Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have a 7 year old Linksys router that my friend who works for the cable company said is going to slow down or not let me get the most out of my new faster connection. What type/model router should I get? Thanks!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have a 7 year old Linksys router that my friend who works for the cable company said is going to slow down or not let me get the most out of my new faster connection. What type/model router should I get? Thanks!

Any router made in the last 10 years will handle a 5Mbps connection with no problem.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
I'm using a 7 year old Linksys at my office and get the full 10Mbps of my line..

5Mbps is not "new fast wifi".. it's pretty standard. I have 35Mbps at home and that's one of the slowest packages available for me. The fastest is 150Mbps.

Basically.. you'll be fine with what you've got but if you're having problems then just get the cheapest Linksys or D-Link router at your local shop.

TOOFY

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Long Awhlandddd, NY

Where are you located that you had to upgrade to 5mbps? Jeez thats terribly slow. I am in Long Island, NY and we have 60/40 bundle.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
^+2.

It you itching to upgrade anyways, any 802.11n 600-class with QOS should do nicely.

But when I real all the horror stories, the best router is the one you got and is doing its job. As said, any purchased last 10 year fine. Get a 50 megabit fiber Internet then ask us again.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
What about a NetGear WGR614v9?

My so called ComCast is 20mb/s and I don't even get more than 1.5mb down.

acidflame

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012
Yea any wireless G router will handle that. I would honestly just go buy your standard wireless n router at wallyworld for 30 or so bucks.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I just upgraded about a month ago (went from AT&T DSL to a local company here in NW Ohio) and went from 6 mbps to 25 mbps. This is now a cable modem and I obviously have WiFi. It's not that I'm not happy as I seem to get pretty good speeds on WiFi (usually 10-20 mbps) but I do notice that my "bars" go down in my upstairs bedroom which is on the opposite end of the house as my router.

Are there any settings I can use to improve anything? I'm not sure of the specifics of the router as I'm at work, but it's was provided by the Cable/Internet company I am now with.

Thanks.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
5mbs??? You'll be more than fine with a 7 year old router, if you're that worried pick up a new linksys router for $50 or less.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I just upgraded about a month ago (went from AT&T DSL to a local company here in NW Ohio) and went from 6 mbps to 25 mbps. This is now a cable modem and I obviously have WiFi. It's not that I'm not happy as I seem to get pretty good speeds on WiFi (usually 10-20 mbps) but I do notice that my "bars" go down in my upstairs bedroom which is on the opposite end of the house as my router.

Are there any settings I can use to improve anything? I'm not sure of the specifics of the router as I'm at work, but it's was provided by the Cable/Internet company I am now with.

Thanks.

The wifi routers provided by internet companies are usually just budget low end models and there is not much you can do to improve them. If you want good performance and range, there is a big difference between the cheap ones given to you and the top notch ones. The best of the best wifi routers have 3 large replacable external antennaes with adjustable power throughput for increased range and increased sensitivity for reception.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks.

Science in real life!!! Either get an extender or physically move the router closer, the signal is getting blocked by walls, whatever you have in the walls, and general distance.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Science in real life!!! Either get an extender or physically move the router closer, the signal is getting blocked by walls, whatever you have in the walls, and general distance.

I obviously understand that it's going to happen, but I was just curious because I live in a neighborhood where I get a stronger signal from a house that is literally 200 feet away. Plus, in some other threads there were people talking about changing settings to get a better signal, etc.

Its not like my WiFI doesn't work in that particular room, again, I was just asking if I could make it "better". That's all.

Last edited:

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I obviously understand that it's going to happen, but I was just curious because I live and a neighborhood where I get a stronger signal from a house that is literally 200 feet away. Plus, in some other threads there were people talking about changing settings to get a better signal, etc.

Its not like my WiFI doesn't work in that particular room, again, I was just asking if I could make it "better". That's all.

I'd just try moving the router might be some unknown electronic nearby causing interference?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I obviously understand that it's going to happen, but I was just curious because I live and a neighborhood where I get a stronger signal from a house that is literally 200 feet away. Plus, in some other threads there were people talking about changing settings to get a better signal, etc.

You could go knock on the door of the house with the really strong wifi signal and ask them to turn down the power.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
I obviously understand that it's going to happen, but I was just curious because I live in a neighborhood where I get a stronger signal from a house that is literally 200 feet away. Plus, in some other threads there were people talking about changing settings to get a better signal, etc.

Some routers allow you to adjust the transmit power, my Asus came set to an 80 mw default. I upped it to 150, am getting better signal in the marginal areas in and around my house. Some say boosting the tx power doesn't matter, in my case it did.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Some routers allow you to adjust the transmit power, my Asus came set to an 80 mw default. I upped it to 150, am getting better signal in the marginal areas in and around my house. Some say boosting the tx power doesn't matter, in my case it did.

Only 150? Mine is set to 250.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Will that speed up my wifi at all?

Maybe. If your old router is a 802.11b one then you will definitely get better throughput with a new router with your new connection. If your old router is a 802.11g one, don't bother buying anything.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Will that speed up my wifi at all?

A faster WIFI router will speed up the devices INSIDE YOUR HOUSE talking to each other but WILL NOT speed up Internet.

Is like this: You home town got wide boulevards, 10 lanes roads, but the only one highway leading you outside the town is only a single lane. Now you ask if I widen my town's roads to 20 lanes will it gets me faster out of town? NO. But it will get you faster to your neighbor 3 blocks away. WIFI stays inside your house, it doesn't "get out."

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
That's one lousy cable company. At that speed, they should not be charging you more than $5 a month for internet.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Maybe. If your old router is a 802.11b one then you will definitely get better throughput with a new router with your new connection. If your old router is a 802.11g one, don't bother buying anything.

I have the Linksys WRT54G. How do I find out if it's 802.11b or g?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I have the Linksys WRT54G. How do I find out if it's 802.11b or g?

The WRT54G is a 802.11g router, hence the G in both names. There is no need to buy another router as it is rated for a theoretical 54 mbps throughput with a more real world throughput of 25 mbps. It is faster than what your Internet connection can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.