Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
itunes is now based heavily on organization, when will they allow to correct meta data with ituns match!?

That depends on what you mean by "correct".

The same identical song can be on multiple albums. Quite common is a US album and a UK album; 12 songs identical, plus one more added which is different. These albums can have different album art. Very common is having a song on some album, and on one or more "best of... " albums. There is more than one "correct" set of metadata for each song.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
It appears that this update fixed the disconnect home sharing upon sleep bug. This was the most irritating issue for me. Good news for the Apple TV users especially.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Column browser not able to be enabled with the sidebar hidden is fixed.
Still no option for column browser on the left, reporting that one again.
Can't sort iTunes store search results, that absolutely needs fixing.

Overall, some nice fixes but still some things that need updating. I think the fact that it's .0.1 instead of just .1 shows they're anticipating more bugfix releases than usual.

I think i encountered a good bug after updating to version 11. My iTunes Match supposedly ran out a year after it started, yet, it has not stopped working on any of my devices. Whenever i add a song to my iTunes, it still gets uploaded to the cloud and i can play it on my phone or Apple tv.

Might just be me or i could be wrong.
----
Just checked my iTunes account and it does say that my iTunes match is expired. Not even going to complain since it still works!

Same here, has it been shut off for anyone?

someone doesn't like quality....

For me the quality has been much better than any version of iTunes I can recall.

They made changes wholesale to the search script, forcing users to change metadata or the way we search.

Fortunately, you can get the old search back. Click on the magnifying glass on the left side of the search box and deselect "search entire library".

Adding features would be change for the better.

While some things are broken and removed, they did add features. And for me performance is much better.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Someone doesn't like change...

Especially when that change is *****.
I hate the direction Apple is going with this. They removed the scrolling in the app list and movie list so now I have to scroll down the page to get to the show/season I want then scroll all the way back up to get the first few episodes. Where is the logic in that? :rolleyes:

----------

someone doesn't like quality....

LMAO 100% there. :D

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I still don't understand why we can't do anything while updating song info... Please upgrade the backend of this app already.

Amen to that, still seems like the app isn't multithreaded, too many beach balls.

That depends on what you mean by "correct".

The same identical song can be on multiple albums. Quite common is a US album and a UK album; 12 songs identical, plus one more added which is different. These albums can have different album art. Very common is having a song on some album, and on one or more "best of... " albums. There is more than one "correct" set of metadata for each song.

They could still include the feature, they'd just need to ask the user to choose which metadata. At the very least they should be able to provide the option to get better metadata when it's completely wrong or completely missing.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
One of the biggest issues for me (and this has been the case with pretty much all editions of iTunes), is that iTunes is basically useless to work in when you are loading in a CD. I have been loading CDs into iTunes on to an external HD for years now asmy CD collection in in the thousands. But if you want to go through your artists or song list and make changes (for instance I am upgrading any MP3 or ACC all to lossless) I can hardly do any work at the same time a CD is loading in. The ball spins, drag down delays. Names jump back to A artists when I'm trying to view an ams down the artist alpha list.

Almost seems like a memory thing on the back end but I have a pretty new mac with plenty of memory and I never have any other programs opened.

Bottom line if you want to manage your library (change names, delete duplicates, pretty much anything else), you can hardly do at the same time CDs are loading. Doesn't seem right.

I know this is a long winded comment but anyone else experience this?

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Itunes tells me there is an update for iTunes, which I ask to download, then opens up App Store which tells me "no updates available".

In fact, Software Update / App Store never seems to find any available updates for my 2012 Mac Mini.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Unless Eddy Cue is trying to right my wrong taste in music, I wonder why "Justin Bieber" doesn't register in the dynamic search when searched for in 11.0.1. LOL, it's as if they actively chose to hide his music from my search.

Bieber

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I cannot get over how much I love the new iTunes logo.

Same here. It's amazing how much changing the music note from black to white/silver helped. I even made a version for Flash CS6:

flashcs6icon.png

willbfree

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Artist name is now displayed in Music > Videos

11.0.1 has fixed an oversight in which the Artist name was not displayed in Music > Videos.

11.0.0 displayed only a still from the video and the title of the video, without the Artist name. For those who have dozens of music videos, this was obviously a problem.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
iTunes/iPhoto/etc should all have NAS support. I really want to store my library on a remote drive instead of on my computer.

I've done this for years, both iTunes and iPhoto. From my experiences, for iTunes, it operates very well from a NAS if you put the itunes media folder on the NAS and keep the library files on the local machine.

I will admit, since iPhoto converted to a container file its possible but not quick to open/close a large library from a NAS. Once opened, it typically runs well.

craigmcclellan

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
This update to the new iTunes addresses an issue where new purchases in iCloud may not appear in your library if iTunes Match is turned on.

Am I the only one this is not fixed for? I have done the 11.0.1 update, just bought a new album, and it isn't showing up in my library. I can search for the album, and add to up next to play, but it's not anywhere in the actual library.

Anyone?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
See the article video How to move an iTunes library to an external drive.

For iPhoto read the article Move iPhoto Library to an External Hard Drive.

WARNIG: Make sure you BACKUP the externals since your media is on that external. Just in case in the future somethings dies in that external!

Of course, you're making backups anyway just in case something dies on the internal!

Spinning hard drives and solid state hard drives *will* fail - it's not a matter of *might* fail.

Keep at least three backups - one of them off-site in case the "failure" is a home fire or theft.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I have just updated to 11.0.1, and with crossfade playback turned on it still won't update playcounts - which I rely on as my collection is organised to beyond anal levels, and I like to track when I've played stuff, also when I'm browsing my playlists to create an 'on the fly' list, it still no longer remembers where in that playlist you were browsing, it just defaults back to the top, which is annoying.

Other than this I'm reasonably happy with v11 being a long time itunes user. Having said that I've got the search function and the sidebar etc setup like 10.7 as I use list view only.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Another (possible) bug?

This one is relatively obscure, I guess, but sure was annoying me the last couple days!

If you click to "Get Info" on a track in your music collection and click the "Artwork" tab, you can drag and drop over an image file for iTunes to imbed into the MP3 track.

Well, the way iTunes has long functioned, you really only need the cover art to be embedded in ONE of the tracks in a given album for it to automatically display the art with the album. BUT, other MP3 music playing software out there often doesn't do the same. (EG. One of my car stereos only displays art that's embedded into the current song it's playing, if you copy songs over to a USB stick and play from it in the car.)

So ... I'm in the habit of making sure I add artwork into ALL of my songs.

This is where we get to the bug I think I found. It seems like the first time I go to this "Artwork" tab to add an image, I see "Next" and "Previous" buttons on the screen. Makes it really easy to click from track to track and keep adding the image to all of them. But if I close out of that screen and go back to it from some other track in my collection? Now the "Next" and "Previous" buttons are gone!

Anyone else notice this one?!

CodexMonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
This one is relatively obscure, I guess, but sure was annoying me the last couple days!

If you click to "Get Info" on a track in your music collection and click the "Artwork" tab, you can drag and drop over an image file for iTunes to imbed into the MP3 track.

Well, the way iTunes has long functioned, you really only need the cover art to be embedded in ONE of the tracks in a given album for it to automatically display the art with the album. BUT, other MP3 music playing software out there often doesn't do the same. (EG. One of my car stereos only displays art that's embedded into the current song it's playing, if you copy songs over to a USB stick and play from it in the car.)

This is where we get to the bug I think I found. It seems like the first time I go to this "Artwork" tab to add an image, I see "Next" and "Previous" buttons on the screen. Makes it really easy to click from track to track and keep adding the image to all of them. But if I close out of that screen and go back to it from some other track in my collection? Now the "Next" and "Previous" buttons are gone!

I too have noticed the lack of Previous/Next and I find it very frustrating. Artwork is not a problem (see below) but other things like adding track numbers or correcting badly imported apostrophes or capitals really need Previous/Next.

As for artwork, are you aware that you can shift-click multiple items and add the artwork to them all in one swoop. Just leave all the other things untouched (track name etc.) and they won’t be altered. By the same token, shift-clicking multiple items and "ticking" an empty box, say the "comments" box, will "empty" that box for all tracks.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

It seems to me that they are missing if I select multiple items, but there if I select a single item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.