Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
To clarify: do you mean it can't at least notify you that a call is incoming? If you're using an app does it just go straight to voicemail?

The call goes to VM. It's just like Edge network on ATT back in the days with original iPhone.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
Everyday. Uninterrupted iMessage service while calling or using any data. Making calls during GPS guidance. I couldn't imagine an iPhone without it

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
This thread did not go the way the OP intended it lol. He hasn't even resurfaced.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Has anyone tried this on T-Mobile? If you can do it then AT&T can be sued for false advertisement since they say they are the only network that can do it with the iPhone.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
The call goes to VM.

:eek::eek::eek:

So ... the fact that I usually have some app up & running means I'll miss most calls? :confused::eek::mad:
Or, worse, my wife will be using hers and won't answer when I call? well, not by choice? :mad::mad::mad:

I'm trying to justify staying with Verizon, and am not seeing much reason to. $850 for the upgrade (halfway thru a 2-year upgrade cycle, and the "free" phone literally went up in smoke) + $370 for upgrading hers, can't get calls if running an app (I can tolerate not making calls from an app, but...not even a "hey, someone's calling you, pause the app" popup? WTF?:rolleyes:), the "share everything" 4GB plan is $150/mo, and having Skype in-hand solves the international calling problem ... vs. tolerable early termination fee, $350x2 for a pair of refurb 5s, and data & voice together ... harumph.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Has anyone tried this on T-Mobile? If you can do it then AT&T can be sued for false advertisement since they say they are the only network that can do it with the iPhone.

They can, but T-Mobile doesn't officially offer the iPhone. So the lawsuit would probably hang on a technicality.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
They can, but T-Mobile doesn't officially offer the iPhone. So the lawsuit would probably hang on a technicality.

Yes but the commercial says its the only network that you can talk and surf at at the same time on the iphone. It doesnt mention anything about being the only one that offers the iphone that can talk and surf. So technically its a lie because of how it is worded.

I was just curious thats all.

i am sure with the money ATT has they can afford lawyers that can get them off like you said

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I don't understand all this surf and talk debate. Do you know just how hard it is to surf? I don't know how anyone could be talking when riding a huge wave. Plus the iPhone isn't even waterproof. That's just foolish behavior, if you ask me.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Honestly, never.

However, it's a sport I want to try. But then even if I get good at it, I can't imagine talking while surfing. I imagine when you are out there in the waves, the last think you want to do do is answer your phone.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
All the time here! I often use the web, or email, or maps, or have another device tethered. I would never switch to a carrier that doesn't support that feature.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.

I haven't used it because I can't haha. But I think that if I did have it, I would never use it.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Verizon. Being a CDMA network, because of the radios in the phone (I think) you can't do simultaneous voice/data. You can with AT&T.

I love this feature. As you mentioned, sometimes it is very useful.

Verizion can now do this but Apple is to blame for the CDMA iPhone not being able to do this. Andriod phones have been about to do this this for the last year or longer. Also LTE iPhone should be able to do this also but for some reason Verizon and Sprint iPhone can't...

I use it a lot.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?
Subjective matter. Why does it matter to you if a feature that you don't find important is important to others? Use what works for you and let others use what works for them.

If a VZW shopper is easily swayed by preferences that aren't relevant to that shopper then that person gets what that person deserves. It's each person's responsibility to ensure that they're shopping for whatever suits their particular needs/wants best -- not yours or anyone else's.

Be careful with "you" and "I". I don't need this and I'm on Verizon but there are certainly those that do use simultaneous voice and data. It really shouldn't be so difficult for any person to imagine that others have differing needs/wants/priorities/etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.