Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iErick

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Did you guys miss the part where it says existing users can continue to use it. It's is only for new accounts.

Apps for business and education will still be supported as well

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
What? I will be using a preexisting account. I'm good. If I choose to creat a new email address then that account will not have sync.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
CardDAV actually works better for me. You're able to associate Twitter IDs and custom information, that previously Google Sync (at least for me) didn't handle.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Got it. Using it now. Also using new gmail app. I like it.

----------

sase5asa.jpg

evy8ezet.jpg

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
Existing accounts can still use exchange active sync.
Regardless, the gmail app has push, and iOS supports contacts and calendar via caldav and carddav. Google dropping AES support next year is really a non-issue.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Regardless, the gmail app has push, and iOS supports contacts and calendar via caldav and carddav. Google dropping AES support next year is really a non-issue.

Unless people don't want to use the gmail app (although I suspect that's exactly what this is designed to force people in to). I use both iCloud and gmail mail, and I like it all in one app.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Unless people don't want to use the gmail app (although I suspect that's exactly what this is designed to force people in to). I use both iCloud and gmail mail, and I like it all in one app.

You can still use the old app since you are using a preexisting account. Old email accounts will still have sync.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
You can still use the old app since you are using a preexisting account. Old email accounts will still have sync.

I believe the blog post from Google said existing devices would work, not existing accounts. There's a big difference there.

Google said:
Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync; however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Yes. Yes, I do.

Why do you need to know instantly instead of every 15 minutes? I specially turn off any push or polling of my email specifically because I don't want my phone to be playing sounds with every email I get which would be really annoying.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Do you really need to know the instant you get an email? It isn't instant messaging. Most of the time it is just Facebook spam.

Of course people do.

Apple launched MobileMe under the premise that it offered push email

Blackberry's success comes from offering push email

Microsoft makes a huge amount of money from licencing EAS.

It's very clear that it's a popular concept.

Google is doing this for no other reason than to make money - in itself that's not a bad thing, but to say it's to "improve their offerings" is just bogus.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Ok, so all my friends and family I set up with GMail Exchange...I can just ignore all of that?

That's my biggest fear, having to re-do all the help I've given out over the years. Ugh, shoot me now if that's the case.

But if that's not the case then, well, whatever.

I think this is a lame change, but it's not like Apple makes iCloud for Android so...yeah, how can I fault Google for starting to see things in a similar light?

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
For calendar and contacts, Carddav is better than Exchange Active Synch. For example, custom phones numbers (other than home, cell, office) are supported. With Exchange, those phone numbers just disappear when you synch/import to your iPhone.

As for Gmail, it's high time somebody wrote a great app for it, with saving of any file type, push noitification, labels and archiving.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Let's make it clear:

Right now, nothing has changed.

From the 30th January 2013:

-If you have never used Google Sync before, you will not be able to activate it on your account
-If you have a new device, you will not be able to add it to your existing Google account with Google Sync enabled

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.