Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevetom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
I recently threw out my space consuming CRT monitors and bought two new Samsung S19B 150N LED monitors, connected them, and nothing. The monitors each work with another computer and the G5 shows up on a different monitor, so everything is working separately but not together. Any suggestions please???? Somebody suggested that maybe the monitors are too new for the graphics card. If so, what card should I go for to run the two monitors. I'm just an ageing video editor. I don't do gaming.

It is a pretty old dual core G5 running an early OSX.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Most monitors now days come dual equipped. By that I mean they are DVI and VGA. If the monitors work connected to another computer, but not on the G5 maybe it's down to the mode?

What I mean by that is that you can switch the input mode from VGA to DVI and back. If you have the monitors hooked up to the G5 using DVI (Digital) but have the mode set to VGA (Analog) you won't see anything.

My work G5 also requires an adapter to convert from Apple's interface to DVI (it's got a dual monitor card). I don't believe you can insert a DVI cable directly into that port but you never now. If you did though, it wouldn't work as you need an adapter.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I recently threw out my space consuming CRT monitors and bought two new Samsung S19B 150N LED monitors, connected them, and nothing. The monitors each work with another computer and the G5 shows up on a different monitor, so everything is working separately but not together. Any suggestions please???? Somebody suggested that maybe the monitors are too new for the graphics card. If so, what card should I go for to run the two monitors. I'm just an ageing video editor. I don't do gaming.

It is a pretty old dual core G5 running an early OSX.

I'm a little confused. Do you mean that the monitors are showing the smae image on both monitors and not extending, or they are extended but no in the right configuration so that when you move the cursor off the side it goes to the wrong monitor. Or is it video issue?
I don't believe it's a video card issue- I run a 23" and 17" monitor on extended display with no problems on the original video card. Yours has an equal or better, so you should be OK there.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm a little confused. Do you mean that the monitors are showing the smae image on both monitors and not extending, or they are extended but no in the right configuration so that when you move the cursor off the side it goes to the wrong monitor.
You're more then a little confused. He said when he plugged the new monitors into his computer he gets NOTHING.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
These displays run @1366 x 768 natively and do have only D-Sub input, according to Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/monitors/essential/LS19B150NS/EN-spec

It's probably the source of your problem. What graphics card do you have? GeForce 6600 maybe? If so, most probably the card does not support this resolution. These do have problems with some panoramic resolutions.

You can try to force 1366 x 768 using SwitchResX. If it won't work, you need other card or displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.