage of two LED bars. As the article states, Apple can now produce an iPad with retina display with only one LED bar. If they can implement this in the iPad mini as well, it means power consumption should not be much higher than it currently is. Furthermore, if Apple were to shift over to 20 nm chips for the upcoming iPads, this would reduce battery life as well.

In conclusion: nothing is sure, but a retina iPad mini is certainly not impossible.

The biggest question that comes to mind is: how will they start calling the 'iPad with retina display' once the iPad mini has a retina display as well?

----------

Exactly. This. If Apple's marketing strategists hadn't insisted on making the iPad Mini smaller, lighter, and less expensive than the iPad, we could have had all these things. They're so greedy! Give us MORE. We'll pay any price!
You can't have everything at once. You must realize that you have to make compromises in order to have it small and light.

----------

People get so hung up on resolution but it's not the only point in terms of quality of a good screen! I find my iPhone 5 display a bit of a crappy step back as it's yellow/green tinted which seems to be the new standard - it's not just "warmer" as people say, to be precise mine is 106% green, 92% blue and 81% red - that isn't warmer, it's greener and leaves people with sickly skin tones. My iPad 2 is near perfect with colour, the iPhone 4 a little blue but not to the same extent and it doesn't have as detrimental an effect on colours.
This concerns me too. Almost all iPads and iPhones have this green/yellow tint. However, the iPads on display in the Apple Store are perfectly bright and crisp. I don't like this situation where Apple gives customers crappy screens in comparison to what they show you.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I don't think the decision is as obvious as some make it be... After all, it would require a stronger processor and bigger battery, not that easy in the current form factor at this time.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Apples standard practice since the iPhone,

step one, roll out new product in "beta form" call it gen 1, leave out features that are "obvious" (such as 3G connectivity, Camera or Retina Display)

step two, six to eight months later, stick two fingers up at the people stupid enough to buy the gen 1 product, and release the actual product, a slightly upgraded version of the Gen 1 product with the "missing" features now added, call it Revolutionary, get everyone to buy a new one by omitting any new additional features of the OS update released with the new product from the old product that would still be perfectly capable of running them

Step three, repeat every 8 months to a year.

:rolleyes:

edi15ta

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
It's funny reading all these "duh" and "no ****" replies.

Because i would be willing to bet a huge amount of money on the next mini not having the retina.

Just like anand, i don't believe apple has the capability to manufacture the mini this thin and light with both the retina and a more powerful SoC while keeping the same price.

Also, even if they did, they would not do it for the next iteration. The most obvious downside of the current mini is not the display, which is beautiful and even higher ppi tablets' displays like the one on nexus 7 pale in comparison(yes, i've seen them side by side, it's no contest), but rather the SoC.

So i'm pretty confident the next refresh will bring the A6 and that would make it a very fast beastie, but still leave some room for improvement in the display department.

I completely agree. Apple would shoot in their foot by giving mini the retina display. Who would then buy a full featured iPad?

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Well, duh

Everyone knows the first version was just to milk the die-hards who will talk themselves into not minding the high price and low resolution because they can't resist. I'm sure the next one will be retina and cheaper :)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I completely agree. Apple would shoot in their foot by giving mini the retina display. Who would then buy a full featured iPad?

Someone who wants a larger tablet?

Same for the 13" and 15" laptops when there is an 11"

It's good to have multiple sizes.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
It seems to be no surprise to people that Apple will screw them again with 'another iPad launch'!!!

Wow. Just wow. So because a new version of something is out yours will immediately stop working? That is crazy teenager logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.