Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Handing in my iMac for service, how can I clean and clear out all private activity that shows all websites visited and files opened etc?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple service technicians don't have the time or inclination to look through your data. They just want to handle your service issues and move on to the next customer as quickly as possible. Your data is far more interesting to you than it is to anyone else.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Apple service technicians don't have the time or inclination to look through your data. They just want to handle your service issues and move on to the next customer as quickly as possible. Your data is far more interesting to you than it is to anyone else.

Can you be 100% sure?:rolleyes:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
If the hard drive failed I don't think you can..leaving them able to retrieve and see anything unless I'm wrong?!?

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
When you take your machine in for service, you sign a waiver that releases Apple from all responsibility for the data, including the security of that data.

For this reason, whenever you go in for service:

1. Have a full backup (if possible)
2. Format the disk clean (if possible)

This is particularly important if some of your data isn't yours - a client's, for example.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can you be 100% sure?:rolleyes:
Nothing in this world is 100% certain, but they handle thousands upon thousands of customer computers. Even if someone was curious, after they've seen a few hundred computers with the same sort of stuff on them, it would get very old. There's nothing special about anyone's data, except in their own eyes. :rolleyes:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Nothing in this world is 100% certain, but they handle thousands upon thousands of customer computers. Even if someone was curious, after they've seen a few hundred computers with the same sort of stuff on them, it would get very old. There's nothing special about anyone's data, except in their own eyes. :rolleyes:

It's more than their jobs are worth to go through it. They'll only access what's needed (i.e. if you have an iPhoto issue, then it's reasonable to expect them to open iPhoto). For most hardware problems, they probably won't even boot it into your OS.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
It's more than their jobs are worth to go through it. They'll only access what's needed (i.e. if you have an iPhoto issue, then it's reasonable to expect them to open iPhoto). For most hardware problems, they probably won't even boot it into your OS.

Do what I did:

Use Filevault and do not store your key with Apple.

I've seen them run their in-house diagnostic on such a machine. The drive is unreadable but will pass their diagnostics if there is no problem with it. I think the drive won't even boot at all past the initial password screen.

Worked out really well when bringing in the iMac for the HDD recall.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Do what I did:

I've seen them run their in-house diagnostic on such a machine. The drive is unreadable but will pass their diagnostics if there is no problem with it. I think the drive won't even boot at all past the initial password screen.

Worked out really well when bringing in the iMac for the HDD recall.

Genii have no access to your stored file vault key.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

This is a terrible response. You can't be sure of this so stop trying to elude that there is no chance.

OP, in your case I would clone your drive then reinstall the OS. Let them start with a fresh install.

ashleypenny

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012

easy enough to say, but reality is thats not always the case. Go on any tech support site and peopel are always talking about data found on client machines. In fact in the UK Paul Gadd (Gary Glitter was caught after taking his PC into PC world for a repair and a member of staff allerted police to what was on it. Hopefully thats not what the OP is concerned about though :D

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
This is a terrible response. You can't be sure of this so stop trying to elude that there is no chance.

OP, in your case I would clone your drive then reinstall the OS. Let them start with a fresh install.

You are able to do a fresh install of the OS if something is wrong though?

I come from window where you get the BSOD the screen of death and if that happens you're done, can't restore or anything. I guess OSX is different which is nice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You are able to do a fresh install of the OS if something is wrong though?

I come from window where you get the BSOD the screen of death and if that happens you're done, can't restore or anything. I guess OSX is different which is nice.

That is a good point and you know OSX isn't different. ;) You just have a good point. I have a MP, the stock drive is sitting in a box all nicely packed away for a quick swap should I need to take it in. My only issue with the MP was presumably hardware related. I say presumably because they never could figure it out and just gave me a new machine.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Do what I did:

Storing the Filevault master key with Apple is no problem. You can't actually store the key itself: You enter three security questions, the key is encrypted with the answers to those three questions, and only the encrypted key is sent to Apple. There is no way to get the key back except by entering the exact same three answers to unencrypt it.

Yes, but I listed the "paranoid" approach. Having Filevault on should be enough.

If you are paranoid, then you can't know that Apple doesn't send the key to Apple behind your back.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Storing the Filevault master key with Apple is no problem. You can't actually store the key itself: You enter three security questions, the key is encrypted with the answers to those three questions, and only the encrypted key is sent to Apple. There is no way to get the key back except by entering the exact same three answers to unencrypt it.

If you are paranoid, then you can't know that Apple doesn't send the key to Apple behind your back.

I do know that - because there is a massive escalation process in order to get the key. It takes about 5 days, and requires proof of identity to be sent (which you have to be present physically for - you cannot do it over the telephone with AppleCare). And as you said, even if they DO get the key, they can't decrypt it without information only you hold.

Apple don't have the time or need to go through your personal data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.