Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hey all so I just chatted to an Apple rep, not sure if this is common knowledge or not but apparently its perfectly legal to use somebody elses student discount!

The catch is that you can only buy 1 desktop and 1 laptop per academic year. But really thats not too much of a problem any of the students I know dont buy that many apple products per year.

So basically you can save loads of money if you just find a student willing to give you their discount! And its perfectly legal, you save a ton of cash, up to 15%!

You could even offer the student 50 quid or something youd still save hundreds!

ashleypenny

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
I think many people know this as often use friends etc. mine is shipping to me direct but used a friends discount

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Haha ok cool, yeah thought I'd risk looking a fool if everyone knew this but worth the risk if someone can save a few hundred quid!

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
u also get the 3 year warranty instead of standard 1 year :apple: :D

... Oh, wow, it looks like in the UK you really do. Didn't believe you until I checked for myself.

In Canada the edu store only gives the normal 1-year warranty (although AppleCare is offered at a discounted price).

ashleypenny

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
I am not a student and always order from here http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000662/browse/home/shop_mac

You do not have to provide any information about being a student or anything and u also get the 3 year warranty instead of standard 1 year :apple: :D

I think the standard edu discount is about 5-6%
- it's worth finding someone at uni as He discount is about 13%. I got high end 27" with top CPU & GPU as well as Magic Trackpad and paid 1796, think would be about 2100 otherwise.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I thought it was only $100 off? I did not know they gave a % off? :confused:

Nah its a % though its a bit more complicated, BTO options have different discounts depending on which uni etc.

Put it in perspective, the BTO option I want normally is £3019, but with my relatives discount from a typical UK uni it goes down to £2700!!

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
I think the standard edu discount is about 5-6%
- it's worth finding someone at uni as He discount is about 13%. I got high end 27" with top CPU & GPU as well as Magic Trackpad and paid 1796, think would be about 2100 otherwise.
I dont know I got a big discount from that link the price i paid was
£1,495.20 incl. VAT for the "27 iMac with Fusion 1TB when the price from the standard store would have been £1,699.01 incl. VAT :apple:

----------

Add on the extra 2 year warranty and its a big saving :D

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Why the heck does apple happily let you do this? I literally asked the rep "can I give my cousin the money to buy my iMac" and they said SUUURE ITS FINE

Arent they losing so much money because of this?!

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Why the heck does apple happily let you do this? I literally asked the rep "can I give my cousin the money to buy my iMac" and they said SUUURE ITS FINE

They don't pay for it. They get the money back basically from the government. (Or it just comes out of their taxes they have to pay)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
They don't pay for it. They get the money back basically from the government. (Or it just comes out of their taxes they have to pay)
They just take a lower margin on educational buyers. The number of computers any one person can buy per year is limited. Government has nothing to do with it.

Kiole

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
I bought two 27inch iMacs with the education discount at one time and had no issues. Your only supposed to get one a year but they shipped them both no issues.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Quidco says you cant get cashback for iMacs

Yep the 'new' iMac at full price - this will probably change once its been out for a while. You can get the previous model imac- a bargain in the refurb + quidco cashback works for the refurb store (but not nus extra)

It's usually all macs etc... I always buy apple refurb or off eBay

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Yeah it doesn't ask you for verification. In the store a employee might ask you for your school ID.

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
I love the discount from Apple from the educational store and it just goes to show how great Apple are for allowing this for people :apple:

mlamb64150

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
Isle of Man
I purchased my MBP 17 late 2009 with Higher EDU discount. I needed to only provide the name of a student and where they studied.

Awesome :D

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I'm retired military and always get the government discount. Apple has never checked either. Student/military or not, it's a great way to save money. The worst thing that will happen is that they will simply charge your credit card the extra amount if you can't prove anything.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011

They write it off, as well as the fact that they're already overcharging you by over 100 percent. They're not losing anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.