Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox has updated its iOS app with a new photo browsing experience, a "shiny new design", and a streamlined way to upload files directly to a particular folder.

dropbox2.jpg
The new photos experience is the biggest change, however:
Now all of your photos are right at your fingertips with the brand new Photos tab. With just a tap, you'll be able to scroll through a timeline of all the photos you've automatically uploaded (including the pocket-dialed ones too). And since Dropbox is a one stop shop for all your memories, you can also check out the photos you've uploaded from everywhere else!

Also, when you select a photo, you'll be able to view it in full-screen glory with nary a button in sight. This means you can get maximum real estate when you're flipping through puppy photos, or those pics of your bare feet. And to make things even better, our new speedy scroller will help you navigate all the way back to time immemorial (or your earliest photos) in seconds. Even if you have "Billions and Billions" of them.
Dropbox for iOS is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox Updates iOS App With New Photos Experience and a "Shiny New Design"

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Its nice but is it just me or is the top right tick icon a weird design choice to move or delete a file or folder.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
love the new UI looks very polished and clean. kinda reminds me of an google designed application

Yup

I wish there was a way to download more than one picture to the camera roll at one time.

Select the photos you want > save to camera roll

Hopefully this will come soon

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
It's interesting they no longer use the iOS toolbar and tab selector. It has a more Android look now. Is this another sign iOS needs a major revamp?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Man I love this app.

Yes, I was hoping for a multiple save to camera roll feature too...sigh.

----------

All these new apps updates are looking gorgeous. Dropbox, Google Maps, Rdio, Gmail, 1Password, Evernote, Youtube, and even Facebook - lol.

2013 were are going to see some beautiful apps. Finally the bar is raising. Now Google Maps just needs change that ridiculous icon.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Looks great. This is how I password protect my pictures on my non jailbreak phone...upload them to DropBox, then delete off my phone. :)

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
Its nice but is it just me or is the top right tick icon a weird design choice to move or delete a file or folder.

Yeah. It's a bit weird. It doesn't indicate "Edit" or Change or whatever to me visually. I'd no idea what it did until I tried it.
Maybe someone else can explain the UI design decision behind it. Strange.

Apart from that it is a beautifully designed app and a very useful one that has become an essential part of my work.

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Interesting. An android-like interface and an auto-uploader for photos, but no way to rename files or select folders for offline viewing or see previous versions of files. Weird.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Interesting. An android-like interface and an auto-uploader for photos, but no way to rename files or select folders for offline viewing or see previous versions of files. Weird.

I agree, I have been waiting a long time for folder to be offline but alas it seems all online places nowadays care only about your pictures uploads.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
It's interesting they no longer use the iOS toolbar and tab selector. It has a more Android look now. Is this another sign iOS needs a major revamp?

No matter what the base design is - designers will always try to stand out, and managers will always try to enforce their corporate identity on all platforms.

Curious that with all the focus on photos, it's still not possible to favorite a complete folder and have your photos with you on the go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.