Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Is Skeumorphic design that is the problem or bad design that just happens to be Skeumorphic?

You wouldn't want bad non-skeumorphic design either right?

Also curious do you want Finder on your iOS device?
Sure Finder was a great thing 20years ago but in many ways it's also the most anachronistic skeumorphic design idea possible.

To me bad design is bad design, and good design is good design. Skeumorhpic or otherwise. There are many instances in iOS of bad or dated very quickly design that really could be overhauled, but i wouldn't rule out a particular design track because it was over used by people who didn't know better.

How is finder skeumorphic? Because it has folder icons? Finders real life equivalent would be a file cabinet, of which it doesn't resemble at all.

I'm not trying to nit pick, you just sound like your thinking of another app. By the way, Finder in iOS would be welcomed by many!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
How is finder skeumorphic? Because it has folder icons? Finders real life equivalent would be a file cabinet, of which it doesn't resemble at all.

I'm not trying to nit pick, you just sound like your thinking of another app. By the way, Finder in iOS would be welcomed by many!

How is finder not Skeumorphic?
Almost everything about finder is skeumorphic. Nothing about how finder works relates to how the computer handles blobs of data. The whole thing is layers of human centric references to how we use to do stuff with paper. Yes the graphic follow the design of the system.

Funny you say Filing Cabinet. From memory the graphical OS for the ][gs did use a filing cabinet and I think the Amiga did as well.

It's not all bad but it certainly all Skeumorphic. Do get me wrong i Love paper but find it odd the things paper still does better are widly ignored or down right dismissed by tech people (CAD/BIM Background). While things that always sucked about paper are held on to.

Do you really want finder or do you want functions that finder now handles?
I want the function it allows but I want it more in way that says we now get the whole computering thing.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Photo filters.
Have the ability to hide default apps.
Short-cuts.
Live tiles.
A 'Kill All' in Notification Center.

I'd be very happy if Apple implemented all these features.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
How is finder not Skeumorphic?
Almost everything about finder is skeumorphic. Nothing about how finder works relates to how the computer handles blobs of data. The whole thing is layers of human centric references to how we use to do stuff with paper. Yes the graphic follow the design of the system.

Funny you say Filing Cabinet. From memory the graphical OS for the ][gs did use a filing cabinet and I think the Amiga did as well.

It's not all bad but it certainly all Skeumorphic. Do get me wrong i Love paper but find it odd the things paper still does better are widly ignored or down right dismissed by tech people (CAD/BIM Background). While things that always sucked about paper are held on to.

Do you really want finder or do you want functions that finder now handles?
I want the function it allows but I want it more in way that says we now get the whole computering thing.

I get what you're saying, but I'm referring to the way skeumorphic designs in Mac OS and iOS have resembled their physical counterparts. As I mentioned, the single most similar object to Finder in real life would be a file cabinet. Unlike how Calendar mimics a real leather bound calendar or how the Notes app mimics a yellow pad of lines paper, Finder does not contain textures, colors, or designs meant to mimic real life counterparts. The only exception would be the use of file folder as folder icons.

If Finder is to be interpreted as skeumorphic because of the way it handles data, then the whole OS would be as well. Again, Finder does not have elements of "paper" design, or a window border resembling a metal file cabinet. It is monochromatic and a fine example of how well the OS can look without an ubsession with skeumorphism.

Edit: I do want Finder. But I understand that iOS does not need it. I do however feel the a central repository for documents (PDF,doc, pages, etc) similar to the photo app would be quite helpful. It would also likely mean that users could add/remove document files via the CCK, much like they can photos. Sure hope iOS 7 brings some of these functional changes which many of us will benefit from.

Last edited:

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Well, I've seen a ton of ones I'd like and only got through 3 pages before I decided to post.

1. Voice over data to other iOS devices (similar to iMessages)

That's it. It'd help me cut down my minutes at least by half. Then I could jump all over the $30 100 Minute Unlimited (First 5GB @ 4G) T-Mobile plan!

Ram27

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
I really hope Music.app will be updated to reflect features in iTunes 11.

Play next would be amazing. Also if they changed the shuffle button to blue.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Well, I've seen a ton of ones I'd like and only got through 3 pages before I decided to post.

1. Voice over data to other iOS devices (similar to iMessages)

That's it. It'd help me cut down my minutes at least by half. Then I could jump all over the $30 100 Minute Unlimited (First 5GB @ 4G) T-Mobile plan!

technically, that's facetime over 3G with the video option turned off. ;)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Doubtful these will all be in iOS 7...

- New UI (updated lock screen, live icons, updated icons, less skeumorphism)

- Better Multitasking (Multi-touch gestures, Mission Control, kill all)

- Notification Center (New widgets, syncing, clear all)

- FaceTime (Group Chat with up to 4 people)

- Notes (bullets, list, rich text, folders, tags, photos, attachments)

- Photos (filters, better album management)

- Camera (Timer and Burst mode)

- Safari (Search field for both addresses and search terms, full-screen portrait)

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I wish they would sort out the tethering side at the moment i'am unable tether at the moment because of the latest update.Which is really annoying because i'am unable to use my iPad mini when i go out places because bluetooth tethering doesn't work at the moment.I have a unlimited data plan on my phone and at the moment i'am unable to use it at the moment because it not working correct.I just wish now that i never updated then i wouldn't have this problem at all

Make it better when connected to bluetooth so that it doesn't just eat your battery when have bluetooth headphones.

I use bluetooth all the time but the time that it last is nothing i can use bluetooth for about 3 hours then my phone would need a full recharge

Another thing that needs to be sorted out is location services that thing eat your battery.

Bluetooth tethering & location Service are the worst thing to eat your battery and streaming radio over 3G

I couldn't go out for a full day with out a external power source to keep my phone charged up so that i could get through the day.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
My wishlist:

• Ability to set default apps (Chrome instead of Safari, Google Maps, etc.)

• Putting shortcuts on the screen (i.e. a shortcut to cellular settings)

• Blank spaces when I input/save phone numbers (outside the US people have phones too nowadays)

• Ability to remove unwanted apps (Newsstand, hello?)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When my phone is in landscape, I would like the multitasking bar to appear at the bottom, rather than to the side.

So to echo one more...

1) New multitasking gestures (swipe up to bring multitasking bar, swipe left/right to switch to previous/next app)

2) Finder/bluetooth/wifi/airplane/airplay/tethering available from notifications, option to reply to notification straight from bar (like how you post to facebook)

3) Safari (swipe to next tab, tap to scroll to bottom, pull to refresh, unified address/search bar, full-screen portrait)

4) Reworked keyboard (I find the current one takes up way too much vertical screen estate in landscape).

Just a few that come to mind.

kailibur

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Simple things really.

I don't want the springboard to change. I'd like widgets, but I'd prefer those on the notification centre rather than clogging up the springboard.

Open up the notification centre API so that developers can create widgets for the NC.

Better use of the lockscreen, weather widget etc.

Ability to quick reply to messages (in fact, just hire the developer of Messages+ please Apple!)

Quick compose SMS (in the same way as Tap to Tweet and Tap to Post)

Toggles in the notification centre (again, Apple, just hire the guy behind NCToggles)

Other than that, not a great deal really!

wouldnt it be awesome if there was a setting in which the lock screen display depicted the current weather? snowing? snowy background. sunny? sunny background. i think that would be pretty awesome.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I would like a build in PDF convertor, something like in OS-X when you can create a PDF when printing.

(Pages and Numbers already have an option to save as PDF which is great, but it would be nice to convert e-mails, webpages and Office files as well)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Want Siri to be a lot better (take it out of beta) because Google Now is really superior to it.

Siri needs these....

- Translate

- Price Check (Scan this barcode)

- Travel (Weather, Boarding Passes)

- Songs (What’s this song?)

Slopfrog

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
More Siri knowledge... Flights, gas station prices, wind and marine forecasts (does anybody really care about the temperature forecast without knowing what the wind is going to be?) Etc...

but most of all, I want the ability to speak my passcode so I can use my phone safely and effectively while driving.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Introduce gestures and kill off the broken home button. Everything else will be a bonus.

Even if gestures are added to the iPhone, the home button will never be removed. A lot of people don't even realize the gestures are there on the iPad. They're just not as intuitive to novice users as a physical button.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Even if gestures are added to the iPhone, the home button will never be removed. A lot of people don't even realize the gestures are there on the iPad. They're just not as intuitive to novice users as a physical button.

If they made a sleek looking phone without a home button people would still buy it. A couple of simple gestures wouldn't discourage consumers, at least I don't think it would. That being said, I know two 50 yr olds who were just convinced to buy the S3 over the iPhone 5 because the S3 was "easier to use and understand" while the iPhone 5 was "for techies," so I'm sure some might be put off.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I still want subfolders...

Way overdue is to be able to scroll down on a page of folders and also within a folder, so you can have as many apps as your phone can hold. I'd like to have all my work related apps, for example, in one folder.

iOS should have a in house Bump like app, that works better/easier than bump.

The new Panorama feature is good. It should be able to do a complete 360°, like that app, uh, 360°.

The ability to delete apps that come with iOS, like their WEAK weather app.

The ability to choose a desired default app. So if I want a map app besides the one they are forcing on me to give me directions from yelp, I won't have to fumble between apps

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
My top things would be..

Completely redesigned SMS app..
iPod streaming lyrics (like soundhound)
Visual voice mail upgrades
Contact menu updated with pictures
Toggles in notification center
New email app
New way to scroll back through words for editing(circle thing sucks)

The SMS app really need a new theme. It is so ugly right now with all the baby blue and the fisher price bubbles. Its even worse now that the status bar turns blue to match.

A8nCek9CYAA0m0o.png

Fix the ugly settings menus as well. Look how much better the settings menus in android holo theme look. Heres a light settings menu.

nexusae0_Screenshot_2012-09-04-14-37-06.png

Heres a dark one as well.
droid3-ics-settings-phone.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.