Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
OP what was the outcome of getting your unit replaced, did Apple hassle you for it? Was yours a BTO?

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
OP what was the outcome of getting your unit replaced, did Apple hassle you for it? Was yours a BTO?

I haven't returned it yet, but I'm still using it as of right now. I will return it before return policy ends.

NJelect

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
I would visit an apple store if within a reasonable distance and compare the dilemma you noticed with another on display; perhaps more than one is on display to gain a good comparison.
Additionally, the purchase of your new computer regarding your decision is really not up to anyone else to determine concerning opinion, the latter includes the Apple rep at the store.

Satisfaction regarding your expensive purchase is totally up to you, should you notice the issue with the display models is "not" sufficient enough to live with.
In the event you dislike the backlight luminance then return it for a refund.

Perhaps, at a future time the issue will be corrected where you will be pleased to the point of a re-purchase.
Finally, keep yourself aware of the allocated return time - don't wait till the last day to return since other obstacles outside of your ability may generate hardship; example: return shipping delay, incorrect return paperwork etc...

Finally, thank you for posting your results - the feedback allocated by the customers is a big help to everyone! :)

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
The only problem with posting photos of the display is that the exposure of the photo can drastically impact how good or bad the bleed appears. Over exposing a photo will make the black screen look worse and the white screen look better.

I'd dare say I could make all of my screens at home (computer, iPhone, iPad, plasma tv) look good AND bad with the right exposure on a photo of them, yet I can't say I've ever noticed an issue with any of them.

Personally, if the screen looks good to the naked eye under normal usage then fine. If not, I'd replace it. Posting photos with auto exposing cameras and/or over posting over or under exposed photos probably puts more fear in people than is needed...IMO of course :)

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Replace it, of course.
But not now.
You request the replacement, they will take your computer.
Then, you gotta wait for the new one when it is available.
That will probably take at least 2 weeks within these 2 months and you might meet the same problem again.
So replace it when it shows 2 - 4 business days for shipping. You will get the new one and very possible a perfect one just for days.
I have suffered this pain before.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
looks normal to me. Watch a movie and if it's ok then it's fine. I don't think this reolsutuon will produce black borders so it should be ok.

younker

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2006
I think there is no perfect displays come from Apple these days, no matter it is iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro w/o Retina display, now the new iMacs show the problem again. I think Apple does really need to improve the quality control on the vendors of Display, especially for LG display.

I recently bought a CTO Macbook Pro High Resolution Anti-Glare one, but I can not say it is perfect after I got the replaced one, the bottom 1/3 part is definitely brighter than the other areas.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I think there is no perfect displays come from Apple these days, no matter it is iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro w/o Retina display, now the new iMacs show the problem again. I think Apple does really need to improve the quality control on the vendors of Display, especially for LG display.

I recently bought a CTO Macbook Pro High Resolution Anti-Glare one, but I can not say it is perfect after I got the replaced one, the bottom 1/3 part is definitely brighter than the other areas.

LG is terrible and sole reason the iPad 2 was a major FAIL screen wise. The iPad 3rd gen were mostly Samsung panels when they rolled out and were amazing. Now they are back to LG and its no surprise these faulty screens are back.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
LG is terrible and sole reason the iPad 2 was a major FAIL screen wise. The iPad 3rd gen were mostly Samsung panels when they rolled out and were amazing. Now they are back to LG and its no surprise these faulty screens are back.

For the time I had it, I never noticed anything wrong with the iPad 2's screen. As for LG panels in general, I must've been lucky, I'm on my third TV by that brand and they were all good quality.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
new iMac Late 2012 screen is better than Dell U2412Mb screen

Having seen the uneven backlight photo of the new iMac 21.5", I thought I'd do the same black jpeg test on my new Dell U2412Mb screen for my 2012 Mac mini. To my untrained eye the Dell looked/still looks black, really black and really good. With the iPhone 5 photo in a dim room, or even a nearly dim room - I get a worse backlight bleed than the first photos in this thread from the new iMac!

I'll try and post my images - but at the moment subjectively the new iMac looks around three times better than my new display. My new Dell is only calibrated with the Apple advanced calibration, I might have the brightness too high. I wonder if the camera is able to see that which our eyes cannot? I still think my Dell is great. I suppose I'll have to photo my 27" ACD now in a dark room and see how extensive the expensive Apple backlight bleed is?

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
The only problem with posting photos of the display is that the exposure of the photo can drastically impact how good or bad the bleed appears. Over exposing a photo will make the black screen look worse and the white screen look better.

I'd dare say I could make all of my screens at home (computer, iPhone, iPad, plasma tv) look good AND bad with the right exposure on a photo of them, yet I can't say I've ever noticed an issue with any of them.

Personally, if the screen looks good to the naked eye under normal usage then fine. If not, I'd replace it. Posting photos with auto exposing cameras and/or over posting over or under exposed photos probably puts more fear in people than is needed...IMO of course :)

Thank you.

It is after all your eyes that are looking at the screen, not your camera.

shortie8512

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Guildford, UK
There is a small bit of me that is hopeful of not having any issues, simply because I have ordered a BTO 21.5" and hopeful that someone tests it after fitting all my extra bits and might notice any screen defects before boxing it all up. One can hope at the very least!

Foxfan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Tested the black screen with the lights out on my iMac (21.5", also Chinese assembly) and my display is pretty much flawless. A tad brighter near the bottom but barely noticeable (and I was looking for it). No murky yellow areas at all.

Yours was definitely a bad one.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Having seen the uneven backlight photo of the new iMac 21.5", I thought I'd do the same black jpeg test on my new Dell U2412Mb screen for my 2012 Mac mini. To my untrained eye the Dell looked/still looks black, really black and really good. With the iPhone 5 photo in a dim room, or even a nearly dim room - I get a worse backlight bleed than the first photos in this thread from the new iMac!

I'll try and post my images - but at the moment subjectively the new iMac looks around three times better than my new display. My new Dell is only calibrated with the Apple advanced calibration, I might have the brightness too high. I wonder if the camera is able to see that which our eyes cannot? I still think my Dell is great. I suppose I'll have to photo my 27" ACD now in a dark room and see how extensive the expensive Apple backlight bleed is?
Tested the black screen with the lights out on my iMac (21.5", also Chinese assembly) and my display is pretty much flawless. A tad brighter near the bottom but barely noticeable (and I was looking for it). No murky yellow areas at all.

Yours was definitely a bad one.

Whew this gives me a glimpse of hope on my 27" that is coming in a few weeks. I really hope the screen is ok and if it isn't well it will go back to Apple the next day. I paid too much money to swallow an awful yellow screen w/ flashlights all over.

There is a small bit of me that is hopeful of not having any issues, simply because I have ordered a BTO 21.5" and hopeful that someone tests it after fitting all my extra bits and might notice any screen defects before boxing it all up. One can hope at the very least!
Yeah, they are supposedly hand calibrating these panels so anything bad should raise a flag not holding my breath though as you see the OP's.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I just tested my brand new iMac 21.5

Take a look at the lower right hand corner. Do you see any problem??? Or maybe just my eyes are too sensitive.

There is also a problem of back lighting. Take a look it. That's unacceptable.
If anyone of you have 2012 iMac, I suggest you to test the display first as you have probably paid a lot of money for it.

That's pretty atrocious backlight bleed, but I can't particularly see the issue on the whites though from the picture. Get it replaced.

wayne905

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Maple, Ontario, Canada
I also have an issue with my 2012 21.5" iMac. It has a yellow tint on the bottom 1/3 of the screen. In this area, white backgrounds appear like a sepia type of hue to them. I notice them on websites - like Macrumors...but as I scroll the same area up to the top of the screen, the background turns white. It's subtle but very annoying. Looks like I'll be returning it back to the store. Thank god this is a stock model - so hopefully they still have stock and can swap it out.

I also ordered a 27" BTO - so I'm now worried this one will also come with the same issue. If it does, this one will be more of a hassle to return since it's a BTO. I'm quite disasspointed that they haven't resolved this issue yet.

Ascer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
If it is a BTO model, will be a problem if you were to return due to defective problems?? :eek:

Foxfan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
I also have an issue with my 2012 21.5" iMac. It has a yellow tint on the bottom 1/3 of the screen. In this area, white backgrounds appear like a sepia type of hue to them. I notice them on websites - like Macrumors...but as I scroll the same area up to the top of the screen, the background turns white. It's subtle but very annoying. Looks like I'll be returning it back to the store. Thank god this is a stock model - so hopefully they still have stock and can swap it out.

I noticed this slight issue as well on forums, though I wouldn't consider it a defect. Pure whites are still white uniformly, and this is only noticed with the specific colour of the off-white/beige dialog box. If you tilt your screen or position yourself above and below it you'll see that it's related to your viewing angle. If your display is otherwise flawless I would keep it as. I sure rather keep mine than run the risk of getting a worse display.

globe

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Same issue

I just got my imac yesterday. Im unhappy with the display. The upper third of the display is ok, but the rest has a yello tint. Please view the pictures. Now I'm not sure if i should return it to apple or not. The two bars in the pictures have the same color.

Attachments

• IMG_7117_b.jpg
    IMG_7117_b.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_7118_b.jpg
    IMG_7118_b.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 297
Last edited:

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I've had my Chinese made 21.5" for a week now. The display is beautiful/flawless to my eyes.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
You have to live with this if you want thin screens. Ask yourself: why do NEC and Eizo still make displays 7-8cm thick with a serious bezel? Because it is the only way to get a very even backlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.