Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
Of course Google is winning because Google and its partners are more innovative, while Apple is stalling and barely catching up. I bet if Apple put a blinking LED on the front of the iPhone to blink when you have a missed/text like the Galaxy S3 does, Apple Fanbois would sing and praise Apple and call it groundbreaking.

zenteno86

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Los Angeles
Reality Distortion Field

Eric's own Reality Distortion Field, only this one is more of just a (board as fffffffk gotta say something to stay relevant) Distortion Field.

PS these peps say it best: :cool:

That's like Hyundai bragging about selling more cars than Rolls Royce.....

I'm not saying iOS is a Rolls Royce, but c'mon Eric, be real here.

Chairman of company says company is the best.

In other news, water is wet.

If only they were playing the same game....

Market share =/= winning.

There are some great non-iOS smartphones out there, but just because the 20,000 new Android models keep an edge on the single iPhone model every year, doesn't mean that's the reason for it being the better product.

Same logic could be applied to Windows and OS X.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
AT&T didn't carry any Android phones until a couple of years ago. All they had before that for years was iPhones so of course AT&T would have a skewed demographic of iPhone activations.

:confused: It was 4-5 months after the first Android phone on Verizon Wireless. And, of course, they had many other smartphones before that. I'm not sure what that has to do with the number of activations last quarter.

Renzatic

Suspended
What does that even mean?

By the numbers, Android outsells - it has greater market share.

No amount of wonky "normalization" manipulation can change that fact.

You could just as easily say that the Iphone 5 is the largest selling phone with a 4 inch 1136x640 pixel screen. True that.... But rather meaningless....

There's so many different ways you can measure this. Pure marketshare is nice, but the iPhone's only competition as far as pure profit and numbers sold are the Samsung phones. Even if Android has a larger slice of the OS pie than iOS, the iPhones is still one of the best selling individual phones around. Hell, they eat up 70% of the entire market's profits on the strength of three phones and 3 tablets.

Though marketshare isn't meaningless, contrary to what some people are saying around here. The higher the amount of marketshare something holds, the more visible it is. The more visible something is, the more likely someone will see it, go "hey, that's cool as hell" then buy one for themselves. Apple isn't hurting right now, but they're hardly in an unassailable position here. If they ever start taking their lead for granted, they will eventually lose out to Android and WP.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
:confused: It was 4-5 months after the first Android phone on Verizon Wireless. And, of course, they had many other smartphones before that. I'm not sure what that has to do with the number of activations last quarter.

You really don't see how a group of people conditioned for years by AT&T to buy iPhones would just keep buying iPhones? It's called herd mentality.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You really don't see how a group of people conditioned for years by AT&T to buy iPhones would just keep buying iPhones? It's called herd mentality.

Again, Android debuted on AT&T 4-5 months after Verizon Wireless. That's not a significant difference.

It also ignores that the iPhone activation share on AT&T has continued to grow since Android was introduced.

But we can test the theory over the next year as Verizon Wireless now offers a free iPhone. I'm betting the iPhone is going to be more than 50% of their activations.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
If he is equating the Microsoft Windows vs Mac theory then... you have to wonder after winning the war ... Apple bounced back and its computer shipments are more than PC's.

So will Android eventually start lagging?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Hmm, wouldn't "herd mentality" apply instead to the OS with the majority market share (Android)?

Sheep call others sheep, fail to see the irony.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Again, Android debuted on AT&T 4-5 months after Verizon Wireless. That's not a significant difference.

It also ignores that the iPhone activation share on AT&T has continued to grow since Android was introduced.

But we can test the theory over the next year as Verizon Wireless now offers a free iPhone. I'm betting the iPhone is going to be more than 50% of their activations.

What if you are wrong? Will you switch over to Android if you lose?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Marketshare matters but ultimately - let's cut to the chase - the ecosystem matters most. Because if you can't retain/increase those invested in your ecosystem - you're done.

Apple has a great ecosystem. (They also make a killing on hardware) And had the leg up on competition (Android) from the get-go. But Apple's lead may not last forever given Android's marketshare. Whether you have a cheap free phone or the most expensive - if you invest in an ecosystem, you potentially are a customer for life.

Apple knows this. Amazon knows this. Google knows this. (and others too).

But at the end of the day - while it matters to the stock market - there's enough money and customers to make more than ONE company VERY profitable. And since everyone has a different use case - then it's great that everyone can pick and choose what they want - whether it's a phone, OS, carrier or whatever.

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden
Well for sure. Chevy's sell better that Porsche. Does that mean Chevy is better?

I´d rather have a ZR1 then a GT2/3 so yes, I think it is e.g. I rather have a fast car then a more expensive fast car.

Not only cheaper parts but also better mpg those boxers are thirsty :)

----------

I don't have enough money for Apple products, so I've got an Android. And I absolutely love it, it is the best phone I've ever had, if you ignore the issues... such as:

* SMS message rejected due to lack of space (30MB not enough space for 1 SMS? Can't store on SD-Micro?)
* Many apps don't work due to compatibility issues with my handset.
* Slow interface
* Apps crashing

There's definitely something to be said for having limited models that will 100% support the apps you download / purchase. Too many models, inconsistencies and such is the real killer of android.

Yeah those are phone related issues, not so much Android related. And apps crash on ios too.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Obviously you don't own an iPhone.

What makes you say that? My iPhone 5 had the Wi-Fi trouble, the highest security I could use on my Wi-Fi network was WEP before my iPhone couldn't use Wi-Fi at all.

My iPhone 4S has the battery drain issue.
My iPhone 4 suffered from Antennagate.

Not every iPhone "just works".

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Nope, Android users have choice in what they use.

Keep telling yourself that.

Now hurry back to your Google Mail and Google Maps running on Google Chrome via your ad-funded Google OS.

"Choice." You guys are hilarious.

What makes you say that? My iPhone 5 had the Wi-Fi trouble, the highest security I could use on my Wi-Fi network was WEP before my iPhone couldn't use Wi-Fi at all.

Because I was responding directly to what he said, which was, and I quote:

Yeah, like how the iPhone always has wifi problems needing you to wipe your phone.

The iPhone does not always have wifi problems. I know these problems exist, but I've not personally experienced it in the 5 iPhones we've owned in my family.

Not every iPhone "just works".

Of course not. But he implied all iPhones don't work. Wrong. Just more nonsense from the resident MacRumors Android Propaganda Brigade.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

I could be wrong, but I think the point he was making is that with the iPhone you really you only have 2 choices, which is fine imo.

With Android, you have tons of phones to choose from, cheap, expensive, big screen, small screen, real keyboard, no real keyboard, different versions of Android to pick from, and you can change defult apps and layouts.

In that regard, Android has choice.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I could be wrong, but I think the point he was making is that with the iPhone you really you only have 2 choices, which is fine imo.

With Android, you have tons of phones to choose from, cheap, expensive, big screen, small screen, real keyboard, no real keyboard, different versions of Android to pick from, and you can change defult apps and layouts.

In that regard, Android has choice.

Yes, and Google is thrilled to enable that choice in hardware, just so long as you are locked into their ad-based services.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You either have me on ignore or you keep failing to respond to the fact that I've called you out repeatedly for your B.S.

You keep calling Android fully ad funded. But it's not. Google as a company makes money on more than ads. It also makes money on subscriber based services. So enough hot air about how Android is all funded by ads. It's not. And I only correct you (again) because somewhere there might be someone reading your posts and actually believing your FUD.

Second - if one has an Android device - they are not locked into using gmail, google maps or chrome. This just shows your ignorance and/or you spreading more FUD. Android users can set any app as the default app.

You're the one who is both hilarious and scary (in that someone might believe the crap you're trying to sell here).

Now hurry back to your Google Mail and Google Maps running on Google Chrome via your ad-funded Google OS.

"Choice." You guys are hilarious.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Yes, and Google is thrilled to enable that choice in hardware, just so long as you are locked into their ad-based services.

Have you ever used an Android phone?

No ads in Gmail
No ads built into the broswer
No ads built into the operating system
No ads on maps.
No Ads in my UI
No Ads on the starup screen,

Where are these ads you speak of?

The only ads Ive ever run into on android are on free Apps, and I don't use free apps, so my phone is ad free.

And what do you mean locked into? Your not forced to use Google services or built in Apps if you want to.

Unlike Apple, which won't let you change your defult apps.

And one more thing, as a consumer, why the hell should I care how an OS is funded? I don't care if it comes via ad sales or hardware profits.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
He won't reply. Because he keeps perpetuating his fact-less paranoia over and over in several threads despite having been corrected several times.

Just more nonsense from the resident MacRumors Android Propaganda Brigade.

OH the IRONY of using the word Propaganda..

Have you ever used an Android phone?

No ads in Gmail
No ads built into the broswer
No ads built into the operating system
No ads on maps.

Where are these ads you speak of?

The only ads Ive ever run into on android are on free Apps, and I don't use free apps, so my phone is ad free.

And what do you mean locked into? Your not forced to use Google services or built in Apps if you want to.

Unlike Apple, which won't let you change your defult apps.

Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
No Thanks, I will stick with my iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro, they work perfectly and they are very secure, you can keep the open source crud for those who want to play Russian Roulette

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.