Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
I'll be sure to get this before the January 3rd deadline. This game brings back so many memories. :D

But what's up with the heavy system requirements for both Mac and Windows?

Practically 2GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM for both systems! :eek: I remember the Win 95 beige box that I installed Duke Nukem 3D on as a kid didn't have anything close to that and it ran the game just fine. It was something like a 200MHz Pentium II CPU, 128MB of RAM, a 1MB GPU, and less than 1GB HDD. :eek: I still have my original Duke Nukem 3D box and disk somewhere. I should dig it out and post it up on here! :D

DealNews are reporting it wrong, the deal ends on Friday, so get it sooner than later. The reason for the high system reqs is because it is being run through DOSBox on both Windows and Mac - it is emulating the DOS environment on top of the game. That requires a beefier rig than when the game was running natively.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
5. "Shake it, baby!"

6. "Damn.. I'm lookin' GOOOOODD!"

7. "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of gum."

8. "Damn. Those alien b******s are gonna pay for shootin' up my ride!"

9. "Damn! That's the second time those alien b******s shot up my ride!"

And my personal favourite....

10. "This is KTIT! KTIT! playing the breast....errr... the best tunes in town!"

Love that game. I'm all over this like fat tick on a lazy dog when I get home tonight.

BL.

11. "Makin' Bacon"

12. "I go wherever I please and I please wherever I go"

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
The cheesy graphics only served to make me miss Descent more.

Now that's a DOS game for ya! I got a Descent box set with 1, 2, and a user map add-on pack for Christmas one year. Some of those fan-mod tunnel designs were beautiful and vertigo-inducing at the same time.

If I'm not mistaken, Kurt Harland, the lead singer for Information Society, was a big fan of the game and even played in tournaments. He's now a sound/music designer in the video gaming industry.

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
30" ACD never looked so bad.

Buy the download from GOG

Grab Eduke32 universal here: http://eduke32.com (click on the mac icon)

Grab the Duke4 HRP Standalone file from here: http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

Install the game from GOG.

Go to ~/Library/Application Support/

Make and EDuke32 folder.

mount the EDuke32 dmg downloaded above and copy everything in it to ~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/

Go to your applications folder and do a show contents on Duke Nukem 3D. Navigate into Contents and then Resources. Do a show contents on Duke Nukem 3D.boxer. Navigate into C.Harddisk and copy the DUKE3D.GRP and DUKE.RTS files into the ~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/ folder.

Now unpack the HRP zip file you downloaded. Copy everything inside the zip file (txt files, flat files, folders, etc) and paste it into the ~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/ folder.

It will now look something like this:

2012-12-13 01.09.17 pm.jpg

Run the EDuke32 app and set the video mode to something nice and big in 32bpp.

2012-12-13 01.11.41 pm.jpg

Voila. Playable game.

PS: Thanks to the whole Duke Community. If you get a kick out of it donations to the linked parties are/would be appreciated, etc etc.

Karl P

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Yea, its was great game! For those who want to have some more fun try to type following while in game ( without quoest ):

d n s t u f f = all weapons
d n k r o z z = god mode

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yea, its was great game! For those who want to have some more fun try to type following while in game ( without quoest ):

d n s t u f f = all weapons
d n k r o z z = god mode

Should be 1 Z on the last cheat code.

BL.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
THANKS!

I'm definitely going to do this!

Grab Eduke32 universal here: http://eduke32.com (click on the mac icon)

Grab the Duke4 HRP Standalone file from here: http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

Install the game from GOG.

Go to ~/Library/Application Support/

Make and EDuke32 folder.

mount the EDuke32 dmg downloaded above and copy everything in it to ~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/

Go to your applications folder and do a show contents on Duke Nukem 3D. Navigate into Contents and then Resources. Do a show contents on Duke Nukem 3D.boxer. Navigate into C.Harddisk and copy the DUKE3D.GRP and DUKE.RTS files into the ~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/ folder.

Now unpack the HRP zip file you downloaded. Copy everything inside the zip file (txt files, flat files, folders, etc) and paste it into the ~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/ folder.

It will now look something like this:

View attachment 383341

Run the EDuke32 app and set the video mode to something nice and big in 32bpp.

View attachment 383343

Voila. Playable game.

PS: Thanks to the whole Duke Community. If you get a kick out of it donations to the linked parties are/would be appreciated, etc etc.

Karl P

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Just downloaded it, and it's working, albeit with one flaw: no sound effects. Funny; the MIDI music plays fine, just not the sounds. And Duke Nukem without his signature snarky quotes is not much fun. If anyone comes across some proper Boxer sound settings, let me know.

(I'm on an iMac Core i3, late 2010 running SL.)

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
got it, was charged full price even though website said free and confirmation said it was free...

*sigh*

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
+1 iamkarlp, thanks for the write up! I downloaded Duke from GOG last night and my son was completely underwhelmed by the original graphics. The EDuke32 updates really helped spiff things up.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Mother !@#$%^!!!!!!

I missed the update about this being offered only until today and now we have to pay for it. It's only $3 but still, I missed it! :mad::(:(:mad:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks Karl for the instructions to make it look "HD"!!
downloading the HR pack which is what I have left to do.
Is there any way to play w/ a PS3 controller? I don't mind playing it PC style, since that is how I used to play the game anyways, but would like to know if its possible.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

Had to stop using EDUKE32, the damn thing keep giving me black screens & crashing my laptop, had to force turn off the laptop every time it happened. Saves also crash the app. Will keep using the classic DN3D

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Had to stop using EDUKE32, the damn thing keep giving me black screens & crashing my laptop, had to force turn off the laptop every time it happened. Saves also crash the app. Will keep using the classic DN3D

There is a large group of us using eduke32 on osx.

While I certainly don't doubt that it is giving you trouble, it isn't common either.

Make sure your computer is capable of using the v5 hrp pack, you may need to use the polymost v5 or even the v4 files.

Failing all of that, you can check to see if it will run in plain eduke32 with just the two files out of the GOG contents.

Late model machines should be ok, as would be earlier machines with discrete graphics.

Don't let the old game fool you, the hrp pack uses a different render engine which uses quite a few resources

Karl P

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
There is a large group of us using eduke32 on osx.

While I certainly don't doubt that it is giving you trouble, it isn't common either.

Make sure your computer is capable of using the v5 hrp pack, you may need to use the polymost v5 or even the v4 files.

Failing all of that, you can check to see if it will run in plain eduke32 with just the two files out of the GOG contents.

Late model machines should be ok, as would be earlier machines with discrete graphics.

Don't let the old game fool you, the hrp pack uses a different render engine which uses quite a few resources

Karl P
Thanks Karl for both answers.
I will look into the controller app, I had one similar when I had tiger.

The issue I have is based on my ext. LG monitor display. If I run it w/out the external display then it runs fine based on 2-3 tries w/out it. I think it cannot handle the pass to the ext display properly and gets stuck and shows a black screen? I did use the V4 files too and had same issues :( Also, you can create a folder called autoload and put the zip of the HRP w/out having to unzip it. It's a shame because it looks way better than the original. I might try later when a new version of when the engine is updated again. Thanks for all the info! :) Maybe I need V3 of the HRP or older engine or something? My macbook is a 2007 w/ a crappy 950GMA & 2.16Core 2 Duo running Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.