Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krssubbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hi,

I am running on ios 3.1.3. can you please advice me on the following options ?

1. i need to jailbreak ios 3.1.3 - how do i do it ?

2. if not possible i would like to upgrade to latest ios 6.0.1 - i think this is straight forward. just upgrade by itunes

3. if i install ios6.0.1, i am aware there is no jail break at the moment but would i be able to jail break it later when its available (After upgrading to ios6.0.1 or do i have to jail break and install it ?)

Thanks

krssubbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
hi,

it is iphone 3gs running ios 3.1.3. yes i just used tiny umbrella to save shsh blobs yesterday (hopefully i have done the correct way)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If you only saved them yesterday then the only ones that could be saved are 4.1 and 6.0.1

Those are your choices for upgrading.

You can jailbreak either firmware (6.0.1 may be a tethered jailbreak)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yes, Apple still signs 4.1 firmware for 3GS (why - who knows)
Download the 4.1 IPSW from iPhone Wiki

Put the phone in DFU mode, plug into iTunes
For PC use shift + Restore key
For Mac option + Restore key

Browse to 4.1 IPSW and let it restore.

krssubbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for this. I will try downloading the ipsw file for 4.1

how do i put the phone in dfu mode ? cant i do it just by connecting phone and shift+restore pc? if it doesnt work how do i get ouyt of dfu mode ? can you please detail me the steps

when i do i presume i am still not jail breaking the device ? and if i want to i can downgrade to ios 3.1.3, isnt it ?

sorry havnet done this before hence questions!!

krssubbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks dhlizard - managed to upgrade 3.1.3 to 4.1. now next question how do i jailbreak this device ? if i jailbreak it can i upgrade to ios6.0.1 ?

or can i upgrade to ios 6.0.1 (fancy doing it) wihtout jailbreaking 4.1 - how is hte performance and can jailbreak 6.0.1 it later ?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks dhlizard - managed to upgrade 3.1.3 to 4.1. now next question how do i jailbreak this device ? if i jailbreak it can i upgrade to ios6.0.1 ?

or can i upgrade to ios 6.0.1 (fancy doing it) wihtout jailbreaking 4.1 - how is hte performance and can jailbreak 6.0.1 it later ?

You can update to 6.0.1 any time you want.
Just plug it to itunes and hit update or restore.
That will put you on stock 6.0.1 firmware.
If you want to JB 6.0.1 you can but depending on your 3GS build date you might be stuck with a tethered JB.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Read my post #4
I already answered this
If you wanted to go to 6.0.1, why did you choose 4.1 ?

krssubbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
now i have upgraded to 4.1, do i have to unlock my phone (my phone was unlocked on version 3.1.3) and once i upgrade to 6.0.1 do i have to unlock again ?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
now i have upgraded to 4.1, do i have to unlock my phone (my phone was unlocked on version 3.1.3) and once i upgrade to 6.0.1 do i have to unlock again ?

You're asking us if you have to unlock?
Do you want to? Are you using the phone on official carrier or is it locked to a certain carriers network and you want to use it on another company?
You're confusing us all here that are trying to help you.
What are you trying to do again and why?
What is your end goal that you want to reach?

krssubbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
sorry for the confusion.

The phone was locked to a carrier and they unlocked it for me when i was running on 3.1.3. Now i have upgraded to 4.1. i am not sure if i need to unlock it again after the upgrade ? do i need to unlock my phone after every upgrade ?

My aim is to upgrade to 6.0.1 and unlock it (if it needs one) so that i can use of a different carrier and jailbreak it when a jailbreak for it is available ?

My modem firmware version is 5.14 if this is what you mean by baseband version

Thanks

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
sorry for the confusion.

The phone was locked to a carrier and they unlocked it for me when i was running on 3.1.3. Now i have upgraded to 4.1. i am not sure if i need to unlock it again after the upgrade ? do i need to unlock my phone after every upgrade ?

My aim is to upgrade to 6.0.1 and unlock it (if it needs one) so that i can use of a different carrier and jailbreak it when a jailbreak for it is available ?

My modem firmware version is 5.14 if this is what you mean by baseband version

Thanks

Who is 'they'?

krssubbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
@dextr3k - when i say "The phone was locked to a carrier and they unlocked " i mean the carrier

@TriJetHero - i am with o2 and they unlocked it through itunes. all they asked me to do was to sync with itunes and reboot

HTH

krssubbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
thanks for this. just for my knowledge, if i unlock using redsnow or similar programs do i need to unlock it everytime i upgrade ?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You outlasted me (but then again you and TriJetHero always do) :eek:

Patience daniel son:D
daniel-son.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.