Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Dont worry so much about scratching the back as dropping it even a short distance and smashing the screen which id what happened to mind EVEN in a well protected leather case. The screen is VERY THIN.
Mine slipped out of my hand while I was walking. It went flying a good three feet into a wall, took some paint off the wall and landed on the floor. Screen is just fine. No nicks either, not even after I rubbed the paint off it. In total I've dropped it three times. Another user here fell on his and bent it. Screen survived just fine.

From our anecdotes it's invincible, from your anecdote it breaks if you as much as breathe on it. The reality is probably that the thinner glass doesn't make it any more fragile than a normal iPad or an iPhone. The screen on both of those can crack just from it sliding off the couch onto the floor. It's just a matter of luck.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I went with ghost armor front and back and use the smart cover. Scratches are bound to happen with usage so adding a level of protection will allow my mini to be scratch free

Ghost Armor mine as well. iPhone 4,5 and iPads 1,2,3. All like new with Ghost Armor.

OP it's really worth the drive to have it put on. I would keep your mini in the case you already have until you can drive to an instal place in a larger town.

slch

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I carry my iPad mini where I go and it is naked (except the smart cover covering the front). So far no nicks, no scratches, no dents. It is like as if it just came out of the box.

+1

Naked in my suitcase with other stuff (protected MBA, papers, folders...) and looks perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.