Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I recently got a desktop mac, and would like to keep one iPhoto library between it and my macbook.

I selected Cubby to do the work. Cubby is just like dropbox, but you don't need to send your data to the cloud (you can if you want). So my pictures are "sync'd" nicely between both my computers. Change it on one, and it gets updated on the other.

It seems to work, but I've had bad experiences with iPhoto libraries in the past. Anyone have any tests I should try? I did the basics (create, update, delete) and it all seems to work. Obviously one thing I will not be doing is using both Mac's at the same time...

Does anyone have a different solution to this?

saketbash

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
I recently got a desktop mac, and would like to keep one iPhoto library between it and my macbook.

I selected Cubby to do the work. Cubby is just like dropbox, but you don't need to send your data to the cloud (you can if you want). So my pictures are "sync'd" nicely between both my computers. Change it on one, and it gets updated on the other.

It seems to work, but I've had bad experiences with iPhoto libraries in the past. Anyone have any tests I should try? I did the basics (create, update, delete) and it all seems to work. Obviously one thing I will not be doing is using both Mac's at the same time...

Does anyone have a different solution to this?

I'm looking to do the exact same thing! I'm setting up everything now and will be testing this over the next couple of days to see what (if any) flaws/risks are involved. During the testing, I'll keep a separate copy of the library as well as backup the library used for testing often just in case. If you notice anything please keep the thread updated. I will do the same!

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I'm looking to do the exact same thing! I'm setting up everything now and will be testing this over the next couple of days to see what (if any) flaws/risks are involved. During the testing, I'll keep a separate copy of the library as well as backup the library used for testing often just in case. If you notice anything please keep the thread updated. I will do the same!

I used this setup for a couple weeks and didn't have problems. I was always careful to only have one iphoto open at a time, and made sure any synchronizing was complete before opening the other side.

I've since abandoned this, though, as the Cubby client for Mac takes a good 4 to 5% CPU when idle (even with no files in any cubby!). Compare this to dropbox which idles at 0.1%.

I think my next attempt at sharing my pictures across systems will be with PhoShare. This is a smart export from iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.