Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks, thekev. It's funny how much people on this forum are bringing up luminance masks lately. I too edit manually to a great extent, even when I begin with a LM. I recently wrote a stub for a future article about it, which you can read here: LINK.

I actually stumbled across the idea of masking by values on my own a number of years ago before finding out others did the same thing, but I do quite a bit of painting on stuff. It's just easier to shade things when you know they're masked off correctly. Going by eye is too difficult, as the levels of detail go finer than they would with an illustration. You've started off with really excellent lighting, which helps. I'm looking at this one on your site right now. I don't think those leaves would have masked easily via luminance masks. Do you ever end up having to paint mask smaller details like that or do you just choose time of day better than me:D?

Anyway, I thought previously that a Series 2 would solve the problem I had with my Series 1 Gitzo (same thing, broken alloy), and I'm not feeling at all inclined to carry around a heavier Series 3 Gitzo in the hopes that it will be beefy enough to avoid a similar fate.

Series 1 always seemed kind of limiting. On their site Gitzo tends to suggest against it with longer lenses, and I like the ability to stitch from those.

It's really depressing that I could buy two Gitzos for the price of one equivalent tripod from RRS. I'm in a real quandary with this issue. There was a time when I never thought I would pay what I did for the Gitzos, but I ultimately plunked down the money thinking I would never need to buy another tripod again. When does it stop?! OK, that was just a rant, but it felt good to get it out!

I get you. The gear adds up in cost. The only reason I've previously considered RRS is that the Gitzo legsets that I really like are over $700 anyway. If I had the same thing happen twice, I'd probably look for an alternative.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I actually stumbled across the idea of masking by values on my own a number of years ago before finding out others did the same thing, but I do quite a bit of painting on stuff. It's just easier to shade things when you know they're masked off correctly. Going by eye is too difficult, as the levels of detail go finer than they would with an illustration. You've started off with really excellent lighting, which helps. I'm looking at this one on your site right now. I don't think those leaves would have masked easily via luminance masks. Do you ever end up having to paint mask smaller details like that or do you just choose time of day better than me:D?

That one doesn't have a luminance mask. It does have three Smart Objects, two of which have layer masks, but the masks are hand-painted and are fairly simple. I edited some of the tones of the rocks to open up the shadows a bit in some places while leaving them alone in others, and also to tone down a few bright areas that were demanding too much attention. The light that day was just great for that kind of shooting (nicely diffused through fog), so shooting and editing was a breeze. The most detailed masking I ever have to do usually involves tricky skylines, where something extends up into a complicated sky and found masks don't separate them well.

Anyway, I don't want to confuse anyone who finds this thread and is looking for tripod information, so I'll leave it at that!

snberk103, it was very kind of you to include the information from your friend. It sounds as though he's getting along fine with cast alloy tripods (Manfrotto's CF tripods also use a cast alloy). I think right now I'm most interested in hearing from owners of tripods with machined metal parts instead. If those also have problems in cold weather, then I really don't know what to do. So far I know of only Really Right Stuff and Feisol, plus the separate parts available from Kirk and Markins to replace the cast spider on Gitzo tripods.

jabbott, thanks for the detailed explanation and photos. Looks like the RRS anodization has similar problems to the black iPhone 5. I can live with that, but I completely understand your disappointment.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Have a look at this one at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/832018-REG/Sirui_BSRR4203L_R_4203L_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

It has a forged chassis and is temperature tested from -40 to 100c. Made in Canada.

Dale

Made in Canada??? Don't think so.

Interesting company... and I wish we could take credit for it... but, alas... not made in Canada. But the Canadian branch seems to offering a 6 year warranty on it's equipment.

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
Ouch...sorry to see your high dollar equipement failed :mad: At least you didn't break a lens or camera.

Here is another suggestion: A few years ago, I purchased an Induro CT313 and I realy like it. I also purchased the short center column. I'm 5"10, and the viewfinder of my 7D + grip is at eye level with a Manfrotto Hydrostatic ballhead. I just didn't want to bend at all and this setup works perfectly for me.

http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_CT313.html#4

The CT-314 is 4 sections and will close shorter than mine.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Interesting company... and I wish we could take credit for it... but, alas... not made in Canada. But the Canadian branch seems to offering a 6 year warranty on it's equipment.

Fixed that...

Made in The Third Industrial District, Wuguishan Town, Zhongshan City, Guangdong,China 

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Ouch...sorry to see your high dollar equipement failed :mad: At least you didn't break a lens or camera.

Here is another suggestion: A few years ago, I purchased an Induro CT313 and I realy like it. I also purchased the short center column. I'm 5"10, and the viewfinder of my 7D + grip is at eye level with a Manfrotto Hydrostatic ballhead. I just didn't want to bend at all and this setup works perfectly for me.

http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_CT313.html#4

The CT-314 is 4 sections and will close shorter than mine.

Fixed that...

Made in The Third Industrial District, Wuguishan Town, Zhongshan City, Guangdong,China 

Dale

Thanks to you both for the suggestions. The Induro tripods also use a cast magnesium for the spider piece at the top, and that Sirui tripod is nearly twice as heavy as my Gitzo.

If I'm going to buy something new, I want to feel confident that it will be more reliable than my Gitzos have been. Otherwise, I'll just stay with Gitzo and take my chances. If money were no object, this decision would be so much easier. :confused:

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
Thanks to you both for the suggestions. The Induro tripods also use a cast magnesium for the spider piece at the top, and that Sirui tripod is nearly twice as heavy as my Gitzo.
Casting itself isn't the problem, it's when things are cast incorrectly that can lead to premature material failure. Gitzo may have used an improper cooling rate, improper alloy mixture, allowed for voids to form in the metal, etc. Or possibly they didn't provide enough metal around the edge to ensure sufficient tensile strength. They clearly have a problem in this area whereas other manufacturers might not...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's really depressing that I could buy two Gitzos for the price of one equivalent tripod from RRS. I'm in a real quandary with this issue. There was a time when I never thought I would pay what I did for the Gitzos, but I ultimately plunked down the money thinking I would never need to buy another tripod again. When does it stop?! OK, that was just a rant, but it felt good to get it out!

20+ years ago I bought a big old heavy manafrotto tripod. That was when I was shooting outdoors with a Mamiya RB67. I'd pack in the RB body and three lenses and three backs. I sold off the RB67 years ago and now use "small format" Nikon dSLR gear. The old tripod is grossly over sized for a nikon dSLR. But I like it that way.

The tripod has never been "babied". I tie it to the outside of the backpack and always set my packs down "straps up" so the tripod is in the mud or snow or rocks. I get home I hose it down and clean it off.

I typically hang any weights I have from the tripod while shooting. Some times I use a rock in a bag or my water bottles in a bag. The extra wight makes the tripod more stable. For this you nneed a tripod rated for maybe 4X the weight of the camera gear. (I come from the group who has a truck to haul sand and lead shoot bags to place on every tripod or light stand. I try to improvise this in the field.)

Yes it is a LOT of extra work to haul a big oversized tripod but it works so much better then those thim spider leg carbon tripods and it costs like 1/5th the price and it WILL last my the rest of my life and then some.

The old rule is that tripods have three properties you might want
1) Low cost
2) light weight
3) strength
You are only allowed to choose two of the above. I choose #3 over the other two. and simple put up with the extra four or so pounds.

heron88

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Give Induro a second look. I was skeptical at first because I had not heard of them, but they have a very good reputation with customers and they produce models similar to the Gitzo you have. The tripod I purchased from them has lasted me almost 3 years, and unlike you, I am not gentle with my equipment at all. It's fallen off my backpack while biking at around 20mph. A couple small knicks is all that happened. There are countless other stories of tripod-abuse, but the Induro is still going strong. I can't imagine one of their magnesium spiders failing like yours did, it has seen a significant amount of strain under my use. I've used it in temperatures ranging from 4 to 117 degrees.

----------

Here's one comparable to your Gitzo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655205-REG/Induro_471_214_Carbon_8X_CT214_Tripod.html

Last edited:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
20+ years ago I bought a big old heavy manafrotto tripod. That was when I was shooting outdoors with a Mamiya RB67. I'd pack in the RB body and three lenses and three backs. I sold off the RB67 years ago and now use "small format" Nikon dSLR gear. The old tripod is grossly over sized for a nikon dSLR. But I like it that way.

The tripod has never been "babied". I tie it to the outside of the backpack and always set my packs down "straps up" so the tripod is in the mud or snow or rocks. I get home I hose it down and clean it off.

I typically hang any weights I have from the tripod while shooting. Some times I use a rock in a bag or my water bottles in a bag. The extra wight makes the tripod more stable. For this you nneed a tripod rated for maybe 4X the weight of the camera gear. (I come from the group who has a truck to haul sand and lead shoot bags to place on every tripod or light stand. I try to improvise this in the field.)

Yes it is a LOT of extra work to haul a big oversized tripod but it works so much better then those thim spider leg carbon tripods and it costs like 1/5th the price and it WILL last my the rest of my life and then some.

1) Low cost
2) light weight
3) strength
You are only allowed to choose two of the above. I choose #3 over the other two. and simple put up with the extra four or so pounds.

Chris, I hear you, I really do. But I do have two very real needs for a lightweight tripod: air travel and backpacking. I fly a lot, and most airlines these days allow one bag of checked luggage on trans-Atlantic flights. Every pound counts. When I'm backpacking, I'm already carrying enough to hurt myself. I'm not all that old, but I am a female, and I have already put my limbs through a lot--and they are threatening to go on strike! My husband is an old-world gentleman and frequently carries my tripod for me on long hikes, but that's not always possible. Adding a few more pounds onto what I'm currently schlepping around is just not an option. It would be great if airlines would revert to the baggage restrictions of a few years ago, and if I could take a burrow with me on long hikes like Ansel Adams did, but that's very wishful thinking!

I'm in total agreement with you about how backcountry photography ought to work, though. You shouldn't have to baby your tripod to the point that you can't even press down on it a bit to make sure it's stable. When you're out that far from the comforts of civilization, you have better things to worry about than whether or not your tripod is warm enough or can handle being planted into some snow. The darn thing needs to be able to take few knocks so that you can worry about getting your shots and getting home safely. End of story!

Anyway, it's not the carbon fiber that has been a problem with these tripods I've owned. Gitzo's heavier aluminum ones also have the same cast alloy for the spiders at the top, and it is that cast metal that is breaking apart, not the carbon fiber.

Jabbott and heron88, as for other brands that use cast alloys, I think you can probably understand my skepticism. In the last two days I've done more research on tripods that I ever wanted to do. I have a lot of photographer friends, and I've shot alongside some of them using some of these budget-brand tripods, and they're always very happy with their purchases. Nonetheless, it's not hard to find failure stories on the internet about any of these brands, except for RRS…but they are relatively new on the market. Of course, for every broken tripod story, there are hundreds more from happy customers. Gitzo is the perfect example: everyone loves their Gitzo tripod. Well, I just put too much time and money into my photography to have a busted tripod ruin my trip. And this whole warranty repair business is a huge hassle, which I just went through two years ago (and a year before that I had to return a Gitzo that arrived defective straight from the factory). I really don't see myself investing in some budget brand right now, especially after getting disappointed by a premium brand so many times.

Do I sound grumpy?! ;) :p Aaaaargh!!

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Chris, I hear you, I really do. But I do have two very real needs for a lightweight tripod: air travel and backpacking. I fly a lot, and most airlines these days allow one bag of checked luggage on trans-Atlantic flights. Every pound counts. When I'm backpacking, I'm already carrying enough to hurt myself. I'm not all that old, but I am a female, and I have already put my limbs through a lot--and they are threatening to go on strike! My husband is an old-world gentleman and frequently carries my tripod for me on long hikes, but that's not always possible. Adding a few more pounds onto what I'm currently schlepping around is just not an option. It would be great if airlines would revert to the baggage restrictions of a few years ago, and if I could take a burrow with me on long hikes like Ansel Adams did, but that's very wishful thinking!

I'm in total agreement with you about how backcountry photography ought to work, though. You shouldn't have to baby your tripod to the point that you can't even press down on it a bit to make sure it's stable. When you're out that far from the comforts of civilization, you have better things to worry about than whether or not your tripod is warm enough or can handle being planted into some snow. The darn thing needs to be able to take few knocks so that you can worry about getting your shots and getting home safely. End of story!

Anyway, it's not the carbon fiber that has been a problem with these tripods I've owned. Gitzo's heavier aluminum ones also have the same cast alloy for the spiders at the top, and it is that cast metal that is breaking apart, not the carbon fiber.

Jabbott and heron88, as for other brands that use cast alloys, I think you can probably understand my skepticism. In the last two days I've done more research on tripods that I ever wanted to do. I have a lot of photographer friends, and I've shot alongside some of them using some of these budget-brand tripods, and they're always very happy with their purchases. Nonetheless, it's not hard to find failure stories on the internet about any of these brands, except for RRS…but they are relatively new on the market. Of course, for every broken tripod story, there are hundreds more from happy customers. Gitzo is the perfect example: everyone loves their Gitzo tripod. Well, I just put too much time and money into my photography to have a busted tripod ruin my trip. And this whole warranty repair business is a huge hassle, which I just went through two years ago (and a year before that I had to return a Gitzo that arrived defective straight from the factory). I really don't see myself investing in some budget brand right now, especially after getting disappointed by a premium brand so many times.

Do I sound grumpy?! ;) :p Aaaaargh!!

You need, not require a lightweight tripod! Honestly, I think you have to seriously entertain buying another brand tripod after snapping two of these puppies like twigs! Sirui, Oden, and RRS are your options with a few others I didn't mention.

I hope you enjoy shopping since you need a tripod ASAP. I can't wait to hear what Gitzo tells you regarding your broken tripod. They might blame you, but they don't have a temperature rating system for their tripods. Maybe you can receive some sort of coupon for the value of your tripod and use it towards a series 2 or 3 tripod? Are you going to request a refund or another tripod from Gitzo?

Last edited:

heron88

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Fair enough. Please understand that Gitzo has a pretty comfortable market share, so they don't often feel the need to innovate and improve the design of their products. For example, from dpreview:

"Take the Gitzo Explorer. The carbon fiber version had freely spinning leg locks. When you tightened a lower leg lock, the turning of the tube would frequently unlock an upper leg lock. This made operating them very frustrating.

In that same time frame, Hakuba (parent of Velbon, or vise-verse, can't remember which) made a better freely spinning leg lock. They did something clever with compression joints so that tightening a lower lock was much less likely to release an upper lock. And they managed to make the leg locks about 1/2 inch shorter, despite the higher performance, which made a tripod of the same height with 4 section legs a full 1.5 inches shorter.

A little while later, Giottos launched full anti-rotation legs (inner spine on the leg, I believe) which never release upper sections when tightening lower ones. This style of mechanism was quickly copied by Induro (Benro).

It would be 5 more years before Gitzo would add anti-rotation leg locks to their own carbon fiber tripods."

This is just one example that Gitzo is behind the pack with design innovations. The design of their magnesium spiders is particularly suspect. Induro and others have much stronger designs which utilize cross-bracing and clever material placement to add strength where it is needed.

But you sound like you are already convinced about the short comings of Gitzo. RRS is a good option, but like you said, they are new to the market and quite expensive. I also understand that photography is a full time thing for you, so the risk of experimenting with different brands of tripods is not really an option. But I think the reputation of Induro can speak for itself.

I think the conditions in Antarctica are pretty cold (a 6 year old review):
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/indiro413.shtml

and see also
http://photofocus.com/2009/10/13/ho...e-to-make-the-biggest-gear-switch-of-my-life/

Of course it's ultimately your decision, but don't limit yourself to specific companies because you are afraid of so-called budget brands. Sometimes you don't need a boutique or luxury item to get the job done, and a lot of times the less expensive item actually does the job better. Let us know what you end up doing!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Chris, I hear you, I really do. But I do have two very real needs for a lightweight tripod: air travel and backpacking.

With the money you save by NOT buying a carbon tripod you can pay MANY $50 baggage fees.

I've gotten into underwater photography, underwater housings, Pelican cases, tanks, Needless to say that stuff don't fit in one bag.

As for backpacking my summer "dry weight", that means the total weight of a backpack and gear for a multi-day hike in the sierras but with no food or water. There will be patches of snow in summer and we can get freezing rain. I'm at 14 pounds "dry" I mean before adding food and water but I do include stove and fuel and sleeping bag and clothing and the pack itself. You can get the weight down. I work at it, for example last time I bought a Gortex parka I put several on a scale and found the weight of one was a full pound more. I cut toothbrush handles off as well as the metal pull tabs on zippers. I've gone to LED flashlights with AAA batteries so I no longer take spare AA cells. gram by gram you can get rid of stuff you don't need and pretty soon you've lost a kilogram.

It winter it goes up as I need a better tent and take more stuff

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
You need, not require a lightweight tripod! Honestly, I think you have to seriously entertain buying another brand tripod after snapping two of these puppies like twigs! Sirui, Oden, and RRS are your options with a few others I didn't mention.

I hope you enjoy shopping since you need a tripod ASAP. I can't wait to hear what Gitzo tells you regarding your broken tripod. They might blame you, but they don't have a temperature rating system for their tripods. Maybe you can receive some sort of coupon for the value of your tripod and use it towards a series 2 or 3 tripod? Are you going to request a refund or another tripod from Gitzo?

Apparently Gitzo does give temperature limits in the booklets that come with the tripods. Both of my booklets are back in California right now (I'm currently in Europe), but someone on POTN said that Gitzo specifies -30C (-22F) as the limit for cold weather use. Both of my tripods broke in much warmer weather than that (the low was -11C on Sunday evening, and there was almost no wind at that point).

I don't think I have any options to "request" anything from Gitzo other than a warranty repair. I fully expect that they will give me that much. I was using the tripod normally, within their specifications, and within the warranty period, and I purchased it from an official source (B&H). This was a 2-Series tripod, by the way.

Right now I'm inclined to buy a tripod from RRS. It's a lot more money than I would like to spend, and I already have a lot of deductions for 2012, but I can't bring myself to buy some Chinese knock-off brand or equivalent without substantial evidence that it won't be money down the drain. I really just want a great tripod that will serve me well until I'm too old and worn to carry it around anymore.

Edit: I just want to add that you guys are awesome for being so generous with your thoughts, advice, and links! I really appreciate all of these thoughtful replies!

Last edited:

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I don't think I have any options to "request" anything from Gitzo other than a warranty repair. I fully expect that they will give me that much. I was using the tripod normally, within their specifications, and within the warranty period, and I purchased it from an official source (B&H). This was a 2-Series tripod, by the way.

It may be worth contacting B&H and seeing if they'll give you a partial refund, since two strikes pretty-much kill any faith you'd have in traveling with the gear anymore. It's at least worth a try.

Paul

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

1) Low cost
2) light weight
3) strength

I've got a couple older heavy manfrotto leg sets, one of them with the reinforced + geared center column. They definitely have a rugged feel, but they are somewhat prone to vibrations, even with the mirror locked. 1Ds bodies have heavy shutters. Gitzo has been considered the gold standard in tripods for a long time, and they're owned by the same company. I'm not sure I'd put money on a new manfrotto being better made. It wasn't one of the carbon pieces that expired here. Regarding the three priorities, Gitzo never really hit number one.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I'm sorry to hear of this Phrasikleia, how frustrating :( I can't believe it's been two years since you started that thread, how time flies! :eek:

I don't know if it helps... but I recently bought a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 carbon fibre tripod for travel and love it. It's super light and folds up small and fits into carry-on luggage which I remember you being concerned about in the previous thread, my aim was to avoid having to check it in.
It does have 3 notches though and I remember you disliking the extra setup time (who wouldn't :p ) but a small price to pay imo for the small collapsed size (it has even fit into some hotel safes!). It says made in Italy on the side, and is nice and sturdy. I believe it's cast Al however, perhaps do some research into the material. Repetitive cold-warm changes could have stressed the structure, or perhaps it's just a Gitzo manufacture fault.

I bought mine from Hong Kong off eBay (like most of my camera gear), and saved around $200 off what it costs in Australia.

The only downside other is it's too nice to stick in the ocean, all of my other salt-eaten tripods look very miserable in comparison :p

Anyhow, I wish you good luck in your quest once again!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
With the money you save by NOT buying a carbon tripod you can pay MANY $50 baggage fees.

The fee is now $100 for the first extra bag (and $200 for each additional one after that). And that's per flight, not round-trip, so a minimum of $200 per round-trip.

I've got a couple older heavy manfrotto leg sets, one of them with the reinforced + geared center column. They definitely have a rugged feel, but they are somewhat prone to vibrations, even with the mirror locked.

Yup. I have an old set of aluminum Manfrotto legs stashed in a closet myself. I use that tripod as a light stand now.

The only downside other is it's too nice to stick in the ocean, all of my other salt-eaten tripods look very miserable in comparison :p

Anyhow, I wish you good luck in your quest once again!

Thanks, Reef. If money were no object, I'd probably buy one of those new Ocean models from Gitzo: all machined metals and guaranteed against corrosion. Then again, maybe I wouldn't because I'm mad at Gitzo now. :cool:

Anyway, I purchased a tripod from RRS yesterday. I should have it late next week. If this one breaks, then I'm going to have to invest in a monster wooden tripod and my own pack mule, dog sled team, and Sherpa. ;)

I'll send the Gitzo to Arizona for warranty repair, and then my husband will take it over as his main tripod.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Good luck with the RSS tripod. Let's hope it'll last and hold up when faced with the cold temps. My Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 has held up so far in the Montana winters out here. But I must admit, I have not ventured out for long, or too far from a warm car, to shoot when it gets below zero (F). BRRRRR!!!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Thanks, Reef. If money were no object, I'd probably buy one of those new Ocean models from Gitzo: all machined metals and guaranteed against corrosion. Then again, maybe I wouldn't because I'm mad at Gitzo now....

Anyway, I purchased a tripod from RRS yesterday ...

I really hope someone from Gitzo reads that bit above. They have not only lost your business, there also are those of us who are reading these words who will be having 2nd thoughts - and I think it's safe to say that most of us are serious photographers. Plus... there are all the people who are going to be asking us for advice about tripods. This adds up to a fair number of potential lost sales for Gitzo. We may not be totally avoiding Gitzo stuff, but Gitzo is now going to have a much harder sale, I believe.

One of the big NY photo stores (B&H Photo perhaps?) has a rep who reads this forum and occasionally extends excellent customer service. Since you bought it from B&H Photo, you might want to see if they can help with the warranty repair.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I really hope someone from Gitzo reads that bit above. They have not only lost your business, there also are those of us who are reading these words who will be having 2nd thoughts - and I think it's safe to say that most of us are serious photographers. Plus... there are all the people who are going to be asking us for advice about tripods. This adds up to a fair number of potential lost sales for Gitzo. We may not be totally avoiding Gitzo stuff, but Gitzo is now going to have a much harder sale, I believe.

One of the big NY photo stores (B&H Photo perhaps?) has a rep who reads this forum and occasionally extends excellent customer service. Since you bought it from B&H Photo, you might want to see if they can help with the warranty repair.

I know a B&H rep. reads the fredmiranda forum, and is very helpful. Since you bought yours at B&H, it might be an idea to post your story there as well.

Here in the NL the store is responsible for end-user warranty, not the manufacturer. ( the store can try to claim warranty at the manufacturer. But the result does not influence the warranty that the end-user gets).

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The fee is now $100 for the first extra bag (and $200 for each additional one after that). And that's per flight, not round-trip, so a minimum of $200 per round-trip.

That's brutal. Post your thoughts on the RRS one when it arrives.

Thanks, Reef. If money were no object, I'd probably buy one of those new Ocean models from Gitzo: all machined metals and guaranteed against corrosion. Then again, maybe I wouldn't because I'm mad at Gitzo now. :cool:

They aren't rated for much weight. I'm not sure if it's calculated the same way or based on proposed use.

Anyway, I purchased a tripod from RRS yesterday. I should have it late next week. If this one breaks, then I'm going to have to invest in a monster wooden tripod and my own pack mule, dog sled team, and Sherpa. ;)

You must post images of that if you ever do it:D. I was kind of kidding about the wooden tripod, but I've seen them, and they're ridiculously well built.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.