Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Has anyone seen a 30 pin to lightning adapter yet? One that would allow you to use the new lightning to USB cables to charge/sync older Apple devices like my wife's iPhone 4?

I figure if I have to buy any more new cables I might as well buy lightning to USB cables. But I still want the ability to charge my wife's iPhone 4, or our 3rd gen iPads which all still use the 30 pin adapter. I know there are options for adapting the 30 pin cable to work with the lightning port, but I would rather go the other way around and adapt the lightning cable to work with the 30 pin ports.

Otherwise I guess I can just buy Micro USB cables, and then buy a bunch of Lighting to Micro USB, or 30 pin to Micro USB adapters. Although I'm not sure if the Lighting to Micro USB adapter will work with my iPhone 5 case.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This guy isn't looking for a standard 30-pin to lightning adapter, which converts an old 30-pin connector to lightning, but rather the opposite, something to convert new lightning cables to 30-pin.

Honestly, what's the point? You probably have plenty of 30-pin cables around from all the devices you've had over the years right? Just carry an extra cable - it's not that bulky, and it's a heck of a lot easier than keeping track of tiny adapters that might not work with cases, are failure prone, etc. Plus it's something more to buy.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Anyone see anything like this yet? I'm still looking.

As far as why, I am trying to prepare for the future. Right now I have only my iPhone 5 that uses the lightning connector, but I have two 3rd Gen iPads, and my wife's iPhone 4 that still use the 30 pin connector. Eventually I will replace the iPads and my wife's iPhone with newer models, but for now I need to be able to charge with a 30 pin adapter.

I have been having some of my existing 30 pin cables start to fail. Between the cat chewing on them, the dog's tail catching them and ripping them out of devices, my wife being careless, etc. I am starting to have to replace some of the older ones. Since I have to buy a new cable anyway, I would rather buy Lightning to USB cables to be ready for the future when the older devices get replaced. I could then just use a simple 30 pin to lightning adapter to allow me to still charge/sync my older devices until they are replaced.

I have thought about getting Micro USB cables and then getting 30 pin to micro and lightning to micro adapters, but I'm afraid the lightning to micro USB adapters might be too big to use with some cases and I don't like having to remove cases to charge/sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.