Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
Glad that worked for you. I've heard of that causing issues with other devices in the past but never thought of that for an appletv. My password is around 28 letters and numbers so I guess I just missed running into that myself.

Just Switched

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Update: talked with tech over the phone, still no luck, went to apple store and exchanged new unit, problem still here. I think its gotta be the firmware issue.

I think I have wait until they come with new update in the mean time.

I had 2 defective 3rd gen apple TVs and 2 defective iPads. The third exchange was the charm. Now both my iPad and Apple TV stay connected to home share with out a hitch. I had read evry single thread on here and on apple support site and called apple care and had 2 different techs out 2 my house before the store verified that units were indeed defective. Not saying this will work for you but you may want to try another exchange. Not that it was worth the hassle but I got a 5% discount for my troubles.

monkey28

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
After I exchanged a second one, it's gets worst, iPhone and iPad won't even find the atv. Looks like you said, may need another unit.

smp99

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Well, mine seems to be fixed.

My situation was a problem with Win7 64bit firewall. Issue was that it would connect then disconnect after a few minutes. I also have a Win XP desktop that has zero problems with home share to ATV3. I called Apple support and we focused on the Win7 pc since we both felt the router and network were fine. All connections are wired but I don't think that mattered for this issue.

We turned off all firewalls, and it worked. Turned back on, same problem, even though iTunes was set as a program allowed in the firewall settings - all ports. What I have to do was set up 2 new inbound rules that would open up 2 ports for ALL programs - TCP-3689 and UDP-5353. My guess is that Home sharing might use a program other than iTunes to monitor the streaming. You need to go to the Advanced Setting for the firewall to set these ( I am using the default firewall in Win7) You can also simply type "firewall" in the Search/Run bar and the Advanced Firewall application opens up.

Hope this helps some.

monkey28

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Glad it work for u! But I am still figure out what's going on! I am using iMac, and turn off firewall. Tried port forwarding in router and still dropping connections.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
- Make sure all devices are connected to the same (already working) SSID and not hopping to another one.
- Ensure all devices are on the SAME apple ID
- iTunes on the computer must be up
- Turn off home sharing and back on again on computer
- Turn on home sharing ATV

superx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
Well I finally figured out my issue. There are to many 5ghz networks in my area.

I switched to 2.4 and that fixed it. weird but it is working.

mikeleire

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Final Got Home Sharing Working

After reading through the Forum threads and combining all the info, i was able to finally get my ATV3 to see all the Itunes libraries in my home.

I was having this problem with home sharing prior to buying ATV, but thought it was due to an XP, a vista and a Windows 7 trying to communicate.

Here what i did.

Turn off IP6

Make sure firewall/ network map has all devices as trusted (depending on your firewall/ security software)

Then open the following TCP ports: 3282, 5900, 5988, 123, 3689, 5297, 5298, 443, 80.

Then open the following UDP ports: 3283, 123, 5353, 5298, 443, 80

Then try a combination of turning on and off home sharing on all devices.

Restart itunes.

Once wifi connected restart ATV3.

when i turned it on, it worked.

This also cleared up the issue of the Windows PC's not being able to see each other and my Samsung Smart TV now sees all the PC's!

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Network Channel

I tried all the tricks to help my Apple TV find my computer. After a restart of my Time Capsule, I changed the network channel from 'Automatic' to a random number. Another restart did the trick. I switched it back to Automatic and everything works great.

Strange...

ooproject

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
This worked for me...

Couldn't figure this issue out either (neither my computer nor my iPhone would connect to the Apple TV 3), finally tried this and it worked:

jmantn: So this may not work for everyone but here's some more possible solutions I've came across in addition to my previous posts on this thread:

Try turning off Home Sharing in iTunes. Then turn Home Sharing back on. This time don't click on done in the last step. Try clicking on My Music instead. By just clicking My Music instead, Home Sharing would stay in place and Apple TV may work. - From Apple Support Community

IfHereMad

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Ok guys. One frustrated evening later. Here's the simple, simple answer. Put your apple products on the 2g channel. Except your Mac if its your iTunes holder. After much irritation over the "remote" app not seeing the ITV, the ITV not seeing the Mac mini etc. I came to this solution and it instantly fixed all. Note my set up, Mac mini, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 ATV3's. once I forced all but the mini to 2g, everything works flawlessly. Looks as though apple just can't swing 5g on devices quite yet.

gordmartin

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
jmantn you ARE the man ! Thank you

My situation was: new Apple TV working fine with one homeshared computer but not the other. Tried EVERYTHING. Finally tried this (buried way down in this thread):
Lastly:
1. Close iTunes application
2. Remove all of the contents from inside of this folder - C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes (it is recommended that you move them to your desktop as a backup - so that you can move them back in case this does not work).
3. Repeat step 2 for this folder as well - C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes
4. Launch iTunes application.
At this point - itunes will re-create all of the data inside of these two folders that you just removed and you should be back up and running.

Up and running ... didn't even see a sniff of this solution in any of the hundreds of other pages I went searching for helps. Thank you jmantn

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Shot in the dark here but try these:

In your Network settings make sure TCP/IPv6 setting is unchecked but leave TCP/IPv4 checked.

Restart your router (I know most probably have).
In your Router's settings under security make sure Multicast is checked if you have that option.
Try a complete reset of your router.

Windows PC's check bonjour settings:
To enable, right click on My Computer and select Manage. Click on Services under Services and Applications. Right click Bonjour Service and select Properties. Change Startup type to Automatic. And, click Start under Service Status. Click Ok. Restart iTunes

Make sure if you have a firewall you don't have something apple related set to untrusted or blocked.

Check your ports for bonjour on a router:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2138901?start=0&tstart=0

In iTunes, click "Advanced". Turn OFF Home Sharing. Turn it back ON and it will ask for your iTunes password. Put that in and click "Done."

Try turning off wifi sync in iTunes for your iPhone and iPad, home sharing may now work.

Also check this thread:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3788964?start=0&tstart=0

Try assigning each device on the network a static IP.

I hope this helps.

Just wanted to say thank you!! All of a sudden my Apple TV would not connect with the remote app and I wasted the last three hours trying to figure out why.

I turned off wifi sync and that fixed the problem immediately. It makes no sense why this would prevent the remote app from working though? Anyway, I'd much rather the convenience of remote app than wifi sync, we should be able to use both though. Not being able to use the remote app kind of made my Apple TV just a pointless paper weight for me. So thank you again!

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hey Guys,

Just got a new Appletv3 and got everything hooked up, but the apple tv only connected once to my iTunes Library.

Everything was working during that time. now a MSG on the apple tv says turn on home-sharing.

I have a Dlink dir-815. The Apple TV is connected through n 5ghz.
I went through and forwarded the ports.

I have turn off home-sharing and turn it on. Restarted my machine.

It is a windows Vista Machine.

As I said earlier I have only been able to connect once to my home-sharing and it stopped.

Thanks for any help.

you try a factory reset on the apple tv unit?

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
Home Sharing was the bain of my life for many months, tried everything, posted many times on here and got lots of helpful solutions, nada.

I was in a fortunate enough position to test out different routers, all to no avail, Dlink Netgear etc. Then I bit the bullet and bought an Airport Extreme, and haven't had any issues since. It's not a cheap solution, but it works.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I was going to go buy one of the Apple routers, but I realized I have Verizon Fios with coax connection, so basically I have to use their router unless I want to put that one in bridge mode and then the Apple one on top of that, lol. Sigh, I've already gotten a replacement AppleTV3 so I'm going to troubleshoot some more tonight.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I was going to go buy one of the Apple routers, but I realized I have Verizon Fios with coax connection, so basically I have to use their router unless I want to put that one in bridge mode and then the Apple one on top of that, lol. Sigh, I've already gotten a replacement AppleTV3 so I'm going to troubleshoot some more tonight.

Many actually do that (bridge the FIOS). The coax part serves your Cable TV connection, nothing to do with the internet connection. I don't subscribe to their cable, so I just have a straight in ethernet connection and can use a router of my choice.

I haven't kept up with latest tech, but you used to be able to insert your router in the ethernet connection prior to their box (connect their box to your router) and just use their box for the TV.

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012

There were some internal settings I have to change in the Fios Actiontec router. I switched from Comcast to Fios when we moved and ATV was rock solid until I tried to connect it to Fios. After changing some settings I have since been rock solid. I had to dig to find the posts. It was like a year ago.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I actually have the Fios Westell router, but I hear they're pretty similar. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if connecting an Apple router via ethernet to the Fios router and then using the wifi from the Apple router might solve the wifi problems (or it could just add another layer of problems, lol).

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
My Apple TV stopped AirPlay tonight from my Mac mini due to my time capsule started a back up from my Mac mini. I have spoken to AppleCare about this and they said this is correct as the their is to much information from the my Mac mini to my time capsule to be able to allow AirPlay to work as well. I never have had a problem when using my iPad on AirPlay to Apple TV but when my Mac mini backs up to the time capsule the iPad will not connect to AirPlay.

frankmacman

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
Disabling wi fi syncing works!

Just wanted to let anyone who has this problem know, I had this problem on a new apple tv i just bought yesterday i could not connect to an itunes home share on a MBP, but could on other ios devices. After disabling wi fi syncing with my iPad as suggested below everything worked fine! (At least once as i am not streaming something at this moment).

Apple needs to fix this.

Shot in the dark here but try these:

In your Network settings make sure TCP/IPv6 setting is unchecked but leave TCP/IPv4 checked.

Restart your router (I know most probably have).
In your Router's settings under security make sure Multicast is checked if you have that option.
Try a complete reset of your router.

Windows PC's check bonjour settings:
To enable, right click on My Computer and select Manage. Click on Services under Services and Applications. Right click Bonjour Service and select Properties. Change Startup type to Automatic. And, click Start under Service Status. Click Ok. Restart iTunes

Make sure if you have a firewall you don't have something apple related set to untrusted or blocked.

Check your ports for bonjour on a router:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2138901?start=0&tstart=0

In iTunes, click "Advanced". Turn OFF Home Sharing. Turn it back ON and it will ask for your iTunes password. Put that in and click "Done."

Try turning off wifi sync in iTunes for your iPhone and iPad, home sharing may now work.

Also check this thread:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3788964?start=0&tstart=0

Try assigning each device on the network a static IP.

I hope this helps.

iSquirrelu

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Finally got Apple TV to see my home library - OS X 10.10

Finally after a lot of messing around:

Final solution was:

Within each Airport Express I set a static IP under/internet and then connect using I selected Static and setup the IP and DNS

Weird thing thing is worked fine under os x 10.120 DP7 but DP8 and the GM S1 broke it, finally working again!

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Finally after a lot of messing around:

Final solution was:

Within each Airport Express I set a static IP under/internet and then connect using I selected Static and setup the IP and DNS

Weird thing thing is worked fine under os x 10.120 DP7 but DP8 and the GM S1 broke it, finally working again!

I'm not quite sure I understand what you did to get it to work again. Can you take a screenshot or something of the settings you changed?

Gone Coastal

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
Yosemite issue for ATV connection to iTunes

I have a Yosemite and a new ATV and had this same issue with connecting to iTunes library - turns out the fix is simple. Under System Preferences> Sharing just change the local host name for your computer. Then turn Home Sharing in iTunes and and off - worked like a charm. Here's the info where I found it. http://appletv2.com/apple-tv-cannot-connect-to-itunes-library/

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I have a Yosemite and a new ATV and had this same issue with connecting to iTunes library - turns out the fix is simple. Under System Preferences> Sharing just change the local host name for your computer. Then turn Home Sharing in iTunes and and off - worked like a charm. Here's the info where I found it. http://appletv2.com/apple-tv-cannot-connect-to-itunes-library/

I can't believe it....after months and months of not being able to access my movies from my AppleTV....it WORKS!

THANKS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.