Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I hope not. Google has it as a seperate app and that's fine. I don't really see the value in letting others track me, like Lattitude or Find my Friends does. Do people really enjoy it ? Exhibitionism isn't so hot in my book.

I assumed it would be an on/off switch and the default being off :)

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Also gave Google Maps a go yesterday.

What I noticed was that it would suddenly stop indicating in the middle of a sentence and sometimes it didn't say anything at all. I also think that the voice seemed to "lag" at times and it was slow in saying the indications. Anyone else experienced this behavior?

I have been using Apple Maps since iOS 6 came out and, so far at least, it's been giving me good directions and taking me to the right places :)

I'll obviously try Google Maps some more and then see which one I'll stick with.

I'm located in Spain btw.
Yep... the voice directions have lagged or didn't work at all... among other wonky things. But this is the first version of the app. Works okay, otherwise.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh you need to try out every app in the App Store before giving 5-star reviews. Poor you.

No but my BS detector goes up when I hear 10,000 reviews and they're all 5 stars. I could care less who the app is from.

----------

Isn't funny? All those innocent users talking about how nice Google is just because they decided to release a maps app on iOS 6. We should be so thankful... LOL

Please read: http://www.wired.com/business/2012/12/why-google-loves-ios/

You really have to be a moron to think that Google made this move only because they are good people. That bull**it doesn't exist in business.

Yep, like Google's $10B revenues offshore in Bermuda. Just good business. ;)

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Why is it so hard to believe or necessary to think of deep reasons? Apple has offered navigation apps for a long time, free and paid, with streaming and downloadable maps. It allows Netflix that compete with its movie sales and Kindle app that competes with its ebook sales, not to mention tons of podcast, online radio and online streaming music apps. The more apps, the stronger the platform. Simple as that...

I think he meant more "he can't beleive apple allowed a Google maps app" considering the war they're in.

Don't dismiss his thought process. There have been entire classes of apps apple wiped from the app store because "they duplicated core functionality of ios." They just can't exclude 1 company.... but they could exclude an entire category if they chose too. They'd be stupid to though. That would be one hell of a back lash.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think he meant more "he can't beleive apple allowed a Google maps app" considering the war they're in.

Based on the precedent, that would only have resulted in tons of egg on Apple's face. Google and Apple aren't at "war", that's just the media's presentation of it to get more ad revenue from page clicks and for forum goers to engage in questionable discussion that devolves into insults.

Apple and Google have a business relationship, and right now, they seem to be on competing paths. That doesn't mean that the business they have to conduct is even tainted by this.

----------

No but my BS detector goes up when I hear 10,000 reviews and they're all 5 stars. I could care less who the app is from.

I think those reviews are more about the poor quality of Apple's map application than of the quality of Google's application. I for one would also give Google 5 stars only for the comparative nature of the apps, not based on the app's quality itself.

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I found this interesting...

I found it to be ********. In no place does anyone from Google say or imply this. The only take-away that I got from it is that because they were getting a fresh start, they did some UI elements differently.

Given that they have a large installed base with the Android version, they probably don't want to drastically change the UI that millions are familiar and comfortable with.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Nice try.

We still have Google's maps on one older iPhone (a 3GS) and the maps clearly say "Google" at the bottom of every map image. There was never any mystery as to the source.

The comment is talking about branding in iOS 6 maps. In order for Google to allow Apple use of their mapping they wanted their name on the maps, and possibly more. This was one of the points Apple no longer wanted to go along with so we got Apple Maps instead.

I feel it's completely fair and acceptable for Google to have their name on the map images. It's their work that created the maps so allowing recognition only right.

Whatever the other reasons for not having Google data in the stock app are, it's a shame. Combining the Google's data with Apple's beautiful and smooth running app would have been amazing. It's a combo that will probably never be and that sucks.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Maps & more Maps....

I admit I'm diehard Apple always have, I didn't start with them in the beginning of my introduction to computer's (believe it or not there was a day not everyone had a computer much less cell phones). Anyway once I got introduced to an Apple computer I've been a great fan and rank Steve Jobs up there with the greatest influence's in history, Ben Franklin/Thomas Edison/Bill Gates, yes there is a few more but you get the point.

Having said all that I was, for the first time very disappointed with Apple regarding Apple Maps. I really did like Google Maps but looked forward to the realease of Apple Maps. For me, I didn't have any problems with directions and I love the Turn by Turn! However I really couldn't get into Flyover like I did with Google Streetveiw and all the Bus/Train schedules & walking/Driving directions. The bus/train schedules works so awesome when in NYC even with the subways it helped us, my wife & daughter go 1-2 times a yr. and also over to NJ to see family and we use Google Maps to get us there all by subways & trains. I look forward to Apple maps update that I've heard will be here soon. I'm sure in Apple fashion it will be Great, I just think Google has been at it to long for Apple to catch up in just a 2-3yrs. I hope they can because I know once they get it figured out it will be suppeirior to anything out there as ease of use and I'm sure they will throw something in we're not expecting and we'll love it!
I downloaded the new Google Maps App yesterday and its really nice so far, better then the old one!:cool::apple::apple::apple:

gamer.pro.2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
"Better than Android's design"
I doubt that very much. Especially since Android's version supports Google Now's integration and the Apple version is missing several features the Android version has. Bike directions, Night mode, Wikipedia integration to name a few are all missing on the iOS version of Google Maps. Granted, they are small features, but perspective should be upheld here. :rolleyes:

AppleMooseMan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
"Better than Android's design"
I doubt that very much. Especially since Android's version supports Google Now's integration and the Apple version is missing several features the Android version has. Bike directions, Night mode, Wikipedia integration to name a few are all missing on the iOS version of Google Maps. Granted, they are small features, but perspective should be upheld here. :rolleyes:

Design and features are two totally different things.

I've long been a critic of Google interfaces and how they work but this new UI in Google Maps is very nice and very intuitive. Google are slowly improving at designing innovative interfaces.

Apple aren't a company to back down, you can guarantee this will inspire them to make a much more reliable maps app.

Competition is good.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008

Don't dismiss his thought process. There have been entire classes of apps apple wiped from the app store because "they duplicated core functionality of ios." They just can't exclude 1 company.... but they could exclude an entire category if they chose too. They'd be stupid to though. That would be one hell of a back lash.

Also, don't forget that Goolge Maps, like any other mapping service is not truly "free", they simply don't charge the consumer directly. They are making money off of the search results.

Due to Apple's structure, they are also most likely making money off of this.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Just worked for me. Check the "music" volume.

You're saying once you have a starting point and destination in place, the voice commands will activate? I'm assuming you would have to be moving. Do you have the GPS "on" for Google maps as well?

I checked the music sound and it's at "max" with no limit activated.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You're saying once you have a starting point and destination in place, the voice commands will activate? I'm assuming you would have to be moving. Do you have the GPS "on" for Google maps as well?

I checked the music sound and it's at "max" with no limit activated.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

Yep, generally started instantly by telling me to "follow [road I'm on] North to [next turn]". Or similar.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
Mixed feelings from me: For a 'version 1', it looks very promising, but:

• No step-by-step transit directions in the UK (the old iOS app has this, so there's no reason I can think of why the new one doesn't).
  • It's a bit of an accessibility nightmare - mainly because the text is so small.

If they sort those two out, I'll be updating to iOS6 for sure. So far, I haven't missed out by not updating, so I'm happy to wait.

wrdwrght

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I notice that the "returned" Google Maps does not have the hook it once did into Contacts. Getting routes to contacts must be done manually. Otherwise, Apple Maps provides the location and routing solution when a contact's address is tapped. I wish we could assign this hook, but I doubt will Apple let its own map app be further removed from our attention.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I notice that the "returned" Google Maps does not have the hook it once did into Contacts. Getting routes to contacts must be done manually. Otherwise, Apple Maps provides the location and routing solution when a contact's address is tapped. I wish we could assign this hook, but I doubt will Apple let its own map app be further removed from our attention.

:confused:

Google Maps won't even read the contacts from the Gmail account you're logged in with...

Last edited:

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Mixed feelings from me: For a 'version 1', it looks very promising, but:

• No step-by-step transit directions in the UK (the old iOS app has this, so there's no reason I can think of why the new one doesn't).
  • It's a bit of an accessibility nightmare - mainly because the text is so small.

If they sort those two out, I'll be updating to iOS6 for sure. So far, I haven't missed out by not updating, so I'm happy to wait.

It does do step-by-step for public transport (in London anyway)... Select one of the routes that it suggested, then swipe up to see step-by-step.

Slightly off topic but check out the airplane doing a low level fly past over Russell Square in London! (the plane is also there on the web version of google maps).

Attachments

• 2012-12-15 09.16.54.png
    2012-12-15 09.16.54.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 2012-12-14 22.00.28.png
    2012-12-14 22.00.28.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
It does do step-by-step for public transport (in London anyway)... Select one of the routes that it suggested, then swipe up to see step-by-step.

Slightly off topic but check out the airplane doing a low level fly past over Russell Square in London! (the plane is also there on the web version of google maps).

I think the poster was referring to the old Apple-written app being able to step through the whole route, stage by stage, on the map screen. A much more useful feature than simply displaying a list, as Google are providing.

sd13

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Everything is great so far with the new google maps except that i cant find my recent navigation. Does it store a search history? I cant seem to find it.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I hope not. Google has it as a seperate app and that's fine. I don't really see the value in letting others track me, like Lattitude or Find my Friends does. Do people really enjoy it ? Exhibitionism isn't so hot in my book.

You are missing a critical point... It is not always about exhibitionism but utility too... I do indulge in long biking trips with my friends... And we all have our phones mounted on dashboards for tracking each other through find my friends or latitude if there is someone without an iphone... Its a lot easier than straining your eyes to keep track of fellow bikers... And thats just one application for the app... There could be many...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.