Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm glad I can look some things up when I'm on a call (especially when I'm suppose to know something, but I don't).

Would I miss it if it were gone? Yes, sometimes I'm on Edge only and I realize how useful it is.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I use it quite a bit, especially when looking up order numbers while on the phone or on hold to surf the internet. Also, I use it sometimes when tethering...it would be annoying to lose connectivity to my laptop when I got a phone call.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.

Only very rarely. AT&T has enough trouble trying to keep the voice call going without disconnecting, much less adding in data. Don't push your luck! ;-)

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Only very rarely. AT&T has enough trouble trying to keep the voice call going without disconnecting, much less adding in data. Don't push your luck! ;-)
Not an issue I have. I have great call quality. Folks complained about me sounding tin-y when I was briefly on Verizon. You go ahead and enjoy Verizon though.

Reaper0bot0

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
I have a nano to micro sim adapter. As such, I can reactivate my Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus (or my Thunderbolt, I suppose) in lieu of my iPhone 5 as I like. I do this some days. When I do, and I've got the ability to do simultaneous voice and data over 4G (and over 3G on the 'Bolt and the S3, not the Nexus) I *do* use the feature. Not a ton, but I do.

It baffles me that by switching to an iPhone 5 I went *backwards* relative to my Thunderbolt on this issue, let alone my S3.

I obviously don't get to use this ability on my iPhone 5. Boggles the mind. First LTE device I've ever heard of that doesn't support SV-LTE.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.
OK so how about don't tell anyone about it...then when they go to try it they find out they can't do it. how happy is the customer going to be then? What it's almost 2013 and i can't be on the phone and surf the web to find a phone number to tell my friend? Again, it's almost 2013 for crying out loud!

It may seem like a small feature, but for some it could be huge! I use it several times a week and don't even think about it. I couldn't imagine having verizon and telling people i'd have to call them back after i research the number for them. lame!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Sounds like someone is a bit grumpy that they can't talk and surf...And just wants others to agree with him so he doesn't feel so bad.

Truthfully, it's a very big feature when u need it.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I surf and talk occasionally however in the UK we don't CDMA version of iphones, so we don't have this problem, of not being able to surf while talking.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
I surf and talk all the time. Often when someone asks for something that's on the web or stuck in an email somewhere.

I don't get why this frustrates the OP so much. I mean sure if you don't use it, its useless. But that's the same for any feature.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
All the time. It's a big deal!. People who do it know how useful it is. I can't tell you how many times somebody will ask me something and I look it up while I'm in the phone with them.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I don't use the phone alot so barely ever. I have Verizon so I can only do it on Wifi, and that is not often. The only time I need to surf and talk is when I call a company or customer service, and need to pull up an account number or order number....in which case I get that info before the call, so I'm ready. No big inconvenience considering I'm 100% satisfied with VZW.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You're asking this question as if this is the only time you will use voice and data at the same time. You cannot receive call while you're watching a Youtube video either on Verizon. Or while you're looking up a map when data is constantly being pull, not just surf and talk.

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
It's a useful feature and I believe it really depends on the person. I don't have this feature and I haven't came across a time where I wish I had it. So I'm not missing out on anything.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
It's kinda like carrying a handgun for self-defense: it's not so much about how often you'll need it, it's how much you'll need it when you do.

I'm about to get an iPhone 5, and the ONLY reason I'm not switching away from Verizon over the issue is, as an iOS app developer, I need to test how my app will react to having the data stream screwed up when taking/making a simultaneous call.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
Add me to the list of "all the timers"

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned calls going straight to vm because you are using data - does that happen on the iPhone with Verizon or Sprint?

That would be even more of a deal-breaker.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
You cannot receive call while you're watching a Youtube video either on Verizon. Or while you're looking up a map when data is constantly being pull, not just surf and talk.

To clarify: do you mean it can't at least notify you that a call is incoming? If you're using an app does it just go straight to voicemail?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.