Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
maybe a silly question regarding the Photostream as well as Dropbox actually but are those pictures uploaded to the "cloud" still stored on the device or are they loaded from the web when i click on them? like are those pictures takin up space? cuz i dont really need the same picture stored on 3 different locations on the same device

thx

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
maybe a silly question regarding the Photostream as well as Dropbox actually but are those pictures uploaded to the "cloud" still stored on the device or are they loaded from the web when i click on them? like are those pictures takin up space? cuz i dont really need the same picture stored on 3 different locations on the same device

thx

Yup, and you can see how much space they're taking up. Go to:

Settings > General > Usage > Photos & Camera

Mine currently shows the following:

Camera Roll - 2.2 GB
Photo Library - 0 bytes
Photo Stream - 825 MB

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
Yup, and you can see how much space they're taking up. Go to:

Settings > General > Usage > Photos & Camera

Mine currently shows the following:

Camera Roll - 2.2 GB
Photo Library - 0 bytes
Photo Stream - 825 MB

I find it kind off annoying that all my photos are duplicated and taking up twice the amount of space...

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I find it kind off annoying that all my photos are duplicated and taking up twice the amount of space...

They're likely not taking up twice the amount of space, though I suppose it's possible.

Looking at my numbers above, they break down like this:

Camera Roll - 2.2 GB (461 Photos, 20 Videos)
Photo Library - 0 bytes (N/A)
Photo Stream - 825 MB (996 Photos)

I also have 9 Shared Photo Streams that I've shared out to others. Those total another 476 photos although I'm not sure how they're counted against capacity.

I don't think the videos are particularly long and most of them are via the front-facing camera.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
thought so and thats kinda annoying, why cant i just access them from the cloud when i need to view them. its not like we arent connected to the internet 24/7 in 2012

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.