Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I just realized after two weeks of owning a Note2 that I am not receiving SMS messages from iPhone users when they send the same message to more than one person.

Anyone know of a way to get these messages?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
meaning you're not getting them when they send a group text? I'm getting them fine from iPhones ...

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Exactly...

I'm on VZW, what are you on? Not sure if that would make a difference...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
AT&T. I'm pretty sure this is an isolated issue otherwise it would have been caught by now. Can you confirm with multiple iPhones that this is the case?

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Have you got an iPad maybe somewhere with iMessage enabled ?

Had that myself (oops) - switched from iPhone to GS3 and complaining that I didn't receive any textst, just to realise they arrived on my iPad :p

Ryy

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2010
Florida

Had that myself (oops) - switched from iPhone to GS3 and complaining that I didn't receive any textst, just to realise they arrived on my iPad :p

Put me down for that too. Lol. Took me a minute to figure that out! :rolleyes:

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I still have my 4S connected to wifi and it received the group texts in iMessage, though my Note2 did not. I checked it last night and that is how I discovered I did not receive the texts. However, I have received other SMS messages, just not the group ones sent on other iPhones. I have been receiving single SMS messages sent from iPhones though...

Thanks.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I still have my 4S connected to wifi and it received the group texts in iMessage, though my Note2 did not. I checked it last night and that is how I discovered I did not receive the texts. However, I have received other SMS messages, just not the group ones sent on other iPhones. I have been receiving single SMS messages sent from iPhones though...

Thanks.
you probably have your phone number registered as the main line of iMessage still. If you're connected to wifi...your iPhone 4S is gonna show you are iMessage capable and it's going to go to that phone. You need to deactivate iMessage on your 4S or change the caller id/number to just an email address instead.

the 4S and note had the same phone number correct?

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Both the 4s and note2 have the same number, though the 4s is not activated.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Both the 4s and note2 have the same number, though the 4s is not activated.

I just went through this problem as well when I switched from my iPhone 5 to a Nexus 4. You need to turn off iMessage on your iPhone and if you were also receiving messages sent to your phone number on other iDevices or Macs, you need to uncheck the box for your phone number. This has to be done on EVERY device that uses iMessage or you won't get any SMS sent from iPhones.

I like iMessage when I'm using my iPhone but switching away from it is a real PITA.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Where is the option to uncheck this?

Thanks for the info.

On an iPad or iPhone, go to Settings > Messages and touch then Send & Receive box. This will show all email addresses and phone number you designated to send or receive iMessages.

On a Mac, open Messages and then open preferences (Messages > Preferences > Accounts) and you'll see the associated email address and phone number.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 176
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.