Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm all for a Retina mini but wouldn't that considerably cannibalize sales of the 9.7" iPad? It's one of it's major selling points.

I don't think so ... I'll stick with a 9.7" tablet because I need a larger screen than a 7".

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
for all you whinners...suck it.... apple don't care about you who bought it... you a sucker for that.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
HAHAHAHA

Someone with time to kill should search those quotes up. So many saying how there was no point to a mini and not they are raving about them.

Same thing will be said when the iphone gets a wider screen.

No ****, Digitimes Holmes.

What a shocking news story!!!!!!1

No way, really?

Most predictable rumor ever. I'll buy one.

Of course. :cool:

You're kidding. no...really!? When did MacRumors hire Captain Obvious as a source?

Where's Captain Obvious when you need him?

Can we have the downvote button back please? Why do people want to state the obvious so much, how about a discussion on the technical merits and/or obstacles to such a product being launched. Or information about new technologies which may make this possible. Or how developers may have to alter their programming to deal with the extra pixels. Or anything on the market. Come on people.

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
So this entry says, "The next iPad Mini will have retina display," and then says, "No it won't".

These dart-board prognosticators are tedious. As long as someone has a website and a logo above their byline, they are heralded. Pathetic.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
The majority of the first page of comments add little to the discussion and could be deleted without any difference to the topic.

The biggest downside to Apple becoming ultra popular these last couple of years is the degeneration of sites like MacRumors.

Yeah, I'm an elitist, deal with it.

Can we have the downvote button back please? Why do people want to state the obvious so much, how about a discussion on the technical merits and/or obstacles to such a product being launched. Or information about new technologies which may make this possible. Or how developers may have to alter their programming to deal with the extra pixels. Or anything on the market. Come on people.

Mods should be doing their jobs and deleting this crap.

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
of course and the sheep will line up to replace their current iPad mini because it's revolutionary :rolleyes:

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Has apple had a track record of succumbing to public pressure? I think if enough people want it, the iPad mini could get retina display...

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Foolish? Please. The retina display is horrible for battery life. On top of that the battery is gigantic and takes forever to charge when compared to 2 and mini. I had an iPad 3. Went back to 2 because for long plane rides the battery was MUCH better.

The 3 is better for looking at pictures (which I do maybe .5% of the time I'm using it, if that) or staring at the higher res icons....I guess.

Foolish

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
The retina display is nice but if it makes it thicker and heavier, no thanks. The iPad Mini primary selling point is the even better portability. On the iPad 3, the retina display was minimally thicker and more noticeably heavier.

I think the current iPad Mini is right on.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
After playing with the Mini at my Apple Store, I have to admit that the screen resolution doesn't bother me...and this is coming from a former iPad 3 owner. I'll take light weight over retina.

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
I actually think that Anand has a good point here - it would be quite a feat to stuff a Retina display into a mini and maintain the size, weight and battery life. While it would seem obvious that Mini 2 should have a Retina display, the technical challenges are quite tricky with current technology, unless Apple comes up with yet another resolution.

Of course, if anybody can do it, it would be Apple, but as many pointed out, look at iPad 3 and what it took.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

because we already had that discussion in October, after the iPad mini was introduced without a retina display.

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
If anything it's better? They kept the battery life of the 3rd and 4th gens. How is non retina better?

He's not talking about the battery life, he's talking about how long it takes to fully charge the battery. It takes around twice as long to charge it as the iPad mini

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
For those of you getting pissy about apple and it's typical way of doing things relax. We all know they screw us with their updates yet we keep coming back for more so why should they stop? I picked up a mini on day one and I'll pick up a retina mini when it comes out and so forth and so on.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Foolish? Please. The retina display is horrible for battery life. On top of that the battery is gigantic and takes forever to charge when compared to 2 and mini. I had an iPad 3. Went back to 2 because for long plane rides the battery was MUCH better.

The 3 is better for looking at pictures (which I do maybe .5% of the time I'm using it, if that) or staring at the higher res icons....I guess.

Or reading. Which I do 100% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.