Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
2011 Thunderbolt Mac mini Server
Quad core 2.0GHz i7
16GB RAM
256GB SSD (internal)
750GB HDD (also internal)
Extended AppleCare until Nov. 2014

How much do you think it's worth?

Thanks.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
Thanks. Didn't realize there was a separate section for this kind of topic.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
here is a refurb for 759 with almost no extras at all.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini

This is a case of weird Apple pricing. Quad core options trickled down to the $800 mark this year, yet the prior model just goes by their typical logic. This was the case with the mac pro for a little while. At one point the 2010 configuration of the 6 core was listed slightly higher than a new one prior to correction as they just applied the usual one generation out of date refurbished rate.

Is there any reason you couldn't go for a quad 2012 and tack on OSX server if you want it? The extra drive wouldn't cost much, although they look annoying to upgrade. I'd suggest those upgrades won't carry through to used value too well. 16GB of ram has dropped off a cliff in pricing, and that has to be third party ram as Apple never offered such a configuration. The 256GB ssd costs a lot through Apple. Applecare is appealing. If the OP wants a lot for it, it may take some time to find the right buyer. I'm a little surprised they take that much on ebay.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
This is a case of weird Apple pricing. Quad core options trickled down to the $800 mark this year, yet the prior model just goes by their typical logic. This was the case with the mac pro for a little while. At one point the 2010 configuration of the 6 core was listed slightly higher than a new one prior to correction as they just applied the usual one generation out of date refurbished rate.

Is there any reason you couldn't go for a quad 2012 and tack on OSX server if you want it? The extra drive wouldn't cost much, although they look annoying to upgrade. I'd suggest those upgrades won't carry through to used value too well. 16GB of ram has dropped off a cliff in pricing, and that has to be third party ram as Apple never offered such a configuration. The 256GB ssd costs a lot through Apple. Applecare is appealing. If the OP wants a lot for it, it may take some time to find the right buyer. I'm a little surprised they take that much on ebay.

yeah it is funky the refurbs pricing can be very weird.

here is a 2012 quad server with a 256gb ssd 16gb ram and apple care. 1648 plus tax.

not sure if it has the ssd and the hdd or just the ssd. if the op says at a thousand you save a lot over the 2012 some ebayer may grab it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.21.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.21.06 AM.png
    507.4 KB · Views: 91

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
yeah it is funky the refurbs pricing can be very weird.

here is a 2012 quad server with a 256gb ssd 16gb ram and apple care. 1648 plus tax.

not sure if it has the ssd and the hdd or just the ssd. if the op says at a thousand you save a lot over the 2012 some ebayer may grab it.

I have the tendency to do my own upgrades. People who are on the market for a used machine may also be somewhat more predisposed to do so considering that the whole purpose of a used machine is to save money. I also tend to check against the refurbished section, but no 2012 minis are there as of yet.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have the tendency to do my own upgrades. People who are on the market for a used machine may also be somewhat more predisposed to do so considering that the whole purpose of a used machine is to save money. I also tend to check against the refurbished section, but no 2012 minis are there as of yet.

Checking on eBay there is a good market for these upgraded Minis over in the US and I know PhilipMA does make some money out of it. Don't ever underestimate how scary computers are to the general public.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Checking on eBay there is a good market for these upgraded Minis over in the US and I know PhilipMA does make some money out of it. Don't ever underestimate how scary computers are to the general public.

If I was selling this my most likely buyer would be a business owner with a specific need for this much power. Since I pre test and have a good rep I make a lot of sales to audio/video small business owners.

I have sold some gear to hollywood audio guys indies etc. they are not a gear head like myself.

You are not the type I would sell to because you are just like me a Diy guy.

I run the ebay business to feed my Diy addiction.

It has been audio gear now computers. Many diy speakers + amps lots of audiogon sales in the late 1990's early 2000's..

Many minis since 2006. Now playing around with small powerful pc's Shoebox size.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I guess it puzzles me what could possibly be intimidating about some of these things. I suppose the first time people might be a little nervous when they see it takes some force to seat ram and that you have to be careful with things like clips. I could see how the Apple installed ssd with Applecare is more desirable. The drives aren't considered user serviceable. This way if you have any trouble with anything including them, it can go back to Apple. I just view the 2012 as a decent upgrade. The 2013 should be even nicer considering OpenCL 1.2 and OpenGL 4 + increased shader count. Apple really intends it to be a machine that runs on integrated graphics, so that will be a nice update. It would be even better if they'd adjust the design of the airflow for better cooling. The other thing with the minis is while they use notebook parts, they lack the battery drain issue that you can hit if you run a macbook pro hard for an extended period of time.

You are not the type I would sell to because you are just like me a Diy guy.

I run the ebay business to feed my Diy addiction.

It has been audio gear now computers. Many diy speakers + amps lots of audiogon sales in the late 1990's early 2000's..

Many minis since 2006. Now playing around with small powerful pc's Shoebox size.

That's quite a history. I'll admit it's difficult for me to picture paying more for things that I view as trivial like ram and storage. If I used Windows I might just build from scratch assuming the time to determine what parts to use. I'm curious what you've built up, yet I don't want to dump on the OP's thread. They're definitely desirable upgrades, especially with Applecare.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.