Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thatgreenvw

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
New house means new study!

pc110358.jpg

pc110359.jpg

Had to cut down my girlfriends desk to fit in under the window but all in all very pleasing. :D

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Here is my new Malm desk from iKea. Was going to go with birchwood black, but last minute changed my mind and wanted white instead, pleased with the way it looks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdo58xt929jlr9z/2012-12-11%2016.24.18.jpg

Here you can see my
- 2011 27" iMac
- Asus 25.5" LCD monitor hooked up to my TVPAD for streaming mainland/hk content
- Apple wireless kb/mouse/trackpad
- Hori PS3/PC streetfighter stick
- cute couple in wedding wardrobe piggy bank
- lame ass $10 walmart chair lol

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
My Current set up:

Just a 2.2 GHz Intel i7 15" Macbook Pro. Hooked up to an ex-display giant 37" iPhone 3G, which i converted to a HDMI input via mini display port.

And my current Bedroom TV set up has a G4 for music & YouTuben'

Plus my work set up is a 2.8 GHz Quad Core mac pro with a 30" cinema display, also running windows via VM-ware on a second display.

Hi I have a question about that display? How old is the display? I want to buy one off of eBay and I was wondering what do I need to do to be able to use it? I am considering a 20 inch or 22 inch, do you use a power adapter for the monitor?

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Hi I have a question about that display? How old is the display? I want to buy one off of eBay and I was wondering what do I need to do to be able to use it? I am considering a 20 inch or 22 inch, do you use a power adapter for the monitor?

I'm not the OP, but I presume you're talking about his aluminum cinema display? I've owned a few of them in the 23" size (they don't make a 22, unless you're thinking of the acrylic models). They were made between 2004 and 2008, and they do require a power adapter (20" requires 65W, 23" requires 90W, and 30", 150W). Many eBay sellers do not include power adapters, and they can be expensive, so make sure it's included before you bid!

Also, I advise staying away from the acrylic monitors (the only design with a 22" display). They don't require a power adapter, but they do connect with a proprietary connector known as ADC, which only older Macs have (unless you get a _really_ old display, like 1999-old, which used DVI). To connect to a newer Mac you'd need to purchase an ADC to DVI adapter, which can run $100 alone.

Hope this helps!

Burglad

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
toronto on
This is my current setup, but it seems to change every few months depending on what new toys i buy. This is the first post for me on here so i will keep em coming as time goes on.

Attachments

• DSC02398.JPG
    DSC02398.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 556
  • DSC02401.JPG
    DSC02401.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 420
  • DSC02400.JPG
    DSC02400.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 388

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
would like to get some opinions from some of you guys.

I'm redecorating my room after christmas, (trip to ikea on sunday to pick up a new desk) and it's going to be sort of centered around my mac setup (so black and silver).

I'm going with dark brown/black furniture and was wondering what suggestions people had for wall colours.

I was thinking neutral sort of walls with a not-too-dark brown feature wall (I don't get a huuge amount of light in my room). Also contemplated grey.

Atm I've got off white with a red feature wall and want a change so nothing red please :)

Also I have a beige carpet which can't be replaced... :/

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
Needed an excuse to break out the wide angle.

zAVhv.jpg

It works out really nice having a space bed in the office.

1) Covers all the cables
2) When working late i can get some sleep without waking my wife!

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
would like to get some opinions from some of you guys.

I'm redecorating my room after christmas, (trip to ikea on sunday to pick up a new desk) and it's going to be sort of centered around my mac setup (so black and silver).

I'm going with dark brown/black furniture and was wondering what suggestions people had for wall colours.

I was thinking neutral sort of walls with a not-too-dark brown feature wall (I don't get a huuge amount of light in my room). Also contemplated grey.

Atm I've got off white with a red feature wall and want a change so nothing red please :)

Also I have a beige carpet which can't be replaced... :/

At my parent's house, I had a somewhat darker room. I painted the walls a light silver, it looks nice but I wish I'd gone a couple shades darker.

Have you considered beige walls to complement your beige carpet? With white trim? To make it look like this:

Beige-walls2.jpg

Maybe not the "black and silver" look you're going for, but many new homes have this sort of color scheme as it looks very "modern," just in a different way.

EDIT: Also, if you want to add artificial lighting, consider a fixture like this above the desk:

e712bc4e-daa5-4a98-829b-ab22ab542075_300.jpg

Or a similar, flexible track that doesn't sit right against the ceiling, with a brushed steel look.

Katieg-fm

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Alberta
My new mini in it's home. I don't have a home office so I compute from my couch when I'm here. Still looking for a nice set of matching docks for my iPhone and iPad so they don't have to live on my coffee table.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 597

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I'm not the OP, but I presume you're talking about his aluminum cinema display? I've owned a few of them in the 23" size (they don't make a 22, unless you're thinking of the acrylic models). They were made between 2004 and 2008, and they do require a power adapter (20" requires 65W, 23" requires 90W, and 30", 150W). Many eBay sellers do not include power adapters, and they can be expensive, so make sure it's included before you bid!

Also, I advise staying away from the acrylic monitors (the only design with a 22" display). They don't require a power adapter, but they do connect with a proprietary connector known as ADC, which only older Macs have (unless you get a _really_ old display, like 1999-old, which used DVI). To connect to a newer Mac you'd need to purchase an ADC to DVI adapter, which can run $100 alone.

Hope this helps!

Hi thanks :) I just bought a monito the aluminum one, the guy I bought it from still has another one for sale. I chose the 20inch because of the size of my desk.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200865010977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
At my parent's house, I had a somewhat darker room. I painted the walls a light silver, it looks nice but I wish I'd gone a couple shades darker.

Have you considered beige walls to complement your beige carpet? With white trim? To make it look like this:

Maybe not the "black and silver" look you're going for, but many new homes have this sort of color scheme as it looks very "modern," just in a different way.

EDIT: Also, if you want to add artificial lighting, consider a fixture like this above the desk:

Or a similar, flexible track that doesn't sit right against the ceiling, with a brushed steel look.

I like that beige, was thinking about that sort of colour to go with the brown feature wall. Do you think it would go well with dark furniture?

I have a ceiling light with 3 spotlights at the moment and I really don't like it. It looks great but it's rubbish at lighting my room as I find they're very directional lighting. I think I'm gonna go for a pendant lamp or something that'll throw a lot of light around the whole room.

oggie

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
My Setup

This is my current setup
In the middle Macbook pro Retina 15"
Work laptop HP Probook 6560b sometimes is replaced by my other work laptop which is a 11" macbook air

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 234

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

I recently decorated my room and did it almost exactly like that. Creamy beige walls, white skirting and ceiling, then 8 halogen spotlights as the lighting.

Got a white IKEA desk, and kept my existing wooden furniture. Looks nice and modern, but not to the extent at the expense of comfort or flexibility.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Do you think it would go well with dark furniture?

I was going to say you'll probably want all white/light colors, but actually, you might be alright. Check out this pic with similar wall/floor colors:
home-theater-design-room.jpg

I have a ceiling light with 3 spotlights at the moment and I really don't like it. It looks great but it's rubbish at lighting my room as I find they're very directional lighting. I think I'm gonna go for a pendant lamp or something that'll throw a lot of light around the whole room.

Yeah, I meant it to be more of a task light above the desk, then depending on your wiring maybe a sconce on the wall or even a freestanding floor lamp. Floor lamps are pretty amazing, yes they do take up a bit of space, but I have one on the center of one wall in my room and it does a pretty nice job of lighting everything up. A halogen lamp would probably do even better (mine uses two CCFLs). YMMV depending on how dark you decide to make your walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.