Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Another thing that appears to have been addressed (although perhaps it's a bit early to be certain, given its random nature) is iDevices not appearing in the sidebar.

We have 2 iPhones and an iPad and, prior to 11, they would always appear in the sidebar (but only sync wirelessly when connected to a power source, which is correct) but since 11 their appearance would be hit and miss. The only reliable way I found to force them to appear was to reboot the Mac. Quitting iTunes and restarting it wasn't enough.

Edit spoke too soon. Still broken, and further research reveals it to be an iOS 6.0.1 bug, not iTunes

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Either press Enter after starting your search or turn off Search Entire Library.

That is a plain idiotic UI. To summarize: I type "Toto Africa" in the search box. iTunes shows "No Results / Search iTunes Store". Then seeing that there are no search results, hitting "Enter" shows the song or songs. That is stupid, stupid, stupid. If its a bug, it needs to be fixed. If its designed to do that, whoever designed it should be shot.

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
That is a plain idiotic UI. To summarize: I type "Toto Africa" in the search box. iTunes shows "No Results / Search iTunes Store". Then seeing that there are no search results, hitting "Enter" shows the song or songs. That is stupid, stupid, stupid. If its a bug, it needs to be fixed. If its designed to do that, whoever designed it should be shot.

I agree. hitting Enter may work but it should show on the search results list.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK

It's sounds like it initially does a literal string search, but when you hit Enter it changes to an 'any words match' search.

As you say, stupid!

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
coverflow back!

What about all our other complaints...

- Main one is bring coverflow back.
- black background option.
- Album artwork on bottom left column.

thanks in advance!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I'm glad about the searching and the duplicates. :):):):D

----------

What about all our other complaints...

- Main one is bring coverflow back.
- black background option.
- Album artwork on bottom left column.

thanks in advance!

Yes, I'm still waiting for those too.

Last edited:

beginnersview

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
SF Bay area
Next put back:
- album art in the bottom left corner of the sidebar
- album art in list view
- multiple windows so that I can actually choose where in a playlist to add a song!

The multi-window ability is one thing that I too wish they would bring back.

As with my other complaints/issues, I will be filing an Apple Feedback on this.
Please consider filing a request with them for other features they have removed.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

I mean, I used it often to compare playlists.
Now, you will have to take a snapshot, then compare the snapshot of the other playlist to the one in the main (and only) window.

Apple seems to be heading back to full "Modal" user interface on its apps (Modal meaning there is only one window allowed to interact with an application). Something that most software developers grew out of back in the 90's. But hey, Apple has decided it is good to force only one window on you, and if you want to compare, well the h-- with you.
So drink the Apple cool-aid and repeat the Mantra: whatever Apple does is always the best.

So sticking with 10.7 as long as possible.

Nothing against change, but change that removes helpful features?
That is plain stupid.
There is sadly, some insanity in the development philosophy at Apple sometimes.

Last edited:

beginnersview

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
SF Bay area
Their software development has become a big embarrassment.

As much as I don't particularly like ms nor google they are both currently running circles around them.

Even more embarrassing is the fact that while google and ms have to support a gazillion of configurations in tablets and pcs respectively, apple only has a few configurations of idevices and macs to support as they continue to aggressively force obsolete most of them.

Definitely agree that Apple seems constantly in a rush to remove options and features and models.

( I imagine the management, engineers and developers singing while they work:
we don't need no stinking CD/DVD...
we don't need no easy access to SD slot or USB port or...
we don't want fat machines, thin is always better...
we don't need cover flow, playlist window comparison, or whatever was in that bad old previous version of the software -- which we now hate hate hate!
)

Sigh
Are there gremlins or what running the development rules there? :rolleyes:

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
iTunes Match

How about the problem where iTunes deleted my entire music library and now won't even connect!

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany
Might be a Windows 7 issue but is anyone else having the problem of not being able to access the scroll bar on the right hand side?

Problem only turned up with v11 and hasn't been fixed by 11.0.1.

When iTunes opens, it takes up the whole screen but is not maximised. The scroll bar is missing. I can maximise the window but the scroll bar still does not appear. It only turns up when I drag the window away from the edge of the screen. Then I can resize it and maximise and the scroll bar stays displayed. Not a major issue, just annoying to have to do this every time I start iTunes...

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Downgraded to 10.7 a few days ago and everything is solid and fine and dandy again.

Not going through that again, thanks Apple. I'll wait at least a few weeks and hear user feedback first this time!

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
I have a huge library and the new searching was unbearable in this new version. I know I could turn off the "Search Entire Library" but that ruined the intuitiveness of it.

It still stutters a bit but I can handle that over completely beach-balling me. I wish it would optimize the database in the background. Maybe an option to tell it to load more of the DB in memory.

That thing should be fast. Granted I have 105,535 tracks about 674GB.

That was the biggest improvement in the update I noticed as well. Like you, I have and extremely large library and prior to the fix, you might as well start searching and then go grab a cup of coffee waiting for it to catch up. MUCH better now.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I still don't understand why we can't do anything while updating song info... Please upgrade the backend of this app already.

grubworth

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
itunes is now based heavily on organization, when will they allow to correct meta data with ituns match!?

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Still left shuffle as a global setting:mad:

Seems to have 'fixed' :( some other things that weren't broken
E.g Finder - prior to update - I had favourites bottom, now they are top. This update reset all "My" preferences in Finder... Another dose of Apple Newspeak?

Last edited:

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
That iTunes Match thing will never run out of troubles in this lifetime.

@chrisci: To add salt to the wounds (pardon the expression, but it just came), even Linux has Rhythmbox which offers the precise feature that you called out. I'm surprised Apple hasn't nailed this one.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Home sharing bug not fixed. Although it could be an Apple TV bug.

Access iMac from Apple TV and stream video. After 15min iMac goes to sleep and Apple TV stops playback. It takes a reboot of the Apple TV to detect iMac and then same thing.

No issue prior to updating Apple TV software and/or iTunes 11.

Update of apps bug not fixed. How they can not fix this beats me.

Update app on Device, sync device to iTunes either wireless or via USB. Sync occurs but update app doesn't copy back to iTunes. Sync ends.

Check for updates in iTunes and update for the app shows up.

In past versions iTunes would copy from the device back to library the app if its a more recent version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.