Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
First off, I AM NOT ripping apple or the iPhone.

I'm just a self described tech geek (like most here prolly are). I have every type of device apple makes, so again, not ripping.

Just wondering if I'm the only one here who has thought about (or has) purchased an S3, just because. And by that I mean, to have two devices. I have little experience with an S3 or any droid device for that matter, but they've come a long way. I'm glad to see Samsung giving apple some legitimate competition. We all benefit from that. What little I have played with the S3 I really like.

So, anyone here have both? Having the shared plan from AT&T I'd only be paying about 30/month extra.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have owned both at the same time but once I got the S3 I stopped using my 4S. I don't like using 2 phones at the same time.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Too much cash at hand?

Though a user of both phones will be able to pick out the advantages and disadvantages of both phones and operating system.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm currently trying to do that with a Nexus 4 and HTC 8X :p

Haha Android and Windows Phone 8 eh? I have yet to try out WP8, but the interface looks sleek and it is very fluid from some videos I saw. How's the experience?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I've considered it.

S3's can be picked up used for around $350 locally so price isn't a huge factor.

Mostly I've been waiting for Jelly Bean to see if it smooths out performance on the gimped Qualcomm powered USA iteration. I'd consider an ROW S3 I9300, but LTE just went up in my city, and I am already addicted to it.

Or I might just sit on the sidelines and wait for the S4, which is only about 22 weeks away. I'd spring for an S4 full price if it is Exynos, and no blah AMOLED display.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I almost fit into the category you're asking about. I've owned a Note I for almost a year, and recently acquired a used iPhone S4. I use the iPhone for work, to sync with my email and calendar there (I didn't want to mix business and personal use, and my work won't sync with my carrier). So I got a pay-as-you-go card for the iPhone on a compatible carrier and don't use the iPhone for much else.

I really, really want to like the iPhone enough to go over to it completely. I like Android, but I love the way the Apple ecosystem communicates between its devices. But for personal use, I've gotten too attached to the ease of widgets (one click directly from the home screen for whatever I want) and the size of the screen.

So yeah, I use two phones, Samsung and Apple. And I agree, the competition benefits us all, regardless of which platform we prefer.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I almost fit into the category you're asking about. I've owned a Note I for almost a year, and recently acquired a used iPhone S4. I use the iPhone for work, to sync with my email and calendar there (I didn't want to mix business and personal use, and my work won't sync with my carrier). So I got a pay-as-you-go card for the iPhone on a compatible carrier and don't use the iPhone for much else.

I really, really want to like the iPhone enough to go over to it completely. I like Android, but I love the way the Apple ecosystem communicates between its devices. But for personal use, I've gotten too attached to the ease of widgets (one click directly from the home screen for whatever I want) and the size of the screen.

So yeah, I use two phones, Samsung and Apple. And I agree, the competition benefits us all, regardless of which platform we prefer.

Tell me where to get a iPhone S4, I want one too.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
OP, I have an iPhone 5 (personal) and a Galaxy S3 (work) and I am currently using both

Coming from the iPhone, to the S3 (Sprint with Jellybean) has taken a bit of getting used to, it doesn't always work the way I think it should... not that it is bad, it just isn't intuitive coming from the iPhone in some cases

Cross platform apps (Evernote, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, ESPN scores, all have the same general look and feel and work basically the same

The S3 does have a very different look and feel to it, and the bigger screen is helpful when using Evernote, but overall, the big screen isn't a big deal at all to me

The S3 isn't huge and cumbersome as some complain, and it can be managed with one hand without too much difficulty

One of the biggest issues I have has nothing really to do with the S3 but with Sprint. Coverage in my area is really bad, so it drops its signal constantly, it is slowwwwww and is totally unreliable. My iPhone is AT&T and it has consistent LTE coverage and is awesome. But my company plan requires Sprint, so I am stuck with them.

Having used both, I think they are both nice gadgets/tools that do the job in basically the same way. It comes down to personal preferences, such as the smaller phone v. big screen, certain customizations and such, but nothing totally earth shattering to me. I don't think iOS and the iPhone is outdated or behind, nor do I think the iPhone 5 blows Android/Jellybean/S3 away. They are just different ways of doing the same thing.

I will say the S3 has crashed several times and required a restart, whereas my iPhone rarely has an issue at all. I know that isn't everyone's experience, but it is an observation I have had.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Haha Android and Windows Phone 8 eh? I have yet to try out WP8, but the interface looks sleek and it is very fluid from some videos I saw. How's the experience?

It's very refreshing but there are some things missing that are a bit frustrating. There's no easy way to toggle between ringtone, vibrate and silent. That's not a major issue but what is, is that some apps don't obey whatever profile you're in so I'm using an instant messaging app and I get notification sounds even when in vibrate or silent...

Whatsapp isn't available and I rely on that to communicate with everyone I know. Another alternative I can use is Viber but that doesn't work with a lot of my contacts, they can text me but I can't texts them.

I'll probably go back to my Nexus 4 tonight until I sort some things out.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It's very refreshing but there are some things missing that are a bit frustrating. There's no easy way to toggle between ringtone, vibrate and silent. That's not a major issue but what is, is that some apps don't obey whatever profile you're in so I'm using an instant messaging app and I get notification sounds even when in vibrate or silent...

Whatsapp isn't available and I rely on that to communicate with everyone I know. Another alternative I can use is Viber but that doesn't work with a lot of my contacts, they can text me but I can't texts them.

I'll probably go back to my Nexus 4 tonight until I sort some things out.

Good news, Whatsapp is now available for windows phone 8: http://www.wpcentral.com/whatsapp-windows-phone-8-now-available

The Nexus 4 is also one of the best Android phones out there right now :)

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Sounds like your company needs to get out of 2004 and wake up
Same situation I have an IPhone 5 for personal and a Sprint G3 for work. If I could port IOS onto the G3 for me that would be the perfect phone. Having Google maps and cards lite on IOS now is great. Jelly Bean is very close to IOS in function and polish. Poorly written Or not updated Android apps are the biggest problem now. Sprint bashing, meh

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have both an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4, though I'm not using them simultaneously. I've had every iteration of iPhone but tried a Galaxy Nexus earlier this year and my time with Jelly Bean was enough to convince me to pick up a Nexus 4. I'm going to use it for a month or so to see if it warrants replacing my iPhone 5 permanently. My early impressions are mixed but a lot of it has to do with my immersion in the Apple ecosystem--the Nexus 4 itself is a very good device. I'll share my experience sometime next month in case anyone is actually interested.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks all. Glad to see I'm not the only "sick" one. 5 years ago, iPhone was IT. There was really meaningful competition. now, 5 years later, the others are maturing into viable alternatives and even better, hopefully, keeping Apple from resting on it's laurels.

What I'm considering doing it parting with my iPad mini and replacing it with the S3 or even waiting for the S4 next year. Not in any hurry for sure.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Well unless I talk myself off the cliff I'm getting the s3 tomorrow.

With that said couple of questions for those with the S3.

In regards to music.....is it possible to use my iTunes library I've cleaned and cleaned for years to get perfect? I'm not sure how the metadata is saved, if its in iTunes itself or the mp3 files.

Also, how's the s3 for reading books (via a Kindle app)? One way of selling this to the wife is, I may sell my iPad mini, which I use as my eReader.

Thanks

xjosh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Denmark
I have both the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3.

I only use my iPhone 5 because of the Apple Ecosystem. I rely alot on iMessage and AirPlay.

FlexPen76

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Well unless I talk myself off the cliff I'm getting the s3 tomorrow.

With that said couple of questions for those with the S3.

In regards to music.....is it possible to use my iTunes library I've cleaned and cleaned for years to get perfect? I'm not sure how the metadata is saved, if its in iTunes itself or the mp3 files.

Also, how's the s3 for reading books (via a Kindle app)? One way of selling this to the wife is, I may sell my iPad mini, which I use as my eReader.

Thanks

Check out isyncr. Plugs into your iTunes library and playlists. Works like a charm for me. Not sure about the books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.