Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmi3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Hilton Head Island SC
When I'm forwarding or replying to mail on my desktop, I usually delete the extraneous multiple packages of email addresses, comments and trailing anti-virus stuff at the end of the original message. It's easy to do: place the cursor at the beginning of the material to be deleted and drag down to the end of what you want to delete and hit the Return button.

But on the iPhone 5 with its IOS format, it's not easy. Put your finger/stylus in the middle of the message and the choice is Select or Select All. The latter deletes everything except the Subject line.

But what do I do if I DON'T want to delete everything? Can I selectively delete just one or more paragraphs? Just the multiple forwarded emails?

The grab points explained in the iPhone 5 PDF manual only gives you one shot at the selection and then the FORWARD link comes up.

Surprisingly the David Pogue book iPhone 5 Missing Manual doesn't cover this topic.

I dislike sending un-edited forwarded messages as much as receiving them.

Can anyone help?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It sounds like you only want to keep a small bit, so I'd suggest selecting and cutting that bit, then selecting and erasing everything else, and then pasting that bit.

Hardly elegant, but a bit better than what you're doing now.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Actually, it's easy.

You "Select All" and then you can use the little blue "pin" icon to shape the size of the selected area. Then hit the "back" button and it erases everything in the selected area.

I just tried it on my i5 and it worked easily.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Actually, it's easy.

You "Select All" and then you can use the little blue "pin" icon to shape the size of the selected area. Then hit the "back" button and it erases everything in the selected area.

I just tried it on my i5 and it worked easily.

Thats how I do it when I want to remove aspects of text on the iPhone.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It sounds like you only want to keep a small bit, so I'd suggest selecting and cutting that bit, then selecting and erasing everything else, and then pasting that bit.

Hardly elegant, but a bit better than what you're doing now.

I'll also do the reply and cut out chunks while I'm composing, but really 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.