Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I gave this a go on my 2012 MacBook Air. The first boot from "EFI Boot" resulted in a restart after a little while, as expected, and I also received a black screen shortly after the second boot. I left it there for just a few minutes before doing a hard shutdown. Should I wait longer?

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
UPDATE! I got it to work by going into recovery mode, moving igdkmd64.sys to the root of the main Windows partition.

And for what it's worth, Windows 8 takes 3 seconds to bootup: http://youtu.be/qZCl_E9NHKs

Also @mac-hacks: Is it alright if I rewrite your tutorial? You'll get credit, but I just wanted to reorganize it a bit. Some of the information, at least in my case, wasn't necessary.

Last edited:

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami
UPDATE! I got it to work by going into recovery mode, moving igdkmd64.sys to the root of the main Windows partition.

And for what it's worth, Windows 8 takes 3 seconds to bootup: http://youtu.be/qZCl_E9NHKs

Also @mac-hacks: Is it alright if I rewrite your tutorial? You'll get credit, but I just wanted to reorganize it a bit. Some of the information, at least in my case, wasn't necessary.

Sure, feel free. I haven't had time to update it or try re-install with current beta driver's.

I would highlight hardware specifications and let user know depending on model, year made, & 3rd party upgrades (SSD, GPU, & etc...) guide might not work. Example: 2011+ Mac's use SATA III w/ 2 different GPU depending on year. Im not sure if it works with Nvidia card or IntellHD 4000. 2010 MacPro-current use true x64EFI, i think 2008 is when 86-64x EFI was introduced. Depending on firmware model uses for it's hardware will cause different procedure or may not even be compatible. They should research online and even check for issue PC user with same hardware are having.

Last edited:

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
There are very few people who are actually trying this out, so hardware help seems extremely limited.

My current problem is that my single HD 4000 doesn't work, and neither does audio.

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami
That's for Mac OS X, not Windows, and is for people who are hackintoshing. I'm doing quite the opposite :cool:.

true, but it shows how to tweak driver. It's been over 9 months without fix. And its waiting game at this point. User are hopeing Apple or Developer will releases fix. I doubt AMD is going to update there driver's for Apple now that all new OS X will be using NVIDIA. Intel already said it's not there problem or concern and to take up issue with Apple. If you look at post on there support page.

I hardly use Windows and it's not big deal for me. Personally, I think Windows 8 sucks along with rest of Microsoft past O.S.'s. I have few clients that use Boot Camp for various reasons. Some times I have to use Windows for trouble shooting only reason I have it install.

Last edited:

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
true, but it shows how to tweak driver. It's been over 9 months without fix. And its waiting game at this point. User are hopping Apple or Developer will releases fix. I doubt AMD is going to update there driver's for Apple now that all new OS X will be using NVIDIA. Intel already said it's not there problem or concern and to take up issue with Apple. If you look at post on there support page.

I hardly use Windows and it's not big deal for me. Personally, I think Windows 8 sucks along with rest of Microsoft past O.S.'s. I have few clients that use Boot Camp for various reasons. Some times I have to use Windows for trouble shooting only reason I have it install.

This doesn't seem to be an issue with Intel, but rather an issue with Apple and their implementation of EFI. As I said, all hardware works fine via Boot Camp, but obviously not with EFI.

cutter74

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
As I said, all hardware works fine via Boot Camp, but obviously not with EFI.

Actually, the HD Audio device in Windows 8 does not work even in Bootcamp in the new Mac mini. Still waiting for Apple to officially support Windows 8, so if you want to run Windows, W7 is the safe choice for the time being.

Shelltoe

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
I hardly use Windows and it's not big deal for me. Personally, I think Windows 8 sucks along with rest of Microsoft past O.S.'s.
It does, though Win8 EFI mode is the easiest/only way setting up an eGPU via Thunderbolt as far as I know, which improves eg. videoediting performance by a factor of 4.

This doesn't seem to be an issue with Intel, but rather an issue with Apple and their implementation of EFI. As I said, all hardware works fine via Boot Camp, but obviously not with EFI.

Are you sure? Any source? Lots of ppl report similar problems for PC-Systems on Intel forums.
Additionaly developers already found a fix/workaround for Linux Intel drivers. As far as I know Intel drivers mess up Bits per Pixel. It seems to be a problem using Intel HD with EFI but not really an EFI problem.

Last edited:

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Are you sure? Any source? Lots of ppl report similar problems for PC-Systems on Intel forums.
Additionaly developers already found a fix/workaround for Linux Intel drivers. As far as I know Intel drivers mess up Bits per Pixel. It seems to be a problem using Intel HD with EFI but not really an EFI problem.

Yes, it's an EFI issue. As mentioned, graphics and audio issues aren't present, at least for me, when booting in non-EFI mode. EFI mode? Audio and graphics issues galore. I imagine that messing with the PCI register could get it all working, but that's difficult to mess with. An EFI update from Apple could possibly fix all of this.

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami
Yes, it's an EFI issue. As mentioned, graphics and audio issues aren't present, at least for me, when booting in non-EFI mode. EFI mode? Audio and graphics issues galore. I imagine that messing with the PCI register could get it all working, but that's difficult to mess with. An EFI update from Apple could possibly fix all of this.

It's all above, Apple cares about iOS and drop there standards for OS X. Intel last few years seems like they were pushing out products and letting customers pay them to beta test. Sandy Bridge and SATA III was nightmare and thunderbolt just now starting to see light of day and verdict still up in air on it. ATI should have never partner with AMD. Market so competitive for them to care about fixing any issue on old releases. There focus on getting the next line out. We customers are force to work with half-ass equipment....

Any chance you guys try AMD catalyst 12.12 (9.010.0) for Embedded GPU/APU-12.11.06

I have had chance to re-install W8 yet. I just notice this update.

;-----------------------------------------------
;----------1212031852-9.01-121106a-150333C-EDG_Direct
; ATI Display Information file : atiilhag.inf
;
; Installation INF for the ATI display driver.
; Copyright(C) 1998-2006 ATI Technologies Inc.
;-----------------------------------------------
; PX - PX Proxy mode
; PR - PX Proxy Ready

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Provider=%ATI%
ClassGUID={4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Display
DriverVer=11/06/2012, 9.010.0.0000 ----> Dated from November 6,2012

Supported products :

AMD6743.1 = "AMD Radeon E6760"
AMD9804.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics"
AMD9805.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics"
AMD9807.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6290 Graphics"
AMD9803.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics"
AMD9802.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics"
AMD9806.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics"
AMD6720.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series"
AMD9994.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7400G"
AMD99A4.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7400G"
AMD9992.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7420G"
AMD9993.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7480D"
AMD990A.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7500G"
AMD9919.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7500G"
AMD9990.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7520G"
AMD99A0.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7520G"
AMD9991.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7540D"
AMD9904.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7560D"
AMD9908.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7600G"
AMD9918.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7600G"
AMD9907.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7620G"
AMD9917.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7620G"
AMD9903.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7640G"
AMD9913.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7640G"
AMD9901.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7660D"
AMD9900.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7660G"
AMD9910.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7660G"
AMD6819.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series"
AMD6800.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7970M"
AMD6763.1 = "AMD Radeon HD6460"
AMD68B8.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series"

For now,download them bellow right here :

Vista/Win7 x32/x64 : (381,93 mo)
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/embedded/9. ... Direct.zip

Win8 x32/x64 : (375,02 mo)

Linux : (109,49 mo)

AMD Catalyst 12.12 Proprietary Linux x86 and x86_64 Display Driver

Description:
Automated installer and Display Drivers for X.Org 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, or 7.6

Last edited:

Shelltoe

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012

I mean... you said it's a problem with Apples EFI which is doesn't seem to be true as it happens to UEFI PC-Systems aswell. There are fixes for some PC-Systems aswell as a Linux workaround. It seems to be Intel messing up their EFI settings.

I don't think it can be fixed by setting pci registars as I allready tried this with an developer of Linux's apple-gmux driver. Thats how I managed to enable my eGPU + Graphics Switching and boot with Intel HD as primary VGA device (using basic display drivers). I'm actually pretty deep into this and with working Intel Drivers I'd certainly allready have Optimus up an running.

If someone has a MB (especially MBP 15/17") and Windows in BIOS mode we could try if my current config works for BIOS mode. I don't want to mess with my EFI installation for now (atleast until X-mas). So if some is willing to give this a try msg me or take a look at the thread regarding my mit eGPU. Some commands might need to be changed for pre 2012 models as they introduced a message box interface.

Last edited:

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I mean... you said it's a problem with Apples EFI which is doesn't seem to be true as it happens to UEFI PC-Systems aswell. There are fixes for some PC-Systems aswell as a Linux workaround. It seems to be Intel messing up their EFI settings.

I don't think it can be fixed by setting pci registars as I allready tried this with an developer of Linux's apple-gmux driver. Thats how I managed to enable Graphics switching and boot with Intel HD as primary VGA device (using basic display drivers).

If someone has a MB and Windows in BIOS mode we could try if my current config works for BIOS mode. I don't want to mess with my EFI installation for now. So if some is willing to give this a try msg me or take a look at the thread regarding my mit eGPU.

Hmm... Then it'd be weird how everything works fine via BIOS but not via EFI. Oh well. I'm just happy that my BIOS installation is working normally, as expected. Just hope that someone, either Intel, Cirrus Logic, or Apple, gets their EFI stuff sorted out. I just can't stand the horribly long boot times because of the typical Apple "black screen for 15~ seconds" thing.

Shelltoe

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
The Cirrus logic device is connected to the Intel Chipset. I guess its not their fault at all.

Keep in mind by installing BIOS mode you have always an emulation layer between your actually EFI and windows.

Shelltoe

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Yeah ;) and as nearly every MB bringts new hardware you'll allways be a beta tester :D

We'll I don't mind. EFI install of Windows isn't really intended by Apple. I think it's great my eGPU works by doing so.

Who knows maybe with an upcoming update of Bootcamp drivers all problems will be fixed and I can drive my internal retina display with some really powerfull GPU which would be plain awesome. :)

Having 150-200% improved GPU performance on an external screen is already pretty nice.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Yeah ;) and as nearly every MB bringts new hardware you'll allways be a beta tester :D

We'll I don't mind. EFI install of Windows isn't really intended by Apple. I think it's great my eGPU works by doing so.

Who knows maybe with an upcoming update of Bootcamp drivers all problems will be fixed and I can drive my internal retina display with some really powerfull GPU which would be plain awesome. :)

Having 150-200% improved GPU performance on an external screen is already pretty nice.

Yeah, but isn't the 10Gbps Thunderbolt connection technically a huge bottleneck?

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami

I'll be happy when I finally get to use OpenGL 4.+. By then it will be up to 5 or 6 ;)

Yeah, but isn't the 10Gbps Thunderbolt connection technically a huge bottleneck?

Considering there not enough hardware out yet to compare on top of software not able to take advantage of speed. Who knows at this point, so far so good compared to SATA III debut.

Last edited:

Shelltoe

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012

Benchmarks show you'll receive around 70-80% compared to a real desktop setup.
I was amazed when I saw the difference between the build-in GT650m compared to an desktop GTX 660 TI used as eGPU (as stated in my first post 2500p compared to 7500p in 3dMark 2011). Improvements will be most noticable with newer techs like DX11 compared to DX9. For DX9 you can push your performance by using PCI compression (1.2opt) but you'll lose performance in newer techs. My device can't even handle full 10GB/s as its limited to PCI-E 2.0 x2(!). PCI-E 2.0 x4 makes use of full 10GB/s (like 10% performance more then mine) but those solutions are totally overpriced (180$ compared to 1000$).

I'll be happy when I finally get to use OpenGL 4.+. By then it will be up to 5 or 6 ;)

Yeah realtime rendering has always been a shame thats why I usually use Windows for this part.

Last edited:

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami
@ besweeet2

Ran quick bench on my Mac mini Mid-2011 i-5, I made into my home server. I have OWC Mercury Helios PCIe Expansion Chassis with cheap High Point PCIe 2700 SAS Controller. 8 x 1TB HDD in RAID 5/0. This should give you idea.

Code:
DiskTester 2.2b2 64-bit, diglloydTools 2.2b2, 2012-02-23 21:54
Copyright 2006-2012 DIGLLOYD INC. All Rights Reserved
Use of this software requires a license. See http://macperformanceguide.com/Software-License.html

Mac OS X 10.8.2, 4 CPU cores, 16384MB memory
Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:58:23 PM Pacific Standard Time

disktester run-area-test --xfer 4M --test-size 2G --iterations 5 Z2

Allocating maximum size contiguous file on "Z2" (3.64TB)…1.63TB (44.7% of volume size)

NOTE:
(1) Contiguous space equal to 44.7% of volume "Z2" was allocated. Depending on the location of the contiguous space (which disktester cannot determine), TOP SPEED MIGHT BE AS MUCH AS 44.2% FASTER (worst case, sequential, hard drives).  To avoid this ambiguity, test a freshly-erased empty volume.

TEMP FILE: /Volumes/Z2/disktester-test/DiskTester-Temporary-Test-File

Using test size of 2GB, 4MB at a time, across a 1.63TB test file.
Testing at: 0%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%

Area 0% (offset 0B)
Iteration 1: writing…309MB/sec, reading…461MB/sec
Iteration 2: writing…334MB/sec, reading…441MB/sec
Iteration 3: writing…331MB/sec, reading…446MB/sec
Iteration 4: writing…322MB/sec, reading…450MB/sec
Iteration 5: writing…333MB/sec, reading…454MB/sec

Area 10% (offset 166.5GB)
Iteration 1: writing…318MB/sec, reading…446MB/sec
Iteration 2: writing…328MB/sec, reading…460MB/sec
Iteration 3: writing…321MB/sec, reading…449MB/sec
Iteration 4: writing…329MB/sec, reading…438MB/sec
Iteration 5: writing…330MB/sec, reading…448MB/sec

Area 20% (offset 333.0GB)
Iteration 1: writing…319MB/sec, reading…465MB/sec
Iteration 2: writing…315MB/sec, reading…465MB/sec
Iteration 3: writing…323MB/sec, reading…460MB/sec
Iteration 4: writing…319MB/sec, reading…453MB/sec
Iteration 5: writing…335MB/sec, reading…463MB/sec

Area 30% (offset 499.5GB)
Iteration 1: writing…307MB/sec, reading…442MB/sec
Iteration 2: writing…305MB/sec, reading…447MB/sec
Iteration 3: writing…311MB/sec, reading…438MB/sec
Iteration 4: writing…310MB/sec, reading…459MB/sec
Iteration 5: writing…297MB/sec, reading…424MB/sec

Area 40% (offset 666.0GB)
Iteration 1: writing…311MB/sec, reading…443MB/sec
Iteration 2: writing…

The DiskTester engine has been signaled to stop, allow a few seconds for it to clean up and exit.

Shelltoe

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
to bad most out of the box solutions (OWC / Sonnet) can't handle gpus because of the limited power supply.

rockinrobstar

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I have set up a wiki at http://www.multiboot.info and I am aiming to gather as much as I can about the specifics of booting various operating systems on various hardware. I would really appreciate if people could go to my wiki and sign up, and post what information that they have found out already about their specific hardware as opposed to have to reading through pages of threads to find answers! Hopefully over these christmas holidays I will have time to add much more content to this site but the communities help would be very welcome.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I have set up a wiki at http://www.multiboot.info and I am aiming to gather as much as I can about the specifics of booting various operating systems on various hardware. I would really appreciate if people could go to my wiki and sign up, and post what information that they have found out already about their specific hardware as opposed to have to reading through pages of threads to find answers! Hopefully over these christmas holidays I will have time to add much more content to this site but the communities help would be very welcome.

I registered, but I've never edited any sort of Wiki before, so I have no idea how to edit pages (if that ability was even given to me yet).

neulbomi

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Korea, Ansan
For iMac 9.1 users

Alternative Install method for Windows 8 RTM x64 Booting UEFI

1. Start off by resetting VRAM/PRAM x 3 (MBP reboots x3 while holding Command-Option-P-R)
  2. Hold "Option" on last VRAM/PRAM BOOT to load "Boot" menu.
  3. Select Grey "HD" label "EFI" from "Boot" menu.
  4. Windows 8 starts loading. You will see Splash Screen for about 15 Second. During "loading settings"It will get around 30% then monitor goes black & few minutes later it reboots.
  5. Next Windows 8 Boot, same 15 second Splash screen starts loading and monitor goes BLACK.
  6. Be patient do not touch mouse or keys and wait around 10+ minutes.
  7. Hit "Enter" few times, it should power off.
  8. Give it at least 15 minutes and force shutdown if it does not power-off.
  9. Depending on your Mac processor speed, it could take longer.
  10. Boot OS X (Hold "Option", select OS X partition from "Boot" menu)
  11. Install Paragon Tools NTSC free trial
  12. Enable right access to Windows Partitionby enable driver found in System Preference/Paragon NTSC.
  13. Remove /Windows/System32/ Driver/igdkm64.sys
  14. Disable Intel HD 3000 Driver on 1st boot, Windows 8.

Easiest way to do this;

1. From Windows 8 Metro Menu,
  2. Select Desktop
  3. right click on Start Menu
  4. select Device Manger
  5. Select Display
  6. Right click on Intel Driver
  7. select Disable

• igdkm64.sys will restore to your /Driver folder on next boot if you do not disable it.
  • It's system default driver.
  • Only issue running Windows 8 RTM Pro on MacBook Pro 2011 is GPU Drivers, you will have to use Microsoft Basic Display Driver until Apple, AMD or Intel drivers are compatible.

If your looking for ubuntu guide, that use to be attach to this thread. You can find it here on my personal blog I just started.

I found my iMac doesn't have intel HD graphics, just have Nvidia GT130M, so I couldn't find 'igdkm64.sys' in System32 folder. But I found 'nvlddmkm.sys' did crash instead of it.
If someone had same iMac like me, I would recommend you to remove nvlddmkm.sys or rename it as nvlddmkm.sys.old and do the same thing on Device manage, make Nvidia graphic driver not to use.
Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.