Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ascer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Cool, when you get yours can you post your opinions to please.been busy re-installing OS on my old iMac, new sitting waiting...!

If I can help yes, how will I take the photos or video? In what light etc, what am I to show?

Hi, maybe with pics with after noon sunlight from the front lighting up the screen, some closeups of the screen? And maybe near/far and from various angles of the screen video?

Main purpose is just to see how reflective the new screen is comparable to a matte option

Last edited:

Noddabro

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
Lenexa, KS
hello all and YAY IT SHIPPED!

'sup MacRumors! I've been lurking for years, wanted to join today to share that my iMac, which I ordered on Dec 03, finally shipped yesterday! 21.5" configured with the 3.1GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion, wireless keyboard & Magic Trackpad, my fancy new toy is currently traveling around the world from Shanghai.

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
'sup MacRumors! I've been lurking for years, wanted to join today to share that my iMac, which I ordered on Dec 03, finally shipped yesterday! 21.5" configured with the 3.1GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion, wireless keyboard & Magic Trackpad, my fancy new toy is currently traveling around the world from Shanghai.

Congrats! Exciting times ahead for you I'm sure. Nothing better than getting new, shiny expensive toys...:) enjoy!

Now to try not to check the tracking number 20 times a day! :D

falcon362

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
New York City
The conversion almost complete

I bought my first computer- an 8086 Epson PC with two 5.25" floppy disks, no hard drive and 640k of RAM in 1985.

From that first machine to the Gateway (Acer) sitting under my desk now, I've owned about eight or nine other computers. It's a bit of laundry list of mostly dead names- Northgate, Zeos, the original Gateway, a couple of Dells. Of course, what they all had in common was that they were PCs. From DOS to Windows 3.1 to Windows 8 right now.

But in April of 2011 I bought an iPad2. I waited for the second generation but quickly learned what so many people love about Apple. The next step came just a couple of months ago. After almost 17 years with T-Mobile (and its predecessors Omnipoint and Voicestream) and almost two miserable years with an Android phone (what a horrible mess that is), I switched to Verizon and an iPhone 5. I must say, I use my iPad a lot less because the iPhone is just so good.

All I needed was the iMac to round things out. I really don't have use for a laptop. I had a great opportunity- I work with the theater program at my school and we got a loaded 27" iMac back in June- just as the school year was ending. Instead of it sitting in its box all summer, I was able to sign it out and take home. For two months I got play. There wasn't much software except MS Office. I wish we had Photoshop, etc, but nonetheless, the machine is awesome. Ever since, the 24" Dell monitor on my desk seems small.

It went back to the school of course in early September. But now the real question came, do I pull the trigger on buying my own iMac?

Well, you know the answer was yes. This past Friday, I ordered a 27" iMac with the i7 processor and the the 2gb graphics and a 1TB Fusion Drive. I left the RAM at 8gb seeing how much cheaper it is aftermarket. The only other decision is what optical drive to get- it won't be a SuperDrive- too expensive for what it does.

Anyway, my delivery time is January which is fine. I'm in no rush, and with that billing, I don't actually have to pay the credit card bill for it until late February.

I doubt I'll ever be an Apple fanatic. It is just a product and I've never been one to wait on lines to be the first to have something, but I am excited and hoping that working on photos and videos becomes a lot easier and a lot faster.

Fenn

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Ordered on Nov. 29th -

27-inch iMac

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2G

Arrival date, December 13 :)

Fenn

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
You planning on upgrading your RAM manually?

I would never buy RAM from apple >_> It's just too simple to install yourself and saves you a truck load of money if you do it manually. AND I love supporting my friends over at Other World Computing. :) They always get my money on a RAM purchase as soon as I buy a new machine.

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Order placed today:

27-inch iMac
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Finally received my maxed out 21.5". This thing has been amazing so far, although I must say migration assistant seriously sucks.

Once I got past that, I've been zipping along with the fusion drive. :)

adamcp

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
New York
It's in my house!!!!!

Right now. It is in my house. IN MY HOUSE! (EXCITED!)

A new iMac. My very first one in my life! And it is in the box. (And that is killing me.) I want to make sure that I make the leap from PC correctly and that I do not screw up the Setup! I have been waiting and researching for a long time, and kind of knew that I was going to make the leap, but when they said in the Apple Store on Sunday that the educational discount was $100 for the iMac (when I knew it to be $50), and when they said they would honor the $100 even after I pointed out their mistake to them, I got a little impulse-buy. Very unlike me. :D

I am making the switch from a 2004 Dell PC running Windows XP SP3. Pentium 4 to the 21.5 Base Model 2012 iMac. I know how to milk a PC (Is that good or bad?)

So here is what I have learned about switching and setup, interspersed with my questions:

1. Either connect the new iMac to the router via an ethernet cable for setup or directly connect the PC and the iMac from ethernet port to ethernet port. Would the PC and iMac be able to "see" one another just by being connected to the same router or would they need to be on the same "network" and how would I do that? Run Setup Assistant. Do I still run Migration Assistant on the PC to make the link between the two?

2. Run Setup Assistant on startup, rather than Migration Assistant later or else Migration Assistant will make additional "users" rather than adding to one user (or in my case two, since my wife will have her own user account). Right now I have my iTunes music, photos, and videos all on an NTFS external hard drive. Will Setup Assisitant "see" that hard drive and will it put all the data in the right places on the iMac? Will I need to do that later because it is on an external drive?

3. I had read something about Setup transferring things to the right places when it sees that you have the right software in place. Do I need to get Office for Mac on the machine somewhere in this process so that Setup knows what to do with my files, or will it just put Word files in the Documents folder? Can I get Office onto the computer after the initial Setup without much problem or will I need to deal with "issues"?

4. I do want two user accounts, yes? So that I can see my iMessages, mail, and calendar on my account and my wife can click over and see the same for her on her user side. Or should I NOT do that?

5. After I get the data all moved over, I reformat the external hard drive to HSF+ so that I can use it as a Time Machine backup. I do this only when I am secure about the data being all where it should be because I understand that reformatting the hard drive erases it. In the end state, I should not have anything else on the drive other than the Time Machine backup. Yes?

I am hoping to get all this started on Thursday. So I am like a kid waiting for Christmas despite being in my fourth decade here on Earth!

Thanks in advance for your help. I AM SO EXCITED!

--Adam

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I doesn't matter that much. Just don't transfer the Network settings because the TCP/IP setup is very different in OS X from Windows XP. Don't be afraid on System Preferences and think of the like the old Windows control panel. Pay close attention to System Preferences->Network pane to setup your network settings.

Plus, click on the Desktop so the menu item 'Finder' is in the menu bar and click on the 'Finder' name and select "Preferences". This way you can set hard drives to visually show on your desktop.

Lastly really consider getting the book Switching to the Mac - Mountain Lion (10.8.x) Addition and after using this book you should slide right into OS X with no problem. It also will act like a great reference book you yourself too.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Have you considered having the Apple Store transfer your data for you?

Another easy possibility: Buy an external USB hard drive, format it with FAT32 in Windows (unless you have some >2GB files, then use NTFS), copy the files from your XP machine onto the drive, then physically move the drive to your Mac, copy the files onto your new Mac.

After you're done copying the files, use Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility), repartition the drive to Mac OS X Journaled format, and use the drive as your new Time Machine (backup) drive.

Two birds, one stone. :)

adamcp

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
New York
Thanks satcomer and aaron12

I appreciate your advice.

----------

With Setup Assistant: Right now on my PC I have my iTunes music, photos, and videos all on an NTFS external hard drive. With my new iMac , will Setup Assisitant "see" that hard drive and will it put all the data in the right places on the iMac? Will I need to do that later because it is on an external drive?

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
So if Fedex is not lying, I'll have my iMac by tomorrow and since it's my first one, I should start getting ready to use this bad boy!

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions once it arrives, but right now I'm mostly worried/interested in how you guys setup your drives and install software.

1. I have a windows NTFS-formatted external drive that I'd like to hook up to the iMac but don't want to format it. Earlier in this thread, somebody mentioned that there is an app that allows me to read/write to the drive in its current state. Is this how you guys use it or do you recommend formatting? Reason why I want to keep it as is, is that I still want to be able to switch between my current laptop and the iMac.

2. Fusion drive. In windows, I've always had 2 partitions - Drive C, where I'll install the OS and the programs and Drive D where I put my movies, music, pictures etc. Main reason why I do this is so that in the event that I have to reinstall windows, I don't lose the rest of my data in the process. Can or should I be doing something similar in OSX or is there no such thing as partitions? What happens if I manage to screw up OSX and have to reinstall it? Would I lose data?

3. How and where do I install apps? I keep hearing about these DMG files, but I'm worried that I'll install them in a wrong place and end up cluttering an area of the OS that I shouldn't be cluttering. Also, what is the proper way for uninstalling them?

4. Bootcamp. I want to try it out, but am wondering how it works. Do I create a separate partition on the drive and set it all up there? What if I decide that I no longer want the bootcamp partition. Is it possible to merge it back with the fusion drive?

Docnaz

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
SUPER CONGRATS! I envy that feeling of the first one...

It's like envying people who say they have yet to watch Star Wars or The Godfather... They have so much joy to experience. Haha

I hope it brings you many years of good work and play, no go have a nice, aged glass of scotch and relax in celebration ;)

I haven't watched any but the first 2 Star Wars and none of The Godfather. I am 51, lol. I plan to change that this year.

My husband kept nagging me to switch to Apple, but I resisted because of cost. Then, I bought an iPad (first gen) on impulse about 2 years ago and it has been attached to me since. I now have an iPhone and am planning on getting a 27 inch iMac Question: I know I can upgrade RAM later, but what about all the other options, keyboards and such. I am overwhelmed when I look at the options. I will mostly use the iMac to back up 4 iPads and 3 iPhones, surf the web, keep, download music and videos and maybe let the kids do a few games. What do I need? I am computer illiterate.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Refurbished iMac 27"

I pondered the new iMacs for a few weeks - looking at getting the thinner, flashier 21.5" with 8GB RAM and a fusion drive. If I am going to buy something, I usually like to have the latest and greatest. But after much consideration and realizing that I wasn't going to be able to get out the door for less than $1,700, I went to the refurbished store and got:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Yes it only has 4GB RAM, but it has the faster HDD, SuperDrive and same look head on. Not to mention the bigger screen! I plan on upgrading to 8GB RAM and then I should be set.

Not bad for $1,359 and ordering on 12/11 and receiving it (with standard shipping) on 12/14.

:)

mikeqls

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
bromley, kent , uk
just placed the order for the base 27" model.....plus fusion drive..and ill do the ram to 16 gb... well excited... first mac.... just got to wait patiently now till january!!!!:)

Azlan

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
Just placed an order for a refurb 21.5" with 2.8 Hz i7! :D

On a side note, refurb.me never sent me an email to let me know that the config I wanted was in stock. Fortunately, I'm a micro-manager by nature so I kept the refurb store open on my iPhone and would refresh it occasionally (who am I kidding practically every 15 minutes) throughout the day. I placed my order about twenty minutes ago and still no email from refurb.me. Ohh well, can't expect too much from a free service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.