Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
When I worked for Apple through a contractor we were given no more information than what's in the warranty, which is that the replacement phones I sent out (I worked the over the phone, so I never saw the replacements) could be new or made with refurbished parts. This put me in a very difficult position as we had no official positioning. Every superior I talked to had a different answer about what I was supposed to tell the customer; the main thing was to not mention it unless they asked. So, I told them what was in the warranty and that I didn't have a way of knowing whether the phone would be new or made with refurbished parts but that I could assure them that Apple's refurbished products are of identical quality to new products, etc., etc. and would be indistinguishable from a new one. That was the spiel I came up with that I was comfortable with, but there is so much misinformation within customer service/tech support companies, and people tend to adopt whatever works. Oftentimes it's the fault of the company for avoiding giving agents direct positioning for difficult issues (such as: where are you located, is this refurbished, etc.).

The person who told you it was new may not have known or may have adopted that as a simple answer to avoid customers who get upset that they're getting a refurbished phone. Of course in the long run it doesn't help to not tell the truth as some other representative will have to deal with the fall-out, but when you're working in tech support (at least on the phones), you're judged on three things: how happy that customer was with that call, how fast you can get them off the phone, and whether you sold AppleCare.

That's one of the reasons I wasn't a tech support super-star in spite of having quite a number of happy customers. I'm not good with brevity or bullsh*tting.

jmanley1

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Just exchanged my 5 for another one. I asked the genius if it was was going to be a refurb. He assured me it was a brand new phone. Why do they come in a white box though?

In early November I accidentally washed my iP5 and had to use my AppleCare+ to get a replacement.

My replacement came in a non-descript white box but I was absolutely assured by the genius (I hate calling them that!!) that it was brand new.

He also mentioned that they from day one, since 9/21, they had x-amount of replacements and that all were new and that no re-furbs had been funneled through at that point.

I can't 100% say that you got a new one but I'm sure there's a good chance it's new.

Check the serial number for the build date.. if it was built in the last month or so..it's probably brand new.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I guess it bugs me because I just got the phone Dec 9th. Now I possibly have a refurb. It wasn't my fault the phone was nicked. So I feel they should've gave me equal.

You used the phone. Doesn't matter if it was for a day. If you wanted a brand new phone and were within the return period the ONLY option would have been to return yours and get a refund/or swap for a new in box phone.

The only thing Apple owes anyone using the warranty service is a phone that is 100% functional. They aren't obligated to swap your used phone for a "new" phone (nor should they be).

And again, refurbs have been around since WEEK THREE!!! Thanks to all of the OCD returns for "scuffing".

It's no biggie. Apple has the best refurbs. You have one now, and can't tell. If that's not proof of how good they are I don't know what is...

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
either because its a refurb or its just a new replacement. why package it in a new box when its going to be used for replacements

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
When I worked for Apple through a contractor we were given no more information than what's in the warranty, which is that the replacement phones I sent out (I worked the over the phone, so I never saw the replacements) could be new or made with refurbished parts. This put me in a very difficult position as we had no official positioning. Every superior I talked to had a different answer about what I was supposed to tell the customer; the main thing was to not mention it unless they asked. So, I told them what was in the warranty and that I didn't have a way of knowing whether the phone would be new or made with refurbished parts but that I could assure them that Apple's refurbished products are of identical quality to new products, etc., etc. and would be indistinguishable from a new one. That was the spiel I came up with that I was comfortable with, but there is so much misinformation within customer service/tech support companies, and people tend to adopt whatever works. Oftentimes it's the fault of the company for avoiding giving agents direct positioning for difficult issues (such as: where are you located, is this refurbished, etc.).

The person who told you it was new may not have known or may have adopted that as a simple answer to avoid customers who get upset that they're getting a refurbished phone. Of course in the long run it doesn't help to not tell the truth as some other representative will have to deal with the fall-out, but when you're working in tech support (at least on the phones), you're judged on three things: how happy that customer was with that call, how fast you can get them off the phone, and whether you sold AppleCare.

That's one of the reasons I wasn't a tech support super-star in spite of having quite a number of happy customers. I'm not good with brevity or bullsh*tting.

Thank you. I have been trying to tell folks on here this for AGES lol...

The genuises tell people what they want to hear in order to keep them from going nuts. Good for you for not lying to people.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I did ask if he needed my cables and stuff and he did say I just keep those. The serial number is pretty much the same as the one I traded in. If it was a refurb wouldn't he had just told me yes it will be replaced with a refurb?

I mean this phone looks better than the one I traded in.

It just kinda bugs me that it could be a refurb. I don't know why he wouldn't have just said it could be a refurb or it could be new. He insisted it was a brand new phone. I might call and just ask more questions.

What I should've done was just get my money back and go to Best Buy and save 50 bucks. Nothing against the the Apple store.

----------

I really don't know why it bugs me. Who knows the phone really could be brand new. I'm just paranoid lol.

I guess it bugs me because I just got the phone Dec 9th. Now I possibly have a refurb. It wasn't my fault the phone was nicked. So I feel they should've gave me equal.

When I get home I'm gonna inspect the phone and if it looks good and no problems I'm gonna keep it. I mean as far as looks its better than the one I had to replace. I guess I'm just being nit picky.

I don't need to calm down cause I'm fine lol. I'm just saying it bugs me. Nothing major lol. If it really did bug that bad I would just return it get my money back and go save 50 bucks. I just came here to ask a question not argue geez lol.
From the looks of it it bugs you that bad if you even had to start a topic about it.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
From the looks of it it bugs you that bad if you even had to start a topic about it.

But I didnt start the topic about me getting a refurb. I simply asked why do replacement phones come in a white box. Even if he would've said yes it's a refurb I still would've looked at the phone and as long as it was ok accepted it which I did. Could I have just got a refund? Yes. Did I? No. I accepted a phone that came in a white box and came here to ask what I needed to ask. And if it really did annoy me that bad I could easily go back and get a refund then go purchase the phone at Best Buy for $250.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
2 days after release I got a white box phone when swapping out one for scratch gate. Apple guy told me that during a huge launch they also receive phones in white boxes just to swap out. He also told me that the phones are brand new.
I would find it hard to believe they had a refurb phones within 2 days. And yes the phone was damage free.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

I exchanged my iPhone due to dents and nicks and apple replaced it with one from a brand new sealed retail box.

If you purchase your phone directly from apple, you'll get a retail box swap in the first 30 days. If you purchased from your carrier, you'll get the white box.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
That's weird. I purchased mine Dec 9th but no retail box. What if I ever wanna sell this phone with it's box? I mean the serial number on the phone don't match the one on my original retail box since they just gave me a replacement phone.

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
I exchanged my iPhone due to dents and nicks and apple replaced it with one from a brand new sealed retail box.

If you purchase your phone directly from apple, you'll get a retail box swap in the first 30 days. If you purchased from your carrier, you'll get the white box.

That is a lie. I got a replacement due to light leakage and the genius swapped it with the white box, I purchased my iPhone 5 online from Apple and the phone was older (week 38) than the new phone (week 41).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.