Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Apple cut their iPhone orders for next quarter though, which is one reason the stock was down 20 points today (that, and the dud launch in China). You'd have to assume that means sales are below their expectations. People are buying them, just not in the numbers they wanted.

Like people have said...Apple is the most manipulated stock on hearsay. I wish people would have to confirm their sources or face massive fines for false information. That would stop nonsense like this.

Also, even if they did you can take it the other direction...maybe they cut orders because the 5S is coming and they are starting the 6 month cycle of tick and tock...# release and S release every 6 months.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Wow heavily discounted iPhone at Walmart just several moths after release.

Times are not looking good for apple.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

Or Walmart is selling them at cost to their customers to bring people into the store. Remember, when people buy a new model of phone, they usually buy the accessories with it...that $$$ would go to Walmart instead of Best Buy.

Why don't we get the real facts here before saying Apple is doomed.

Last edited:

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Or Walmart is selling them at cost to their customers to bring people into the store. Remember, when people buy a new model of phone, they usually buy the accessories with it...that $$$ would go to Walmart instead of Best Buy.

Why don't we get the real facts here before saying Apple is doomed.

easy there tiger, no one is saying apple is doomed, people are just saying what a joke the upmarket profile for apple is when their phones, sorry apple doesn't do phones, it does phone... when their phone sells for bargain basement prices at walmart.

Some people get ripped off in glass buildings with birch furniture to buy in the apple status/hipster myth with a new phone that's currently owned by pimps, prostitutes and crack dealers. One has to be blind to not see the irony in that.

And that's what people have been pointing out.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
easy there tiger, no one is saying apple is doomed, people are just saying what a joke the upmarket profile for apple is when their phones, sorry apple doesn't do phones, it does phone... when their phone sells for bargain basement prices at walmart.

Some people get ripped off in glass buildings with birch furniture to buy in the apple status/hipster myth with a new phone that's currently owned by pimps, prostitutes and crack dealers. One has to be blind to not see the irony in that.

And that's what people have been pointing out.

Pimps, hos and crack dealers aren't going to be buying phones on contract...which you have to do with the iPhone 5.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Apple cut their iPhone orders for next quarter though, which is one reason the stock was down 20 points today (that, and the dud launch in China). You'd have to assume that means sales are below their expectations. People are buying them, just not in the numbers they wanted.

I'm amazed of the size of that gaping black hole you are pulling this information from. Apple has NOT cut orders for iPhones.

----------

This is a really bad sign for Apple's finances.

iPhone 5 sales well below expectations: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-2012-12

And now heavily discounted brand-new iPads.

First signs that Apple won't be able to keep up their fantastic margins any longer without losing market share. Samsung's margin is a bit more than half of Apple's but they make up for it by selling twice as many devices.

It will be a full-on and bloody Apple vs Samsung war of the giants next year, with everyone else being trampled into insignificance.

You're better off relying on the National Enquirer or TMZ for your financial news. Seriously, Business Insider?! People will believe anything posted on the Internet.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
It us the oldest trick in the bag... Advertize a discount on a desirable product.. Lure thousends in ... And have maybe 5 units for sale at that price.
It is called generating traffic ...

I would like to see one post from a person who actually bought an iphone 5 at that price!

I bought 2 at that price tonight .

----------

Is the sale on just the i phone or is the iPad 3 4th generation vs Ipad 3 3rd generation also on sale for 399.99 with 30 dollar i tune card

anyone know return policy of microcenter bought hubby ipad 3rd generation last sat for first night of our holiday, he has used it 2x but would perfer the 4th generation just could not justify 100 dollars more......holiday and birthday for grandchildren toiok priority

didn't even think to check ,since I was only interested in the iP5. I guess I have Tunnel Vision.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
There's this thing in the US (not sure about the rest of the world), called the Holiday Season, where retailers offer huge discounts on popular products to build traffic in their stores. This is Business 101. If you can lure someone into your store for a specific product, chances are they may buy other stuff as well.

"Buy One, Get One Free" is usually a good sign of clearing out stock.

That's a pretty hefty chunk of a discount for a loss leader especially from an Apple product. iPad 3, I get it as its the older model. But i5 is the latest iteration and its supposedly selling that briskly, even a $25 discount would suffice if you were planning to buy it anyway. Heck, even just letting people know that you are selling it would have been enough to reel people in if you read and believe some commenters here. Imagine how much more the customer has to buy other stuff to recoup the money given away in the iPhone. I guess Apple don't have a say on this because I would think that they would want to protect their brand image as "high end products". Personally, I think Apple is losing its shininess and not moving product as they used to.

As for me, I'm an ARTIST and don't enter such dingy places..:rolleyes:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

I'd say you're right. Soft sales are always the reason discounts are offered. Given Apple's extremely close ties with the nations largest retailer, it's a good way to move product without implicating Apple as weak. Obviously at this price point, people will overlook iPhone 5's annoyances.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
When macrumors posted this article - before it got updated. I went into a Best Buy and showed them the 399 price and they gave it to me. Can't believe that Walmart announced they were wrong. Wonder how many people did the same thing as me.

I wish I would have done that. It's probably too late now, alas.

Ubba23

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I work at Sam's Club and they have the same deal! $127 iPhone 5 16gb sold a **** load today at that price!

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
When macrumors posted this article - before it got updated. I went into a Best Buy and showed them the 399 price and they gave it to me. Can't believe that Walmart announced they were wrong. Wonder how many people did the same thing as me.

I can't imagine Best Buy would do this without seeing an actual Wal-Mart advertisement showing the $399 price, not a news story on a third party site. If they did, it had to be an uninformed associate. Wouldn't a manager have to approve such price changes?

Have a pic of your receipt?

RVijay007

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Have you looked at Google's stock lately? It's up at 700 right now!

I think he was referring to the market cap of those companies, not just the stock price. AAPL is worth $479.56B at the moment, with GOOG at $230.66B and MSFT at $225.65B (combined - $456.31B). However, these numbers are at AAPL @ ~$509/share; @ $500 / share, AAPL market cap would be $470.35, which is still more than those two combined at current share prices. OP comment was correct to this extent, but would need to check EV (which I believe AAPL would still win since they have little debt compared to cash as these two other companies).

neroroxxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
Are there that many people who are eligible for an upgrade that have been putting it off because $199 is too much money but $127 will make them buy it? I would certainly like to save the cash, but I'm not eligible until May. Maybe this will attract new iPhone purchasers, but I can't imagine there being lots of people who are sitting on a previous iPhone and not upgrading because of the price of the phone.

My girlfriend is due for an upgrade but with christmas she is waiting until january to get hers, i was actually waiting for the same but she bough mine in november for my birthday since i had an upgrade since before it was announced, im sure many others are in the same shoes, now with all these discounts its worth doing the upgrade specially for a 32gb, i think well go for best buys offer since we are reward zone members and we could get $100 off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.