Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.OG

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
What are you guys using to clean the screen on your 2012 imac? I have tried different methods and products and it still looks like crap. The Anti reflective coating reminds me of a transflective monitor i had many years ago which was also difficult to clean.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
What are you guys using to clean the screen on your 2012 imac? I have tried different methods and products and it still looks like crap. The Anti reflective coating reminds me of a transflective monitor i had many years ago which was also difficult to clean.

I lick mine every night

R.OG

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
The reason i ask is because the new coating on the imac makes it difficult to clean evenly. I have cleaned the display on many apple products and this is the by far the most difficult to deal with.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I lick mine every night

smiley-laughing025.gif

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
The reason i ask is because the new coating on the imac makes it difficult to clean evenly. I have cleaned the display on many apple products and this is the by far the most difficult to deal with.

New coating? I thought the outside was still just glass.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
It comes with a cloth, and so far I have not needed any type of solution. In the past I have used iKlear or ShaggyMac's Optimist and both work fine. However, with my iMacs, the screen is rarely touch or put in a situation where it would require anything more than a light dusting.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012

I used a tissue, dipped with a bit of soap on it and warm water and it works well :)

Also I use the iPad cleaner tissues that you can buy.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I got my parents a new 21" and I seriously thought I ruined the display when I used my iKlear to clean it and it left a foggy film on the glass that I could not get off! I ended up taking the provided microfiber, soaked it with water, and cleaned the display with that, then dried it with another microfiber. Crystal clear!

R.OG

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
I got my parents a new 21" and I seriously thought I ruined the display when I used my iKlear to clean it and it left a foggy film on the glass that I could not get off! I ended up taking the provided microfiber, soaked it with water, and cleaned the display with that, then dried it with another microfiber. Crystal clear!

Thanks, i will try that method. It was iKlear that ruined my display while trying to clean off some fingerprints

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just use a micro cloth. No need to use liquids. If you must dampen a micro cloth then follow w/ a dry one.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I did the iKlear thingy too - didn't even know there was a cloth included. And using this dry was the only thing that sorted the iMess!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.