Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Called my local walmart... still $189 for the 5's and they didnt even have them for AT&T.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
wow.. discounts already? i've never seen this before with apple. could be bad times for apple since in-demand products never go on sale.

It's Walmart. If it was AT&T, Verizon or the Apple Store then maybe i'd be worried. Heck at my closest Walmart they aren't even selling the iPhone in store.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Iphone 5 has been on sale multiple times since november her in canada for $79 for a 16gb (on contract) and ipad 4s have been having price reductions of $30 every week it seems... $100 off is crazy but i bet there is going to be some surprised people (you readers) come sales numbers regarding ipads and android tablets. As far as I can see the ipad minis are flying off the shelves along with android tablets (nexus 7s). Ipad 4s have not been moving at all here this is apple scrambling trying to move the inventory. Boxing day sales will be simular i bet.

I keep seeing the Nexus 7 for around 270$CAD in most places but the Galaxy Tab 2 is on sale at 150$CAD starting tomorrow at Staples.

alexcsm

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Current T-Mobile user here. Just purchased unlocked 16gb iPhone 5 for $650 last week.

Would it be worth considering purchasing Walmart iPhone 5 $127 and initiating ETF ($350ish?). Even with application fees and one-month payment, worse case would be around $527ish..

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
well if they just cut component orders it probably means they are expecting to make/sell less product than they planned last week or a few weeks ago when they first put the orders in?

When did Apple say they cut component orders? I can't believe their suppliers would be that chatty with a Wall Street analyst.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh I guess the iPhone 5 must not be selling well if WalMart has to discount it :rolleyes:

/end sarcastic mocking of some posters logic when discussing Samsung's Galaxy series, etc

Defactomonkey

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
Boston, MA
If you hate walmart print out the ad and take it to the apple store they match in store promotions on apple products. I know this cause I worked there for a year and though we didn't publicize it we would take the discount off when people asked.

ConnaZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Was this kind of sale on iPhone and iPad prevalent during last Christmas?

Is this a loss leader to bring people to the stores or heaven forbid, these are not selling as well as forecast-ed?

That is what I am trying to figure out.

I think your right, ive never seen sales like this for apple.
Im am a huge apple fan..i own almost 1 of everything between myself, fiance and daughter, it does kill me to say it, but android is really gonna move ahead this quarter, im sure apple will have insane profits, but people are just getting bored with ios and fed up with the prices (not enough to hurt apples bottom line...yet) but market share. I gave in and bought a nexus 7 the other day becuase i wanted to try something more portable then my ipad and could not justify the price of the mini. Im amazed i never got it sooner (the speed, google now, and tegra apps are nuts) Im not abandoning apple yet, but ios 7 better be a complete rehaul (allow customizations!!) and app restirctions better be loosened the same time (Allow emulators, torrent clients or even a apple made file system explorer that allows external storage or even something like a legit cydia store to host these apps) or apple will be in for a huge wake up call this time next year! Gotta keep people interested and not the same old stuff with new internals :/
Side note... Every carrier here has had samsung galaxy and note 2 for free on contract on and off for months and barely even mention apple when you are in store or on advertisments, same with anywheres that sells tablets, im seeing line ups at android tablets and the apple bars sitting empy (although the apple store is still booming) but it was never like this in previous years...

----------

I keep seeing the Nexus 7 for around 270$CAD in most places but the Galaxy Tab 2 is on sale at 150$CAD starting tomorrow at Staples.

I just bought a nexus 7 for $259.99 at future shop last week (32gb). If you go to order from google for the cheaper price... They charge like $25ish for shipping and exchange so its the same price to buy in store. As for the galaxy for $150... It suckkkkks i tried it, cheap feeling and the processor is garbage compared to the nexus (slow) and the nexus gets updates immediatley, the galaxy is like 3 updates behind it. Only advantage is the back camera ( not really needed and sd slot ). Just try both and you will understand the difference.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Oh I guess the iPhone 5 must not be selling well if WalMart has to discount it :rolleyes:

/end sarcastic mocking of some posters logic when discussing Samsung's Galaxy series, etc
Galaxy S3 16GB $49 to $79 on Amazon
Note 2 $149 to $199
Your only mocking yourself:cool:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i was able to shrug off the large jump in processing power that occurred between ipad 3 and 4, and the fact that it happened with a faster than usual turn around, but now that the 4 can be had at significant discount on top of it all... i'm really starting to feel like the ipad 3 was the wrong time to buy.

don't get me wrong, i like the iPad, and i'm happy with what it can do, but based on apple's ios history, the faster their hardware capability advances, the faster software updates will become either incompatible or will run terribly on existing devices. meaning i might not even want to put ios7 on the thing for fear of how it'll run. :(

hitmantb

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
Apple stock even at $500 is worth more than Google/Microsoft combined. It is got a lot of room to fall once Apple loses the ability to command a premium.

I don't believe Android products are better (except the huge screen factor, Apple is too stubborn and a lot of us switched away from iPhone for screen size issue alone), but with the price of Nexus 4/7, Google is forcing everyone to lower prices to compete. The difference is Google doesn't need profit on hardware to win, once Apple loses the profit margin they will get wrecked.

Sorry Apple fans I really believe Apple stock value will be very similar to Google/Microsoft three years from now, and that is a 50% drop vs the current valuations . . .

ConnaZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Galaxy S3 16GB $49 to $79 on Amazon
Note 2 $149 to $199
Your only mocking yourself:cool:

Iphone 5 is definitely selling good, the discount is due to a quick refresh coming i bet (5s), everytime stores discount the 5 it means a refresh is due about 3 months later

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
The discount offered is nothing when you take into account the total that will need to be paid over the two-years contract.

Let's try to keep the apple with apple, and orange with orange comparison here. According to your logic, I can say why not just get a $10 nokia phone when you are out and use Skype for $10/month when you have wifi. There are always cheaper options out there, but here I believe most people are comparing subsidized price.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
And I just ordered an 3rd gen refurb iPad 32 GB for $499.00 from Apple last night... Grrrrrrrrrr

ConnaZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Apple stock even at $500 is worth more than Google/Microsoft combined. It is got a lot of room to fall once Apple loses the ability to command a premium.

I don't believe Android products are better (except the huge screen factor, Apple is too stubborn and a lot of us switched away from iPhone for screen size issue alone), but with the price of Nexus 4/7, Google is forcing everyone to lower prices to compete. The difference is Google doesn't need profit on hardware to win, once Apple loses the profit margin they will get wrecked.

Sorry Apple fans I really believe Apple stock value will be very similar to Google/Microsoft three years from now, and that is a 50% drop vs the current valuations . . .

Exactly!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The discount offered is nothing when you take into account the total that will need to be paid over the two-years contract.

11% of a $650 is NOT negligible. I wish they had the unlocked version with this discount too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.