Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Went to check my iPhone 3Gs this morning and the battery was completely dead, took about 15 minutes hooked up to my Mac before it came back to life, charging now.

I have charged it last night so it should have been fine for today. My only guess is I was playing with the new navigating on the Google Maps and had not canceled the trip, maybe it was on all night until the battery drained? I did notice it was warmer than normal when charging.

The only reason the trip was still programmed was I could not find a way to end/cancel the trip. I think I have now but it appears you need to manually quite the program to turn it off fully, at least on my 3Gs.

I can't figure out how to use street view on this thing. And also it says "Public transit information not available in this region" I LIVE IN VANCOUVER B.C.!!

Put in an address then pull up the address tab at the bottom of the screen, it should be there if available.

Last edited:

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I can't figure out how to use street view on this thing. And also it says "Public transit information not available in this region" I LIVE IN VANCOUVER B.C.!!

Press and hold on a street and the address details will appear.

Select the address and if streetview is available it will appear the bottom of the screen.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Press and hold on a street and the address details will appear.

Select the address and if streetview is available it will appear the bottom of the screen.

How do you un-select an address or remove a red pin from the map?

maconservative

macrumors regular
May 1, 2006
Republic of Texas
And also it says "Public transit information not available in this region" I LIVE IN VANCOUVER B.C.!!

The only thing I can figure on this is if your Current Location is in an area where Public Transit isn't an immediate option.

For example, I live in a suburb north of Dallas that does not feed into the Dallas Public Transit (DART). I can not get Public Transit routing into Dallas from my Current Location. If I were to select a starting location 5 miles south that has Public Transit routing, Google Maps will provide the Public Transit routing.

This is weird because in other versions of Google Maps (desktop, android, old iOS 5 app) the app will say to either drive or walk from the Current Location to where the Public Transit routing begins.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
You really have to applaud Google, BAILING Apple out from its WORST customer and public relations DISASTER in recent memory.

Google could have let Apple HANG itself with its own mistakes, but rather showed enough RESPECT to iOS users to give them a CHOICE. Would Apple have done this for ANYONE, let alone Google? Of course not!

That alone shows which company is truly more pro-consumer rather than anti-competition.

Now if only Apple could take that SMALL step in doing what Android does, which is ALLOW its users to CHOOSE their OWN default apps, that would be a BRILLIANT gesture of good faith to all iOS users. Let's just hope Tim Cook follows Steve Jobs' advice and "does the right thing".

I would say Apple single handedly forced improvements of Google maps without having to give Google anything.

Google could have let Apple HANG itself with its own mistakes, but rather showed enough RESPECT to iOS users to give them a CHOICE

Google's motivation is not to respect iOS users but to mine their data. One of the biggest assets Apple has is its millions of iOS users that Google wants to tap into. Just goes to show that Google needs Apple more then Apple needs Google.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Both sides of the religious fanboys are equally funny here.

The Apple side:
"Apple maps is flawless! Google maps sucks! No Thanks! :eek:"

the Google side:
"Google did this for you all iOS users out of charity. Yes, charity! They are so kind!" :eek:

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
This is a Godsend. Detailed station infrastructure and myriad alleyways have returned to Tokyo. Not to mention accurately placed data and public transportation.

Thanks to Google and Apple for getting their sh** worked out in as little as three months. Who knows how many people would have died of thirst in the outback.

hejda

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012

I noticed that as well.

If I enter an address and select public transit before it's calculated, it works fine.

If I enter an address with driving selected, then try and switch to public transit with the tab on the bottom right, it says transit directions are not available, which is clearly not the case.

I can only imagine this is a bug, but if it is I'm surprised such an obvious one made it through testing.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Or maybe there are legitimate reasons why it's not included for the iPhone 4. Your second point is performance related. It could be performance, it could be data usage, it could be other things. Why do the requirements have anything to do with Apple at all?

Yeah I agree that the navigation and 3d part is going to be choppy on iPhone 4. But even when using the app in "Normal" mode (similar to iOS 5 Google Maps), its really choppy compared to iOS 5 Google Maps on iPhone 4. At least it should be smooth in 2d, but its not. :(

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah I agree that the navigation and 3d part is going to be choppy on iPhone 4. But even when using the app in "Normal" mode (similar to iOS 5 Google Maps), its really choppy compared to iOS 5 Google Maps on iPhone 4. At least it should be smooth in 2d, but its not. :(

The new Google Map uses vector graphics while the old one was plain bitmap. The former is much more CPU intensive than simply displaying a bitmap picture.

iMestr

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Slovenia
No Google Maps in the App Store

I thought Google Maps' release was international but I still can't find Google Maps in the Slovenian App Store. =( Guess I'll just have to create US or UK account. =)

DMSWE

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Still like Apple Maps better. It's more integrated within the OS (Siri, contacts, lock screen)

Never had a problem with Apple Maps and really don't think it is bad as most of you make it seem. Goodnight.

This is just so tiresome and has been repeated again and again...

It's fantastic that Apple Maps works for you, but it is virtually useless for some of us. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. Don't you think the bolded part kind of gave you a clue?

If you're not a driver in the US, chances are that you're way better of with a third party offering. I know I am, even though I miss the deep integration of a native app.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
This is just so tiresome and has been repeated again and again...

It's fantastic that Apple Maps works for you, but it is virtually useless for some of us. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. Don't you think the bolded part kind of gave you a clue?

If you're not a driver in the US, chances are that you're way better of with a third party offering. I know I am, even though I miss the deep integration of a native app.

I'm sorry it upsets you that some people don't have a problem with Apple Maps.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I downloaded and installed Google Maps on my iphone 5 today and I'm experiencing something that makes it virtually unusable for me. Whenever the app tells me to make a turn, it sends the command to my car's speakers via bluetooth. That's great and all but the problem is that by the time the command is sent to the speakers, I miss like 95% of the command. For example, if the command is "Turn right ahead onto Main Street", all I hear is "Street".

I guess what's happening is that the app is announcing the command but the audio is getting lost during the process of being sent to my car's speakers. It's useless to the point where I actually had to turn off the voice portion of the app. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Anyone else experiencing this?

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I love that by Apple playing hardball, we now get choice. Otherwise, we would've been stuck with no turn-by-turns, etc.

Haven't installed yet, but then I'd had no need, as Maps has worked for me thus far (and I rarely need turn-by-turn) on the fly.

I usually Google directions first and see where I need to go before I jump in the car..

Better to have and not need than to need and not have. :)

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
And here's a little bit of humor from Andy Ihnatko:

"The jury’s still out on the whole Mayan Calendar Rollover bug, but you can now rest assured that good old Google Maps, the service that powered the iPhone’s Maps app from the debut of the device through this summer, is now back on your favorite phone."

"I can only imagine what a load I’ve just lifted off your mind. I mean, what if the world ends, and instead of being led to the safety of the Cavern of Tears near the Lake of Fire, where the righteous will gather to await salvation, iOS 6 Maps misdirected you to the Old Country Buffet in Pittsfield, Massachusetts? Their mac and cheese may be to die for, but for an entree good enough to risk dying in a state of perpetual woe, you’d probably prefer to visit Sarita’s Macaroni & Cheese in the East Village."

http://www.suntimes.com/business/16...le-maps-is-back-on-iphone-thank-goodness.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.