Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I just saw this too and noticed that the account I switched over per Google instructions does not Push.

This is annoying.

I'm wondering if I should go back to the Exchange setup until it bombs or if some "fix" will come out in the next month once the whole thing shuts down.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I just saw this too and noticed that the account I switched over per Google instructions does not Push.

This is annoying.

I'm wondering if I should go back to the Exchange setup until it bombs or if some "fix" will come out in the next month once the whole thing shuts down.

According to the article, current users will be grandfathered(?) so go back to exchange or you won't get it after Jan. 2013.

----------

Here's an article on TheVerge.... has some additional info.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/14/...-sync-exchange-support-for-gmail-calendar-and

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
i am confused on this...does this mean they way i have this set up in exchange will go away?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
i am confused on this...does this mean they way i have this set up in exchange will go away?

If you have your gmail account setup as exchange currently, you will be grand fathered. But new accounts and new devices after 1/30/13 will no longer be able to use exchange.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
If you have your gmail account setup as exchange currently, you will be grand fathered. But new accounts and new devices after 1/30/13 will no longer be able to use exchange.

ok and what if i need to restore my phone? if i restore from iCloud will it still be there?

does anyone use iCloud email?

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Hopefully restoring doesn't destroy this, cause I should be able to keep it forever then I assume!

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Do accounts on a free Google apps for domain get to keep it too?

Don't think so. Check TheVerge article near the bottom. There's a link to Google which explains the changes.

----------

Hopefully restoring doesn't destroy this, cause I should be able to keep it forever then I assume!

From what I read, restoring to a new device after 1/30/13 may not work. We will soon find out. I've tried the Gmail app just released but I'm not fond of it.

Cons so far:

- default notification sound is soft and short. Needs option to select a different/installed alert tone on the device.
- no embedded way to set a calendar event from the mail body like in the native mail app.

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
I like having all my accounts through the mail app. I use exchange for my gmail. Guess its good ill be grandfathered in.

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
That blows. So if I get a iPhone 5 or 5s in the future, how will I access my gmail from the stock mail client?

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Most people are not using gmail through exchange because it's not the default setup. Most people won't even notice the difference. Gmail through imap and pop will still work.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Just sync calendar and contacts like this.
e5evuqeh.jpg

They are just making it more difficult. You just have to add the contacts and calendar like as separate accounts and then you can sync forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Most people are not using gmail through exchange because it's not the default setup. Most people won't even notice the difference. Gmail through imap and pop will still work.

Yeah that's true. Most people see Gmail in the setup and choose that. I hate waiting up to 15 minutes to get email. If/when I am refused exchange setup, I'll have to keep the Gmail app setup just for the notification. Then open the native mail app and d/l the gmail stuff. Wow - this will suck!!

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Is there an open standard for push email? Should there be one?
IMAP IDLE. Gmail supports it, but iOS's Mail app doesn't, that's why you have to setup Gmail as an Exchange account to have push. Supposedly, IDLE support is left out because Jobs said it's a "power hog."

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
IMAP IDLE. Gmail supports it, but iOS's Mail app doesn't, that's why you have to setup Gmail as an Exchange account to have push. Supposedly, IDLE support is left out because Jobs said it's a "power hog."

hopefully there will be a fix and they offer push somehow yet the "grandfather" thing does sound odd and very unclear

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Well, he was mostly right about that. It was not originally intended for mobile use and is not well optimized for it. It also does not support calendars and contacts (and CalDAV and CardDAV by themselves do not support push either).

There is no open standard for push mail. Some people in the IETF proposed one a few years ago, but it never went beyond draft status (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maes-lemonade-p-imap-12).

But I guess Google's move has little to do with technical considerations, but is mostly about nudging non-paying customers towards using their Gmail app, so they can later start displaying ads in the app and monetize the service.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
All of our current gmail accounts will still have sync with exchange. We don't have to use the gmail app if we don't want to. This only applies to brand new accounts created in 2013. Google is just trying to make it tougher for iOS users with gmail from 2013 and on. Even new accounts will be able to sync, it will just be tougher to set up is all.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
All of our current gmail accounts will still have sync with exchange. We don't have to use the gmail app if we don't want to. This only applies to brand new accounts created in 2013. Google is just trying to make it tougher for iOS users with gmail from 2013 and on. Even new accounts will be able to sync, it will just be tougher to set up is all.

I thought existing devices were grandfathered, not existing accounts? The way I read it, when you upgrade your device, you're screwed. :mad:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Saw this today ... it sucks! I've had gmail push for years on my iOS devices, so if this goes away I'm going to be pissed! There seems to be no clear answer on grandfathering yet either.

Either way, I will NOT resort to the Gmail App. I have 1-2 other email accounts I use and I'm not going to have two apps for email alone. So hopefully this is ironed out soon.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
Saw this today ... it sucks! I've had gmail push for years on my iOS devices, so if this goes away I'm going to be pissed! There seems to be no clear answer on grandfathering yet either.

Either way, I will NOT resort to the Gmail App. I have 1-2 other email accounts I use and I'm not going to have two apps for email alone. So hopefully this is ironed out soon.

Well, here is what the actual blog post from Google says...

Google said:
Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync; however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.