Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, we noted that this weekend's group of Apple retail store grand openings would be headlined by the company's Causeway Bay flagship location in Hong Kong. The store features three levels, with a 30-foot tall glass curtain wall making a significant impact on the shopping center.

With the store set to open to the public tomorrow, Apple has been putting the finishing touches on it and has unveiled the store for passersby to see. ifoAppleStore's Gary Allen pointed to an image posted to Flickr showing showing the full scale of the store's glass facade.

causeway_bay_store_glass.jpg
M.I.C. gadget has also posted a number of photos of the store, as well as a short video giving a glimpse of the store from the outside.

As we previously noted, Apple is also opening new stores tomorrow in the following cities: Chengdu, China; Melbourne, Australia; and Malmö, Sweden. Apple is also opening its replacement Third Street Promenade store in Santa Monica, California tomorrow, moving into a much larger space. The new store is one of the first to use a design based on that of the Upper West Side store in Manhattan, with similar stores having already opened in Houston and Palo Alto.

Finally, Apple is opening a replacement Rockway store in New Jersey tomorrow, allowing Apple to close one of its last "mini-stores" in the U.S.

Article Link: Apple's New Causeway Bay Retail Store in Hong Kong Unveiled

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I forgot they were redesigning the Santa Monica store.

Last edited:

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
wow an all glass facade that lets everyone see all the shoppers inside checking out the itoys.
It doesn't look anything at all like any of the other Apple stores.

Seriously you could take a photo of any of the other stores and say its in Antarctica or the Florida swamp and no one would know the difference.All the Apple stores look the same, thats the whole point. I don't understand the fascination with posting photos of every new store as if it is something special.

Are there websites that post photos of all the new Starbucks or McDonalds that open up as well?

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Simply put: retail expansion outside of the US is crucial for Apple's continued growth and funds for R&D.

I really like seeing how Apple manages itself overseas as it does at home.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yawn

It looks like every other Apple store in every shopping mall in every city everywhere.

Meh.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
wow an all glass facade that lets everyone see all the shoppers inside checking out the itoys.

Seriously you could take a photo of any of the other stores and say its in Antarctica or the Florida swamp and no one would know the difference.All the Apple stores look the same, thats the whole point. I don't understand the fascination with posting photos of every new store as if it is something special.

Are there websites that post photos of all the new Starbucks or McDonalds that open up as well?

I'm surprised Starbucks hasn't tried to make a deal to put their kiosks inside some of the larger, more popular Apple stores, even if some of them already have Starbucks stores next door.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I'm surprised Starbucks hasn't tried to make a deal to put their kiosks inside some of the larger, more popular Apple stores, even if some of them already have Starbucks stores next door.

I'm foreseeing iced pumpkin spice lattes being spilled all over MacBook Pros.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Apple over expands its retail outlets in Hong Kong. It's a gambling.

Hong Kong is a small city with very good subway system. It does not need two giant Apple flagship stores which locate in the very expensive downtown area. The rent is very very expensive.

For that size of store area, I would rather run a department store for Italian fasions, because Apple does not have a big product portfolio. It is a waste to use the store for an Apple classroom or for people killing time during lunch hour.

Another thing, I'm not sure if Apple authorized dealers in Hong Kong would be happy about Apple is eating their lunch.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010

Does ANY corporation get sites posting rumors about rumors, about potential "maybe" possibilities, about every tiny detail of what the next iteration might be about anything to do with Apple? Of furthering the Apple story? No. Possibly because for the last 15+years Apple has innovated itself into headline material, pro or con. Suits me. Don't own stock but serves my personal needs as well as pro needs in filmmaking.
Oh, btw, you just joined the masses hooked on furthering the story.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Not complaining or trashing Apple but at some point all the stores begin to look the same so the excitement of seeing these new stores on MR has become lackluster at best.

ZildjianLudwig

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Not complaining or trashing Apple but at some point all the stores begin to look the same so the excitement of seeing these new stores on MR has become lackluster at best.
Maybe a third RSS feed could be dedicated to store-openings. Or even international-news?

Call me the rude American, but I don't need another entry in my RSS reader every time :apple: deploys iTunes Match to another country, or opens a new store in Uzbekistan.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Maybe a third RSS feed could be dedicated to store-openings. Or even international-news?

Call me the rude American, but I don't need another entry in my RSS reader every time :apple: deploys iTunes Match to another country, or opens a new store in Uzbekistan.

I hear ya!! Slow news day when we are graced with pictures of Apple's stores. What's next, Macy's? :D

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012

Don't you know Apple has a PR Department? PRopaganda Department.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
crap.
As crowded as it already is in Causeway bay, this will make it even more crowded....

I'm avoiding Causeway Bay as much as possible from now on....

Too
Many
People
In
Hong Kong

enough said.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'd rather read this than stupid **** Eric Schmidt says or what device some Samsung Exec uses outside of the office.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Does ANY corporation get sites posting rumors about rumors, about potential "maybe" possibilities, about every tiny detail of what the next iteration might be about anything to do with Apple? Of furthering the Apple story? No. Possibly because for the last 15+years Apple has innovated itself into headline material, pro or con. Suits me. Don't own stock but serves my personal needs as well as pro needs in filmmaking.
Oh, btw, you just joined the masses hooked on furthering the story.

Your personal needs and your pro needs in filmaking? Makes no sense, but yeah, whatever man...

I for once echo what the op said, another store, looking like any other apple store for the (us) lemmings, big effing deal. yaawwwwn..

Now why on earth can't you double click the top to minimize the new "delayed to be bug free", "streamlined" itunes?

xxnemoxx

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
why can't we have Apple stores like that here in the US :(

Besides the 5th Ave. Store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.