Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
and is it safe to do so? I was hesitating for the longest time, now i can't remember why, and i'm still not updated. Now that google came out with the maps app, thats not an issue anymore, so have all the other issues been worked out and is it "safe" to update?

thanks.

Last edited:

jacky28c

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
and is it safe to do so? I was hesitating for the longest time, now i can't remember why, and i'm still not updated. Now that google came out with the maps app, thats not an issue anymore, so have all the other issues been worked out and is it "safe" to update?

thanks.

Mine still works the same way it did the first day 6.0.1 came out.

6.0.1 hasn't changed a bit since it came out ...if that's what you are asking.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I recall people saying that iTunes Match on iOS 6 devices was inferior to the iOS 5 experience.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
no i'm talking about all the issues with 6.0. The grey wifi and all the other bugs that were floating around, which made people regret updating to 6.0.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Maybe the OP was waiting for the YouTube update?

My iPad is still on 5.1.1. Will probably update it this weekend. Have the new Google Maps on my touch 5G and now that I've seen it, will upgrade but will stick with Apple Maps primarily because of its built-in convenience (plus it works well in my area).

Google is much too nosy about my information

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
What device do you have?

Assuming it's an iPhone you have, I would say if you have a 4S, then absolutely yes you should update. You get ALL the features of iOS 6 with a 4S. I know the Maps has been surrounded by controversy but they have not steered me wrong yet. Plus, since Google just put out its own maps app, that makes it even better.

If you have a 4, then you won't get all the benefits of iOS 6. You'll miss out on turn-by-turn and flyover mode on Maps, but if you download Google maps app, you can get turn by turn. You'll miss out on facetime over cellular too. The phone will still be stable though.

If you have a 3GS, I can't say that it would even matter whether you update or not.

I am running iOS 6.0.1 on my launch day 4S and it runs like a charm!

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
What device do you have?

Assuming it's an iPhone you have, I would say if you have a 4S, then absolutely yes you should update. You get ALL the features of iOS 6 with a 4S. I know the Maps has been surrounded by controversy but they have not steered me wrong yet. Plus, since Google just put out its own maps app, that makes it even better.

If you have a 4, then you won't get all the benefits of iOS 6. You'll miss out on turn-by-turn and flyover mode on Maps, but if you download Google maps app, you can get turn by turn. You'll miss out on facetime over cellular too. The phone will still be stable though.

If you have a 3GS, I can't say that it would even matter whether you update or not.

I am running iOS 6.0.1 on my launch day 4S and it runs like a charm!

i have a 4s currently running 5.1.1, if theres no more hickups and everything is running smooth, im going to update tonight when i get home. thanks.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Wirelessly posted

Problems: Stability, battery life, app store, lack of features for 3GS and 4, the new Google Maps does not sync with your phone's contacts.

Battery life and stability are still the biggest ones for me.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
no i'm talking about all the issues with 6.0. The grey wifi and all the other bugs that were floating around, which made people regret updating to 6.0.

All the issues? Unless you want to keep your jailbreak I don't see any reason not to update:confused:

I have yet to experience any major issues on 4 of my devices that are all running current software

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
pros outweigh the cons for me
the onyl cons I have is that Wifi isn't working as well as it should (when I try to connect to wifi hotspots that require splash screen authentication - ie. 'I agree' - the splash screen won't come up without a power cycle)
Wifi Hotspot on ym iPhone has stopped working too.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I myself did not update my 4S right away. I stayed on 5.1.1 right up until the day before Thanksgiving. I did not want to part with the YouTube app nor did I want to part with Google maps.

However, many of the apps I had were getting updated for optimization with iOS 6, and it caused my iPhone to lag pretty substantially. So, rather than deal with lagging, after 2+ months I finally took the plunge and updated to 6.0.1. I downloaded the YouTube app, and now the new Google maps app, so I'm all good.

Now awaiting iOS 7 and an iPhone 5S to come about.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
The Youtube app that was released separately is WAY better than the old outdated Apple version so that is no reason to stick with 5.1.1. I have 6.0.1 and no issues at all. Best battery I ever had on a 4s. HOWEVER. loads of folks are reporting severe WIFI issues since 6.0 and continue with 6.0.1. Also the digital adapter that sends HDMI to other devices is reported to be broken since iOS6 (you can see all the bad reviews from the Apple Store online) . I cannot say for sure since I dont have one but when I was about to purchase one read all these poor reviews and all were working until 6.0 so I decided to wait til 6.1 to see if that gets resolved before purchasing.

So with 6.1 around the corner it may be just as well to wait. I have lots of friends who are on iOS 6.0.1 and only issues any of them had was with WIFI and Netgear routers. A simple change to the encryption (AES to TKIP) in the router fixed that issue for now. Hearing 6.1 beta 3 is working pretty well overall in the developer community. Anyway for what its worth..........

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
remind me why i'm hesitating to remind you :p

Update if you choose to do so. I'm missing my jb from the 5X days, but I can live pretty good w/ iOS6.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Wirelessly posted

Problems: Stability, battery life, app store, lack of features for 3GS and 4, the new Google Maps does not sync with your phone's contacts.

Battery life and stability are still the biggest ones for me.

Battery life and stability have never been better for me.

teribithia

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
London

:cool::cool: I am hesitating to update my 5.1.1 to iOS 6 as inertia. I do not want to update my Apps with the OS.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I haven't had any problems with battery life or wifi on my iPhone 4 running 6.0.1. And it's just as stable as it always was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.