Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I'd like to make my iPad a laptop replacement, but I'm in need of certain apps that can do what I need. I know there alot of there, but which one is the best for my money?

I need to edit Office docs and powerpoints, maybe excel spreadsheets as well. I used CloudOn, but I don't like how it needs the internet. I'd need it to either email to myself or save to DropBox.

As for PDF's, I use Adobe PDF Reader and find it really good. Is there an app that's better? I'd need to fill out PDF's, write on them, and all that stuff.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
An Ipad is not and never will be a laptop replacement. You can purchase apps which will do the tasks you describe, but it's a complimentary device, not a replacement.

For your described requirements:

Pages ( word Processing, will open MS Word documents)

Numbers ( spreadsheets, will open MS excel documents)

Keynote ( Presentations, Powerpoint compatible.)

There are many more in the app store, but most who have tried to use an Ipad as a laptop have had to admit that it really isn't possible to do everything that a laptop would.

I'm not knocking the iPad, I own one, but I also have an MBP and an Air, they all work together. I can't envisage a situation where just the Ipad would suffice in a work based environment.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I understand, but when I travel I'm just doing simple editing and creating a simple powerpoint and then I upload it to work's database.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I understand, but when I travel I'm just doing simple editing and creating a simple powerpoint and then I upload it to work's database.

You call those things "simple", that's because a laptop makes those things simple. Try doing that from a toaster, not so simple.

Just because one device makes something simple doesn't mean the task is simple for every device.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
You call those things "simple", that's because a laptop makes those things simple. Try doing that from a toaster, not so simple.

Just because one device makes something simple doesn't mean the task is simple for every device.

A toaster can't do word processing,

an iPad can.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Look into Google Drive. That has offline mode, and you can export to the Office formats on the web version. Spreadsheet editing was just added the last update.

Office for iPad won't be out until next year.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012

I just used CloudOn to fill out a PDF and word document. Only thing that annoyed me was I had to be online, which wouldn't be a problem since I was in the hotel, but when I was in the vehicle I couldn't really do much. I'd rather get back to my hotel and not have to continue working. No need for a smart ass comment.

I called it simple because the powerpoint will be white and all I have to do is add pictures and a text.

A toaster can't do word processing,

an iPad can.

Look into Google Drive. That has offline mode, and you can export to the Office formats on the web version. Spreadsheet editing was just added the last update.

Office for iPad won't be out until next year.

I'll check it out. Thank you.

Office for iPad I heard will have limited features?

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use iAnnotate to work with PDFs (although WritePDF might be a better alternative for you if you are filling in forms).

DocsToGo and QuickOffice for Office docs on the go, Pages for creating new docs on the go.

IThoughtsHD, Notability and Evernote for note taking.

OmniFocus and SmallTask for task management.

Agenda as my calendar.

Sente and DropBox for PDF management.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Just what I wanted, recommendations!

Thank you. Is Adobe Reader not good enough to fill out forms? Reason I ask is because I pulled up a PDF and was able to highlight things and annotate.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Just what I wanted, recommendations!

Thank you. Is Adobe Reader not good enough to fill out forms? Reason I ask is because I pulled up a PDF and was able to highlight things and annotate.

If it works for what you need, it's good enough!

slwiser

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I would ask one additional basic question. Are you coming from a Mac to the iPad or a Windows desktop? If the Mac your good to go because you understand the limitations of the iPad/Mac world, but if you are coming from the Windows world you will not be very productive.

It will be a whole new way of thinking using the iPad. You will be very limited to what you may be able to do with the iPad...Just know that it seems to me that nothing within the iPad speaks to anything else within the iPad. An iPad app product is nothing on the iPad. It only becomes something once you drop the application product somewhere off the iPad. I have learned that there is no file system within the iOS world such that a file can be moved to another application. It is only the applications product as a hard copy that is available to you and only once it leaves the iPad somehow.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
For office files we use Polaris in our company. It does quite a god job on PPT and Excel. Of course it runs into limits but a bit later compared to iWorks.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I can't envisage a situation where just the Ipad would suffice in a work based environment.

In my company our global CEO requested a single device policy for our field force. It require a change people working. Actually reduce the number of EXCEL files send around by email, go into a solid backend system/private cloud.
And using newly created digital content for marketing.
We finished the rollout for our part; some apps still to be deliverd. Ask me in six month if we were successful :confused:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I would ask one additional basic question. Are you coming from a Mac to the iPad or a Windows desktop? If the Mac your good to go because you understand the limitations of the iPad/Mac world, but if you are coming from the Windows world you will not be very productive.

I'm proud to say I left Windows back in 2010.

I just need to make simple power points, pictures and then a description to the pictures, that's it.

For office files we use Polaris in our company. It does quite a god job on PPT and Excel. Of course it runs into limits but a bit later compared to iWorks.

Just looked at it, looks pretty good. To bad they don't have a free edition to try it out. $13 for an app is pricey.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I can't envisage a situation where just the Ipad would suffice in a work based environment.

This means the iPad, or your imagination, is inadequate. Sales people showing presentations to potential customers, presentations prepared by others or prepared by the sales staff who have access to a virtual desktop via the iPad.

slwiser

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I'm proud to say I left Windows back in 2010.

I just need to make simple power points, pictures and then a description to the pictures, that's it.

I want to get there too...I just need to understand better the iOS world. I just found an article that reset my expectations and now I can better manage them regarding what I think I can do on my iPad. I really like the security features of being locked down so well but just need to better understand the iOS environment.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Being sarcastic about "being locked down"?

Last edited:

slwiser

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Being sarcastic about "being locked down"?

Not that I was aware of...it is locked down as I understand it. That is what the strong "sandbox" concept does for all apps. No app can see another apps document subfolder under that other app. If you want to see an app's document in another app one has to take it out off the system and bring it back in, that is if the second app can read the first app's document off system location.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
An Ipad is not and never will be a laptop replacement. You can purchase apps which will do the tasks you describe, but it's a complimentary device, not a replacement.
Hm, I had to pay for my iPad...

Try complementary. :D

Whether it's complementary or a replacement is really a subjective matter. There are those using it without a computer whether you do or not.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I have a question, is there an app that will let me transfer from a computer to iPad just by connecting via IP:port? I have some documents I'd like to put onto my iPad, that way I don't have to email or put them on dropbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.