Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
You know that on iOS, usage is not screen on, do you?

Yes I am aware but the fact I don't have to worry about this phone making it through the day is the selling point. I can beat the crap out of this phone and not have to worry about buying an extra Lightning cable.

regardless of his usage time, the fact of the matter is that he ends the day with significantly more battery than he did with the nexus. and this is without micro managing wifi/bluetooth/etc settings.

This is exactly my point. People with the N4 can't tell me that they don't have to micro manage the device all day long. I know you are because we got plenty of scientists on Android Central posting screen shots figuring out this and that. Silly.

I'm glad you tried it with an open mind. No platform is for everyone. And your approach was much better that many's. you didn't play with a demo phone at a kiosk for 10 minutes and then say you have experience with android.

Yes I was very excited to get the N4. Especially after a few weeks of waiting for my shipment. I just LOVED the hardware. The OS and platform was far from difficult to figure out. Yes settings and the UI look different from iOS, but I expected that.

At the end and I know it was only for a week of usage, the phone was very frustrating to use with the battery life.

The hardware will be the only thing I will miss. But at the same time, I got a love/hate relationship with the iP5 "one hand" usage of the iP5.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah I love Jelly Bean and the customization you can do with Android too. I just can't take the time and manage the phone to get the battery to perform up to par. Plus for me the camera and music player was awful compared to the iP5.

It all boils down to personal needs and the iOS ecosystem, awesome battery life, iPod, and camera brought me back to the iP5.

OP if you're still checking this thread, I'd really like to know what you disliked about the camera. Having read through this the comments on this detail are a bit fuzzy and I was considering one of these due to the combination of positive reviews and off contract pricing. I read it was the same camera as the 4S, although firmware and processing algorithms can make a difference, and the quality of the screen can affect how photos are perceived.

Edit: somehow I missed this last comment, so it was only 3 days ago.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
OP if you're still checking this thread, I'd really like to know what you disliked about the camera. Having read through this the comments on this detail are a bit fuzzy and I was considering one of these due to the combination of positive reviews and off contract pricing. I read it was the same camera as the 4S, although firmware and processing algorithms can make a difference, and the quality of the screen can affect how photos are perceived.

The focus on the camera is not that great, e.g close up shots are blurry. Much more noise than the i5

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
So I "upgraded" from a Galaxy SIII to a Nexus 4 but it's been nothing but problems. Out of the box, the network settings only give me GPRS/Edge so I checked for the proper settings over on XDA in order to get HSPA+, and now I lose signal off, and on. Apparently I need to call AT&T, and have my service downgraded from an LTE plan to a standard 4G/smartphone plan such as older Android devices, and iPhone 4S. That's a compromise I'm not willing to make. This phone is super slick, and the responsiveness of Android 4.2 is above and beyond anything else. On par with iOS easily. However I have no landline, and my phone is my only means of communication so I need my phone to "just work" and right now the Nexus 4 isn't cutting it. Perhaps when I get more time I'll try and tinker with it, and get it up and running again, but right now I've put my sim card back in my GS3 until I can decide what I want to do. :cool:

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

Well the iP5 def takes sharper photos, better color saturation straight from the camera, much much better macro shots, and def way better in low light (even simple indoor shots).

Both cameras have fast shutter speeds but the N4 is def not made to be a top notch camera phone. It will give you decent shots, but far from high quality.

All my opinion of course

----------

So I "upgraded" from a Galaxy SIII to a Nexus 4 but it's been nothing but problems. Out of the box, the network settings only give me GPRS/Edge so I checked for the proper settings over on XDA in order to get HSPA+, and now I lose signal off, and on. Apparently I need to call AT&T, and have my service downgraded from an LTE plan to a standard 4G/smartphone plan such as older Android devices, and iPhone 4S. That's a compromise I'm not willing to make. This phone is super slick, and the responsiveness of Android 4.2 is above and beyond anything else. On par with iOS easily. However I have no landline, and my phone is my only means of communication so I need my phone to "just work" and right now the Nexus 4 isn't cutting it. Perhaps when I get more time I'll try and tinker with it, and get it up and running again, but right now I've put my sim card back in my GS3 until I can decide what I want to do. :cool:

I had to do the same thing by adjusting the access point. It was a pain because like you, I had to change my plan and make sure it was correct. I live in a pretty busy city and the HSPA+ speeds were very underwhelming.

LTE or bust for me for now on

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I ended up selling my nexus 4. I just didn't like it. I've had a Samsung s3 and I have to say I liked that phone much better. I was tempted to buy one again but have gone back to the 5

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I dont know if this analogy is appropriate, but I was chatting with my friends and market shares aside, you can apply this concept with android vs ios to what we experienced on the PC.

Windows has great applications and all the software support in the world. Everything worked with little to no tweaks and you can find tons of support for anything you were trying to do. This, to a certain extent can be applied to the case of iOS.

Android on the other hand can be applied to Linux distros. There are hundreds of distros (android roms), each with focus on a special purpose, you can literally do anything you want, but it requires you to go in, research and tweak everything to the way you want it. In the end you have to test and try different hardware and softwares for the perfect mix.

I am not saying one is better than the other, and its not a perfect fit, so I am sure people will tear my comparison apart. But what I am getting at is each system is different and there will be people who appreciate certain aspects of it over other systems, one mans trash is another's treasure.

I owned a launchday 3G, launchday 4, then a Galaxy SII, and now an iphone 5. I loved android when I played with it, it was efficient and had a lot of options to play and tweak. But after a year, ultimately the constant testing and reflashing roms, re-setting my settings, micromanaging my tasks for battery, and overall instability (probably due to my rom), and the ios ecosystem along with my friends all using iphones brought me back. I will say I do miss some widgets and customizability, but it feels good to be back on iOS. Sorry....

mathi-vadhanan

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Socal
I was bummed by the battery life too. But turning off NFC and google now, gives me twice the usage time. Now I charge it only once in 2 days, which is awesome for a smartphone.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
now I lose signal off, and on. Apparently I need to call AT&T, and have my service downgraded from an LTE plan to a standard 4G/smartphone plan such as older Android devices, and iPhone 4S. That's a compromise I'm not willing to make.

Mine loses signal all the time, off and on. I am getting decent HSPA+ speeds. But I am on an iPhone LTE plan. I still do not think this has anything to do with the signal dropping out. I just believe this has a weaker radio.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Mine loses signal all the time, off and on. I am getting decent HSPA+ speeds. But I am on an iPhone LTE plan. I still do not think this has anything to do with the signal dropping out. I just believe this has a weaker radio.

I rely on my phone for work, and personal and as of now my sim card is back in my S3. I really want to keep the Nexus 4 but I think I'm going to send it back while I've still got time to return it.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
ultimately the constant testing and reflashing roms, re-setting my settings, micromanaging my tasks for battery, and overall instability (probably due to my rom), and the ios ecosystem along with my friends all using iphones brought me back. I will say I do miss some widgets and customizability, but it feels good to be back on iOS. Sorry....

This is exactly what I was talking about..micro managing a phone shouldn't have to be done. Some might enjoy it though, and good for them.

The Google ecosystem wasn't too bad for me...I found Google Drive and Google+ great and staying in sync with the Nexus 4 and MBA.

For me, it really came down to horrible battery life, subpar music player, and an eh camera. Chrome def needs some mobile upgrading badly.

Guess even with the blah iOS, it is very functional, don't need to shut things off ever just to make it through a day, and having a true music player and camera again is great. Having LTE again is also a bonus.

I will miss that stunning N4 screen and the freedom of customizing

I rely on my phone for work, and personal and as of now my sim card is back in my S3. I really want to keep the Nexus 4 but I think I'm going to send it back while I've still got time to return it.

You should try and sell it because I believe Google Play has a restocking fee on all Nexus devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.