Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
In most cases faulty ram just does not work, computer might not boot up or may hang during use. It usually does not damage the computer itself, but of course that could also happen, depending on how the ram is damaged, but most cases no damage to the computer is done.

Touch metal before handling components to destatic yourself, do not wear clothing which may produce static eletricity.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
sucked it up and installed it. computer reads it a 8GB so thats good.

am i in the clear now? also auction shows 1066MHZ but on my macbook its showing as 1333MHZ

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'd run the apple hardware test and do a memory test to make sure it is all good.

RAM can detect as 8gb, and work up to a certain amount but cause crashes. Before trusting it, i'd run apple hardware test to make sure it is working correctly.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
I'd run the apple hardware test and do a memory test to make sure it is all good.

RAM can detect as 8gb, and work up to a certain amount but cause crashes. Before trusting it, i'd run apple hardware test to make sure it is working correctly.

whats hardware test? do you mean tech tool deluxe?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Agreed. I would fully test it with extended Apple Hardware Testing. I wouldn't trust ebay for RAM.

I would have bought this Crucial set for $32.99 (after $5 off) if I was you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.